All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Hi Tom,

I have a request about a possibility to customize the popup game description, especially to adjust the display duration (permanent if possible) and the possibility to custom this window. It will be nice for my futur theme.
Thanks

Hi, I just wanted to pop in and second this request. It would be nice to set the duration to permanent and possibly be able to do something with the rating stars.

Hi, I just wanted to pop in and second this request. It would be nice to set the duration to permanent and possibly be able to do something with the rating stars.

Thrided! Ability to rate games would be fab + alsoa screen to 'sort by rating' etc. Also (haven't had time to look into this properly yet) the ability to manually set catagories for console games (e.g. lightgun games) + then some kinda search facility tosort games by cross-platorm catagory and also to search for catagory within platform etc...

• 2 weeks later...

ooops - already posted bits of this above. However, query directed here as another request:

---------------------------------------------------

Soo.. the backend db stuff in GameEx is as mysterious as Dr Who's life insurance policy.

Dabbled a bit with PHP and MySQL years ago, but just wondering....

Built up lots of games over lots of platforms. What would be great is if:

1. Could classify games (like in mame) as lightgun, racing etc...

2. You could group games together, across platform in "classic series" - like R-Type, Wipeout and (for illustration) Street fighter. Then - you could go into a separate "Classic Series" page which would give the series name + then sub pages of the game (e.g. R-Type 2) to sub page of platforms.

3. Star ratings!!! Rate each game on the fly. Also to include other user-specific fields for each game (I dunno.. like 'nostalgia rating' - user defined ones - ya know?)

I guess this would involve having some kinda user specific db + accompanying tools to batch/gui process them would be a bonus!

Just remembering a touchscreen jukebox software I used to use years ago ( "Nordbeat's Jukebox"). You used to be bale to rate/favorite on the fly and then display custom views based on this.

-----------------------------------------

Just wanna say big thanks to all you guys doing the coding behind the scenes. I've spent all week, all day, every day wrestling with a controls mapping database system. Thought it would take a couple of days to knock together. Not even half way through yet. I dunno how you guys do it and stay cheerful/sane!

Keep on fighting the goof (<eeep - bad typo!!) good fight!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small request. Any chance in the "stats" area on GameEx their can be some run time stats for the system itself as a whole.

Longest uptime for the system

Total Uptime for the system

Total games played, combined

Maybe uptimes for each emulator on your system?

I like the individual game stats but as a stat junky I think a system stat section would be neat too. But not necessary.

thanks for listening,

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

This is a request that was previously posted in the General forum.

I run MAME and most other emulators with hide desktop turned on. This has always worked fine. I recently setup some Type X games using the loader exes created by ArcadePC Loader. These run in a separate emulator in GameEx which has hide desktop turned off (necessary for the Type X games). All works perfectly except for one thing. If I run a Type X game, then exit back to GameEx, then run a MAME game (or any other emulator), the desktop now shows while the game is loading (instead of the normal black screen). All else seems to function normally. GameEx remains in this state until I exit and restart it.

This does not happen with other emulators (like Visual Pinball) that have hide desktop turned off. So it appears have something to do with what the Type X game loader is doing. Perhaps by killing some process used by GameEx (HideOS?).

Anyway, given that the TTX games run very well and reliably now under the latest ArcadePC Loader, it would be nice if a fix could be devised for this.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Could we add a "Table of Contents" or some sort of drop-down menu at the beginning of the SetupWizard so you may jump to a section in the Wizard?

Just so when I need to make one little change to an emulator I'm not clicking the forward button 14 times to get their?

A "Just Play" button.

So if I'm hovering over a games name on the large list of MAME games, If I click Button 1 it does what it does now, and goes to the next page and shows me the info of the game, options to look at other metadata, and play the game.

What if at the game list and I pressed "Start"(or whatever button) Instead of bring me to the info page, it just started the game instead? Just to take out one less menu for games we already know and love.

Could we add a "Table of Contents" or some sort of drop-down menu at the beginning of the SetupWizard so you may jump to a section in the Wizard?

Just so when I need to make one little change to an emulator I'm not clicking the forward button 14 times to get their?

Have you tried using Search? I find it is the best option and you can go right to what you need to update.

If you use the Custom mode on the Welcome to the GameEx Setup Wizard screen (the first screen), you will also find that it has what basically amounts to a Table of Contents screen (the Custom Select screen). This screen will allow you to select a single screen to navigate to or even select your own custom screen flow consisting of multiple screens. It's the only way to fly (through your settings)! :) What's even better is that the Setup Wizard will remember your screen selections between runs of the program.

