All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[APPLICATION] Abobo's Big Adventure (Offline GUI)

Adultery

ABOBO'S BIG ADVENTURE 1.4.1

(GUI/KEY MAPPER INTEGRATED VERSION)

post-680-0-02573600-1332316349_thumb.png post-680-0-36535500-1332316366_thumb.png

Here's the full changelog (I trimmed some posts to keep it centralized):

Version 1.4.1

• I added resolution to the options so you can specify how big you want the game to be.
  • Ditched the buttons and am just drawing buttons onto the form so it doesn't look wonky in bigger resolutions.
  • The buttons ill always be on top. Even if you specify the resolution of your screen in the options.
  • For programs that don't have a command line to kill them, you can now just write Kill in the "Exit Command" space to kill the process on closing. (No need to specify anything else, it kills in code now).
  • Did a few other code optimizations. :)

Version 1.4

• Now launches in full screen!
  • Added custom overlay.png functionality
    • Create your own to fit your machine/situation/resolution, just name it overlay.png and put it in the exe's root folder.
    • Image will be scaled to fit your screen, soit's suggested you try and get close to your monitor's resolution.
    • If you don't want to use an overlay, just take the overlay.png fie out of the root folder.

[*]Integrated options for your key mapping software of choice

• Specify your EXE or BAT file's position
    • OPTIONAL: Add command line arguments for before and after the game window launches
    • OPTIONAL: Set the key mapper to launch each time you run the game

[*]Added a "DONATE" button so you can show your support to the game devs!

• If you donate to the game designers you get "Abobo's Little Adventure" for free!
    • Unfortunately I'm broke these days, but if I can donate I'll integrate that game (or design a quick interface for it too)

[*]Settings for the keymapper are saved internally now, so you set it once and the app remembers your options automagically!

[*]Stepped away from using Picture Boxes and now paint the graphics directly onto the window.

• This is way more clean and accurate than my old method (as you can see from the images above).

[*]The options window got a "Read More" tab to take you to Abobo's "WTF is this game?" info page.

[*]I really tweaked the display area as best as I could. :)

• Now in addition to the viewable image being centered perfectly on the screen and a bit bigger, it fits more awesomely with the artwork.
    • If the overlay is too small/big for your setup, I'd be happy to send you a scaled copy and/or the PSD. Just ask. :)

[*]I added functions to save and write the Cookie Container upon open/exit.

• This has been deployed and tested and working fine on my machine.
    • The game settings are saved locally as a cookie container ("abobo.sav") thanks to some overrides and a little work with serialization
    • No more temp files, no more cookies to worry about. G'head, do your maintenance! :)

Consider this final, I've done all I set out to do. Enjoy my tweak on a rad flash game!

I take no credit for the game itself, or any of it's components (even the artwork is freely available)... I just made the GUI to tie it all together for my cab (their offline version is pretty "plain jane" and doesn't handle joy mapping software). Make sure you show your support for a great free game!

Requires .NET Framework 4.0 and (obviously) Flash installed to run.

Download the updated version here!

Check out Abobo on the web:

http://abobosbigadventure.com/

Official Abobo Trailer:

• Like 2

My guess is that it is saving something in the c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\ areas and possibly a few others. Not sure how you could keep those files from being deleted yet be rewritten s the program requires.

Easy. Save on exit, import when launched. Sounds easy anyhow... :)

For GameEx anyways. Screw everyone else! Lol!

I'm trying to port this game so I can play it offline on my cab (yeah, I want it that bad! LOL!). Anyone want to test this out for me?

post-680-0-90835400-1331945986_thumb.png

So long as it works, I'll make it full screen (well the form anyway... Wouldn't want to distort the game images), add some more gfx and add the code that retains the game save instead of wiping it out when you clean your history (as was mentioned earlier). Probably need some other minor tweaks too... Just need some results please. :)

Gracias mi amigos!!!. ;)

The game works, but I can't get it to work with my gamepad. If I can figure out how to manually map my keys then this would be awesome... There are embedded links in the "title screen" though that go out to the website, so those will have to be remapped to either not work at all, or you need to copy a generic HTML and relink it to a local path. I didn't play it far enough (since I don't have a working gamepad) to see if any of the save features work. But the game loads, and appears to be self contained.

I'm aware of the external links (I was just toying with this now). They say you need Joy2Key (or Xpadder) to map keys to the joypad on the website (I figured as much). The reason links don't work is this is an offline version (same with the ad server), but I'll add a class that looks for net connectivity and launches links in another window (and connects to the ad server but I'll have to get on with the creator for that).

Honestly this is more of a proof of concept than anything else. The final release will have all the resources embedded. This was just a "quick and dirty" version so I can see how it behaves in other environments.

Thanks for testing Han! I really appreciate it man. This is just the beginning if I can refine it (there's a couple more flash games I'd like to embed into an EXE too).

EDIT: Shit. After a re-read I see the links *do* work. Sorry I misread your post. I still wanna do a redirect on that and skip this if the web connectivity isn't there... I assumed they didn't work because I was offline when I tried it. :)

Yeah, thats why I mentioned it. I figured you were going for a full blown offline version, so you'd have to do some kinda remapping. I really wish I could get my gamepad to work with it though. It works fine with the keyboard so it shouldn't be that hard. Since you're building it as an exe, maybe you could incorporate some kinda custom joy2key interface.. just have it prompt for the key to use, and it just detects the directinput key you press.

Ahh that was supposed to read:

PS: I should get my own site *going* and stop muddying up the Social forum with my "projects"! 0=)

Updated again! Finished up the localization so you can stop worrying about temporary internet fies. Put this puppy to bed.

Enjoy and thanks everyone for the help in testing! Stay tuned for other flash games (since I already have the template! LOL!)

I'd still like some better way to remap for gamepads. I don't have xpadder/joy2key and don't have any emulators that need them, so I never bothered to get it. Would be kinda painful to install it just to get that support for this game. I'd love to play this game though!

GameEx has embedded key mapping support also... ;)

Downside is you'd have to set this game up as an emulator. I thought about trying to do that myself, but then I decided there were alternatives that were much more refine than anything I could accomplish, so I just put the "patch" in.