All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Setup Zinc as own Emulator

griggs619

Hey whats up everyone here i go again with the zinc questions lol. I have decided i would like to set up Zinc as its own emulator outside of mame. i am using Dfreaks Zinc GUI ver.1.9.5 to map all the keys to my xbox 360 controller so im guessing i would need to launch Dfreakes Zinc GUI from gameex so all my keys stay mapped? i have read it can be a bit tricky to setup zinc without native support but i could not find any real guides or anything. can anyone please point me to a guide/thread i may have missed or help me out in anyway? my main problem is always the command line? thanks

gameex zinc ini.txt

Hi griggs

I am using the same GUI as you so I should be able to help. Now you were talking about command line launching, this is not required when using the GUI. The GUI does all the hard work for you. Now you were correct in saying you will have to get GameEx to launch the GUI, but this is all you need to do on GameEx's end. I have configured GameEx to lauch the GUI from the additional programs section.

When you open the GUI, you should see your games in a list. You simply click on a game and then click on "run now", to play the game. To configure controls, you need to configure each games controls individually. This is done by clicking on "setup controller". Then you come to a screen where you can assign your buttons. (I have no knowledge on getting it to work with a 360 pad BTW, I'm not even sure if you can, but this is how it's normally done) Anyway, after you do this you click on "OK" and then if you save your config - by either clicking on "save and run" or clicking on a new game and saying yes to the save prompt, you will not need to configure the buttons for that game again, if you want to use same buttons of cause.

If you find some games run slow there are a few things you can do, I'll explain them to you if you need me to, okay.

Edit: Also, there's a bug in the program which causes three games (I think) to not have the correct button configuration data saved for them. There is a way round this though. If you can get your pad working for some games, bearing in mind what I just said, I will help you remedy this issue if you want.

Second Edit: Actually, I think I misinterpreted what you wanted. In that case I'm sorry for wasting your time reading my post. My way would have just loading up ZincGUI, where you could then select the game you want and play it. You want to be able to view everything from within GameEx up in till you launch a game, don't you. I can't really help there sorry.

No! Would not launch ZincGUI. That would be launching a frontend from a frontend. And it wouldn't be very cab-friendly. Once you have your configs setup then you would utilize the command-line to call the controls for that game. I would have to see the files that it sets up to know exactly how to accomplish this. Best to hit me up for real-time support again.

And it wouldn't be very cab-friendly.

Unless you have a touch screen with the cursor hidden, as well as using a snapshot for each game, plus hiding the graphic options, pre configuring all of the config stuff and setting the GUI up (not just the games) to open in full screen view. ;)

Though doing it through GameEx would be more cab friendly. I couldn't get it working when I tried, so I'm not using it, but I didn't try that hard to sort it out. It's something I may very well want to do one day. I think I probably will actually.

Unless you have a touch screen with the cursor hidden, as well as using a snapshot for each game, plus hiding the graphic options, pre configuring all of the config stuff and setting the GUI up (not just the games) to open in full screen view. ;)

Though doing it through GameEx would be more cab friendly. I couldn't get it working when I tried, so I'm not using it, but I didn't try that hard to sort it out. It's something I may very well want to do one day. I think I probably will actually.

"To each their own!" I just don't see the point in having a different frontend being launched when GameEx can handle it. It's just an extra unneeded task.

Second Edit: Actually, I think I misinterpreted what you wanted. In that case I'm sorry for wasting your time reading my post. My way would have just loading up ZincGUI, where you could then select the game you want and play it. You want to be able to view everything from within GameEx up in till you launch a game, don't you. I can't really help there sorry.

Thanks for your reply Dan Dan this is correcrt in what im trying to do. sorry if my post is a bit confusing. thanks again for trying.

No! Would not launch ZincGUI. That would be launching a frontend from a frontend. And it wouldn't be very cab-friendly. Once you have your configs setup then you would utilize the command-line to call the controls for that game. I would have to see the files that it sets up to know exactly how to accomplish this. Best to hit me up for real-time support again.

cool, you the man frequency. I will take you up on that offer. As always i appreciate all your support.

"To each their own!" I just don't see the point in having a different frontend being launched when GameEx can handle it. It's just an extra unneeded task.

I agree, furthermore it does ruin the aesthetic consistency and also, I have a few other issues with it. Like I said though, I couldn't get it to work when I tried and I couldn't be bothered to find out what I did wrong, so I left it. I think I will want to in the future though!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody knows what i must pput in the command line in the gameex advanced emulator setup for zinc to start a game ?

you are using integrated zinc support or are you setting it up as a separate emulator?

if you are using the integrated support,you dont have to enter the CL,GameEX does it for you

you are using integrated zinc support or are you setting it up as a separate emulator?

if you are using the integrated support,you dont have to enter the CL,GameEX does it for you

I'm using the integrated zinc support. When i don't enter the CL in the advanced emulator setting of Zinc the option to start Zinc emulator in Gameex isn't visible.

Can you tell me what you've entered in the seperated Zinc setup / Advanced setup to get the emulator work ? I have only entered in the Zinc options the value --renderer=.\renderer.zinc. In the advanced emulator settings CL Zinc.exe. Thnx.