All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Got Windows 7, an old Xbox 360 HDD and Transfer Cable?

Draco1962

Got Windows 7, an old Xbox 360 HDD and Transfer Cable? If so, you now have an external HDD for your PC or Xbox 360! Using the Disk Management utility under Computer Management, you can format the old HDD as a simple volume. Simply connect the transfer cable to the HDD and plug into an available USB slot. Next Open Computer Management.

Now you will be given format choices; FAT32 or NTFS. If you want to be able to use the HDD directly connected to the Xbox 360 as an additional storage drive, then FAT32 is the choice you will make as the 360 does not support NTFS. You will need to be mindful that Fat32 only supports up to 32GB of storage so if you are formatting a drive larger than the 20GB HDD, you will need to create about 3 logical partitions.

If you are only interested in using it as an external drive for your PC, then NTFS is probably the way to go. If you have your 360 properly networked you can stream music files, etc. via the network from this drive at any rate.

You can actually format large drives in FAT32 using SwissKnife V3 without the need for partitions. I used it to convert an 80GB external HDD for use with my PS3.

True. I believe you can do so with Partition Magic as well. The process was primarily taking the "free" route using the available tools within the OS. BTW, I formatted my old 360 HDD today and confirmed it indeed works as I described! The transfer cable is powering the HDD via the USB and running as we speak. The only issue with sitting it on the desk is that the transfer cable connects under the HDD enclosure. Since it is proprietary, I may take the enclosure apart (need to find my Torx head) and see if it can be bypassed and a standard USB cable attached with a little modification (and my wife says I never use my Dremmel... hah!) and use it instead of investing in a new enclosure.

You have a dremmel tool? Man I want one sooo bad! Always have! Man I would love to use it for projects... *drools*

It's a standard 2 1/2" hard drive inside. You should be able to use standard SATA connections, but that defeats the whole purpose. I'm pretty sure you can disconnect the cable running from the outside connection on the case to the HD and use that though.

Yeah, I considered that as well, but with the goal of keeping it on the cheap by putting to use what is usually discarded after upgrading to the larger drive, figured I could get by with it.

Well, unless I do some major carving on my Master Chief Halo 2 Helmet, modding it into an external hard drive case for the 2.5" 20GB HDD will not happen, at leas using the 360 enclosure and transfer cable scheme. Have found a powered SATA/IDE to USB connector, however, that will allow me to do so without having to carve anything at all - will just need to fashion a drive cage to insert so that it does not move about much.

I wonder what it would take to add a few LEDs to each side of the helmet....

Not as much work as you think Drac! You can get LEDs on the net that use all kinds of sockets, and you're really unlimited on what you can do no matter how small the space.

Not as much work as you think Drac! You can get LEDs on the net that use all kinds of sockets, and you're really unlimited on what you can do no matter how small the space.

And I can still use the Dremmel? :P

I am thinking about backing off on the 20GB in the helmet for now. I actually have a spare 250GB IDE drive (twice the size) that I may use for the 360.

I may just put time (as it becomes available) into modding the helmet itself - inflicting battle damage, installing switchable LEDs in the helmet light areas on either side, etc. The base it comes with is nice if you want a "show piece" but, to be honest, I would rather have it sitting on a base of sand and rocks, maybe next to a small ammo canister with a few depleted rounds lying on the ground next to it to give the appearance that it has been abandoned after a desperate fight (where's the owner? Is he dead or alive?). Also considering modding the case of my 360 to match the canister and give it a place on the same base.

I designed war dioramas as a kid and into my early adulthood using 1/48 and 1/32 scale WWII and space models. That will mean dusting off those old mad skilz and acquiring some new techniques (may have to actually learn how to solder! Gads!). Definitely a motivator to clean up the garage and build the new work bench I have threatened over the years (and lock up my Dremmel from Adultery).

What? You can't solder? Duuuude! It's not even hard! ;)

I bet you could learn in 10 minutes, and do it cleanly in 30.