All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Is It Ok To Lay My PC Tower Horizontal?

KRC

I just wanted to know if it would be safe lying my PC Tower horizontal, I know im not supposed to cover up air vents I know that, but will it affect performance etc...

I've attached an image of what my PC kinda looks like. (got it off Google images)

As long as it still has good air flow and doesn't overheat, there should not be performance issues. As for the DVD drive, some drives are made to support both vertical and horizontal orientations, but most are not. If it doesn't have clips or tabs in the tray to hold a DVD in place while vertical, I'd bet it doesn't support a vertical orientation and would cause problems if you used it that way.

Just be mindful of your cabling inside. How it lays in the vertical position may not remain when on it's side and can block or deflect air flow within the case. Cable stays or zip ties are good for ensuring that they stay where you want them.

Honestly, why not just build it in and eliminate the case altogether? ;)

Well, I attached my mobo to a removable shelf I built and attached the hard drives and DVD drive to a small "cabinet" I built for them. Then I made sure to ventilate the box real well. In the end I can replace components without having to pull out the whole "tower" (since the cabinet itself is the tower). It just seems more fitting to me, especially if you have a dedicated computer for it anyway. :)

There may have been some dust on one or more of the fan blades that came off or the shift in position aligned a fan in such a way that the balance was better even if any dust build-up is still present. You may want to check that out any ways and spray some compressed air (PC off of course) and vacuum it out.