All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Gameex hangs

stigt

Hi all, I've been using gameex for years now and I ran into an unexpected problem today.

Gameex won't load into the emulator menus anymore. It hangs while displaying "Loading databases Arcade"

I think some file got corrupted somehow. Does anyboy know which file this could be and how I can repair this error?

Thanks in advance,

Arjen

Hi Arjen - can you do me a favor and go into the \gameex\DATA\ directory and delete all files with cache in them? Then start GameEx again (it will rebuild the cache files). I want to see if it resolves the issue or continues. If it continues, download GameEx 12.06 from the website and do a regular install. Don't worry, it will not overwrite your configuration (but would not hurt to backup your gameex.ini and custommenu.ini files if using custom menus to be safe).

Please let us know your progress one way or the other. Thanks!

Mike

It looks like it's just loading up your emulator caches... Have you tried just letting it sit and finish loading? How long have you waited? If it's truely hanging on the MAME part, I would erase that cache and recreate it, as it may have been corrupted.

Hi guys, thanks for your suggestions. I have tried them but until now to no avail. I have also tried to replace the complete Gameex/DATA folder with that of an old (working) backup. That didn't help the problem either.

It keeps hanging on "Loading Databases Arcade". I have waited about five minutes to see what would happen, but it just hangs.

I hope anyone can helpme out. Otherwise I have to reinstall the old backup, which means a lot of re-installing and re-configuring of emulators..

Regards,

Arjen

Try disabling 'GameEx Arcade' using the Configuration Wizard and see if that does the trick. I have an idea as to what may be causing it to hang.

You nailed it Adultery! that did the trick. Was this something from an update? because I can't seem to remember that I changed anything.

Anyway..thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Arjen

I was just about to suggest that too. I thought perhaps he wasn't online, and the database that was hanging was the "GameEx Arcade", not MAME. If he's not online, or doesn't have an account with GameEx Arcade, I could see that causing the problem. I just loaded up GameEx myself and saw it 'stall' a few seconds on "GameEx Arcade", but it's the last one, which would make him think that's whats hanging.

Glad you got it fixed Stigt! That was a new feature/addon recently added back about 8 or so updates ago. It gives you direct in-menu access to the GameEx arcade; an in-browser java/flash game room here: http://arcade.gameex.com/

You're welcome Arjen! Glad you got it solved. Can you tell us if you're connected to the net on the cab/htpc or not? I'd still like to figure out why it wouldn't progress.

You're welcome Arjen! Glad you got it solved. Can you tell us if you're connected to the net on the cab/htpc or not? I'd still like to figure out why it wouldn't progress.

Yeah, that may have caused the problem, normally I have a fast internet connection but this evening I am experiencing terrible speed problems, sometimes dipping to a couple of Kb/sec. So that may have caused the long pause, giving me the impression of a "hang". I didn't realise that gameex needed to fetch data online.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Slow connection will do it for sure, especially of the query is timing out. Thanks for the update! :)