All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Video previews using VLC codecs

Koop

Has anyone gotten mp4 video previews to work using the VLC player codecs? I've heard people suggest using Shark007 codecs but I'd rather not use those if possible. One reason is that I've read that it automatically installs browser toolbars and other adware automatically. But the real reason is that VLC is my preferred video player.

In the video/movie player settings page in the Setup Wizard I have set the settings to use an external video player and pointed it to the vlc.exe file. Does anyone know if this changes the video player for the screensaver mode, video preview while browsing, and for manually playing videos in the multimedia section? Or does this only change the video player for the multimedia section?

Anyway, right now, if I use the Setup Wizard to adjust my MAME settings page to point to the video previews (MP4 HI_QUAL downloaded from EmuMovies) then all artwork in GameEx does not work, including the videos. If I remove those videos, then all my artwork comes back (snaps, cabinets, marquees, etc).

I'm running Windows XP with the latest GameEx version. Any other information needed for this topic?

Thanks.

well I guess I'm being impatient right now because I'm excited to get this working, so I installed the Shark007 codecs. It has worked so far. However, just before installing the codecs I started having problems with a constant flickering of the menu screens. At first it only happened once in a while after exiting and Atari 2600 game, now it is constant and comes back even after restarting GameEx. So the flickering is making it hard to tell if the video performance is doing good or not. It is stuttering, but that could be because of the flickering. So I'm going to try to fix the flickering problem now, and I may try downloading the low-res versions of the video snaps.

You can go into programs in Control Panel and remove the extra stuff Shark's codec pack installs. While I don't agree with his decisions regarding the extra stuff his codec pack is good at what it does, and it's easy to get rid of the junk.

I'm trying to mark this as resolved. Can't find the option to edit the title...

Marked as resolved! There's a little edit cog on the right of the screen on your post on the main page. Not sure If you're able to edit title as the forums were just updated and I have no way of checking since I'm a mod anyways.

But please do post your solution as it may benefit other users if they run into the same issue! Glad you got it sorted.

Well I haven't completely resolved it as I thought I had. Upon restarting my computer the flickering didn't come back when I restarted GameEx. But, it does start flickering again when I quit an Atari game and won't stop until a computer reboot. I'll look into it a little bit later, not too worried about Atari games right now. I'll also try another emulator (using Stella right now).