All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Hi Tom,

I've a request :

Today, when I sort my games manufacturer, date and other, I have to select "GameEx setup" "interface mode" to normal.

In my theme, I use "interface mode" to "simple", for aesthetic reasons, because I do not want the menu bar.

My request : to keep the possibility to sort by without having to display the menu bar, assign a button that toggles manufacturer, date, name...

Is that possible ?

ENHANCEMENT REQUEST: This is with regards to the log.txt file data. In a typical log file, we have information regarding the OS being used. Is it possible to "plain text" the version based on x86 or x64 as well as if a Home, Professional, Enterprise version of the OS? This can be critical in directing some diagnostics to determine a resolution to some issues. Something like this:

20:38:27.9 04/10/2012: Opening Configuration File

20:38:27.9 04/10/2012: GameEx: Version 12.84: Starting Log

20:38:27.9 04/10/2012: Operating System Platform: Win32NT

20:38:27.9 04/10/2012: Operating System Name: Windows 7

20:38:27.9 04/10/2012: Operating System Version: 6.1.7601

20:38:27.9 04/10/2012 Operating System Edition: Enterprise

20:38:27.9 04/10/2012 Operating System Type: 64-Bit Operating System

20:38:27.9 04/10/2012: Aero running...

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this as a question but I think this is a much better place.

Option to select the default monitor to display GameEx, in case you have more than 2 (like me) right now you can only select main, and secondary but I want to use my 4th monitor. :)

Been asked before. But would love to see folders like under movies etc. for systems.

Example : Sega Genesis

-No-Intro

-TOSEC

-Prototypes

-Hacks

Right now I have to set up a seperate emulator for each of these.

Doing it like above I have one emulator setup, but can open any of the folders and see and run only ther games under that folder

I would like to make a request -

If it's possible, please add an option to where a user can add a control panel image to daphne emulator...the kind that pops up before the game starts lol.

It can be located under "Daphne Games" in the Setup Wizard, so that each game can have its own control panel :)

a feature request,

as you may know (or not) bsnes 0.91 started a new way of loading roms, it uses folders instead of files, like this:

nameofgame.sfc/program.rom

nameofgame.sfc/manifest.xml

the problem with this new way it that GameEx does not recognizes this folders as actual roms, so I am requesting a way to have it read those folder as roms :)

more information on this thread

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/11931-bsnes-v091-rom-path-problems/

Thanks!

Feature Request: Progress Bar for loading zipped roms.

Reason: I have zipped all of my Wii, Gamecube, PS1 and PS2 Roms with 7z. Sometimes it takes up to 10 minutes to load a game. It would be a neat feature to have a progress bar while the game is unzipping itself.

• Like 2

Hi Tom !

Watching a video this weekend on YouTube I got an idea that can be good to GameEx.

In my setup I only use joysticks to select a game.

So, for example when I want to select a game with the first letter "R" I have to go trough the entire list.

Yes, we have the search option, but I tought about something more quick.

My request is, when you press a key, a small box pop on the GameEx screen and allow you to select a letter.

So after you select the letter, you jump to that letter section on the game list.

For the guys that play RockBand, it's the same concept.

You press a Key, an small menu allow you to select a letter, and then jump in the list to that letter.

This video shows what I'm talking about : http://tinyurl.com/93kp9h

Here's an exemple :

post-4791-0-22878600-1348528233_thumb.jp

Thanks to Everyone !

Not quite what you're asking for but it is possible to scroll by letter, so on my cab holding down a button and tapping the joystick left or right skips forward or backwards by letter, which saves a lot of time when I want to play X'aind Sleena :)

For me I'd like to be able to add games back into the main list without having to go into the ingore rom settings. I like how the search function still finds games that I've deleted from the main list, and from there I can play them or add them to favourites but it'd really handy to also have an option to add them back onto the main list.

Would like to have the option of setting a non-default display show the gameex interface. Example, laptop with additional monitor connected. Additional monitor connected is set as default display but in this situation would like the display on the laptop to show the gameex interface.

Request.

The possibility to change font color per emulator/module.

This would unlock more possibilities for the creative. :)

yes. this. I was originally wanting to have the emulator names more subdued next to the console names, like:

Sega Dreamcast (Ootake)

so deisgns can be nicer, but maybe we just need some kind of info or tooltip for those issues?

Coverflow or similar type of display would require changes within the display engine proper. I would say it is within the realm of possibility but that would be up to the authors to research and implement. I have requested it previously.

Personally, I don't use GameEx as a multimedia player in Win 7 Media Center, I have been using the MediaBrowser plugin (which is excellent) before I ended up buying GameEx and really have no interest in those features or the karaoke. I love the core of GameEx which is gaming and a launchpad - so given that, I may not be the best person to comment on this so take it with a grain of salt, and hopefully you don't mind other feedback here... To me Coverflow is a gimmick and not eminently usable at all -whether for games or media files. It was catchy when Apple first introduced artwork to the ipod, but loading issues and the "3D" skewing of artwork just makes the user experience crappy to me, and many coverflow implementations don't have proper physics which further impair the usabilty.

So my two cents is if there are other features more key to the core functions of gameex that get sidelined in development for a coverflow view, I'd suggest that may not be the best idea. MediaBrowser has coverflow views (which may look snazzy but I never use them), and on my htpc I find a grid or list to work much better from the couch. I feel the same about 3D carousel pickers etc. They put too much screenspace and emphasis on the currently selected item and hamper the scanning of large numbers of items to help you find the one you want. Hope you don't mind my feedback... :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is a request for you. The ability to add custom buttons (with a custom icon that you can make png images) to your theme which where you place them can launch an external program when you click on them or to goto box images, manuals ect ect. Why you say would I want to do that well on my theme I have the game info disable for good reason but would still be nice if I can click on a button not a text menu to see the manuals or tv commercials for each game.

(More) flexible solution for GameEx to show marquee-pictures and videos in different menus

When I started using GameEx my main point was classic arcade games / Mame.

I began searching fo a nice theme and found one in the "Maximum Arcade theme" (see attached picture)

GameEx only shows a marquee-picture (in the marquee section of the cab) when I select a Mame-game in the "Game-list Menu". I would also like GameEx to show a custom marquee (and video) when I'm in the startmenu or any other submenu prior to the "Game-list Menu". Instead of showing a (custom) marquee-picture in these menus GameEx shows a video in the marque-section of the cab. Very strange and frustrating! <_<

The marquee section of the cab is the "image2-object" of this theme and at this point it's not possible to set a custom marquee in the menus prior to the "Game-list Menu". It's also not possible for GameEx to show a custom video at these menus.

Because it's absolutely no option (for me) showing a video in the marquee section of the cab I had to choose to NOT use marquee-pictures as "image2-object". My temporary solution: I made the image2-object 'invisible' by changing the x/y variable" and changed the fixed backgroundpicture of the theme in the marquee section of the cab to show a default marquee-picture in every menu of GameEx.

I still find it not too flexible that GameEx cannot always show a marquee in the image2-object. A marquee which changes per game in the gamelist-menu and for example shows a fixed marquee in the menus prior to the gamelist-menu (for example start menu or submenu prior to gamelist-menu).

Maybe something for future...? I really hope so ;)

post-10451-0-78744800-1355401256_thumb.j

I can do this. In fact I may even not make it an option and do it anyway. Seems to make sense now things should be pretty snappy.

Here is an updated exe that loads everything at startup (after the animation and display has been initialised so you see progress). Is this satisfactory? If so I will keep it for next release. I think we can safely load everything at startup now.

GameEx.zip