If you use the Custom mode on the Welcome to the GameEx Setup Wizard screen (the first screen), you will also find that it has what basically amounts to a Table of Contents screen (the Custom Select screen). This screen will allow you to select a single screen to navigate to or even select your own custom screen flow consisting of multiple screens. It's the only way to fly (through your settings)! :) What's even better is that the Setup Wizard will remember your screen selections between runs of the program.

I did come across this, and it's great. So that little check is covered then.

Also I would love the xpadder plugin to work per game with steam games ;)

Me too, but I don't think Steam tells me what game is running. I'll look into it though.

When using gamebase it would really be handy to have a "launch before" and "launch after" option for all those of us who use an IPAC. This way the IPAC can map any spare buttons to keyboard buttons that are handy.... IE Amiga and Atari ST only have one fire button, however depending on the game its common to use F1, F2, 1, 2 to actually start a game. This would make the gamebase feature perfect for setups like mine which is a cab, no keyboard.

When using gamebase it would really be handy to have a "launch before" and "launch after" option for all those of us who use an IPAC. This way the IPAC can map any spare buttons to keyboard buttons that are handy.... IE Amiga and Atari ST only have one fire button, however depending on the game its common to use F1, F2, 1, 2 to actually start a game. This would make the gamebase feature perfect for setups like mine which is a cab, no keyboard.

Seconded.. If only for just having a launch before feature to show images. One thing I miss having is all my customized controller images I created that show what the mapping is for a given emulator. With GameBase, there's nothing that shows up to say what my controls are for that system. Granted, I only have like 4 GameBases in my system, but it would be nice to know that I had mapped 3 buttons on Atari 800 for Start, Select, and Option without mashing all the keys on my keyboard trying to figure out what I had mapped it to.

Me again... in the advanced emulator config you can set the joystick to function as a mouse and the first two buttons work as mouse buttons. The only thing missing is the ability to allocate two buttons to use for scroll wheel up and down... many games use the scroll wheel

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, i would have three requests:

1) A menu item that can be opened only entering a code. It would be great if is in arcade-style (like when we insert our name for the highscore: _ _ _ ). I would use this feature for protecting "update game list" and other things.

2) I know that i've asked this other times in the past but i'd really like more support for the 640x480 and 800x600 layout themes. In particular i'd want a default theme version (i like it) for 640x480 resolution.

3) Other thing that i've already asked but I take this opportunity for repeat it. I'd really like an autolaunch feature (only for mame if too difficult) of 1 game chosen before between all games.

Anyway keep it up! you are strong!

Bye!

1) A menu item that can be opened only entering a code. It would be great if is in arcade-style (like when we insert our name for the highscore: _ _ _ ). I would use this feature for protecting "update game list" and other things.

There is the Login plugin by Headkaze that you could setup a separate account for yourself to logon and access admin level features and a guest account that could be setup to be more restrictive. Not quite what you are looking for, but an alternative.

2) I know that i've asked this other times in the past but i'd really like more support for the 640x480 and 800x600 layout themes. In particular i'd want a default theme version (i like it) for 640x480 resolution.

The support for 640x480 and 800x600 themes is native to GameEx. The creation of the themes in those resolutions, is up to the members of the GameEx community to create and share back. If there is no interest in doing so, and you have an idea in mind, then time to play with the Theme Editor and other graphic editing tools to create your own! That is what many of us do.

Ok, thanks for the answer.

I've tried to use the theme editor but it can't create a theme with the same features of default theme (for example). Or, perhaps, i'm not good enough for this work (i don't want exclude that...)

Bye!

Ok, thanks for the answer.

I've tried to use the theme editor but it can't create a theme with the same features of default theme (for example). Or, perhaps, i'm not good enough for this work (i don't want exclude that...)

Bye!

The Theme Editor is best for placement of the various elements within a theme (List, Image1 & 2, Time & date, etc.). Many of us that create our own themes use tools such as GIMP (which is free) or Adobe Photoshop to create the various background and foreground images that comprise the visual styles of the theme. You can find more about where to obtain these programs here. This thread is also a good place to ask questions during your theme creating process.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we add a feature that lets us adjust when GameEx starts to play ambience? It'd be nice to be able to adjust when the ambience launches, fades in etc. Editing sound files seems to be the only option currently.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like gameextender to be able to render animated GIFs as part of a second screen while in the menus and during gameplay. The idea is that you can use a tool like imagemagick -convert to generate an animated GIF from snap, title, banner, etc. and have it rotate on a second screen.

Thanks,

Jonathan