All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Trying to set up ZX Spectrum emulation

Ringoko

I'm trying to set up spectaculator in gameex, but i had a good search and couldn't seem to find a guide. Doubtless its out there and i'm using the wrong terms.

Anyway, spectaculator itself is set up, playing games and is good to go.

I'm guessing I've now got to set up an .ini file, paste it into C:\GameEx\CONFIG\EMULATORS\IMPORT-EXPORT, then follow tempests "How to setup an emulator in GameEx" thread. But really I've no clue.

Any pointers appreciated :)

• 1 month later...

i've tried emuzwin, with the command "C:\GameEx\Emulators\EmuZWin\EmuZwin.exe C:\GameEx\Roms\ZX Spectrum\[ROMFILE] /PAUSE /FULLSCREEN /ESCEXIT"

which starts the emulator, but not in full screen mode, and the game is usually the one last played rather than any new game selected.

anyone who has ANY spectrum emu working, please help...

i've tried emuzwin, with the command "C:\GameEx\Emulators\EmuZWin\EmuZwin.exe C:\GameEx\Roms\ZX Spectrum\[ROMFILE] /PAUSE /FULLSCREEN /ESCEXIT"

which starts the emulator, but not in full screen mode, and the game is usually the one last played rather than any new game selected.

anyone who has ANY spectrum emu working, please help...

I'm a little confused about your post as your topic title states you're using Spectaculator and yet your command line shows EmuZWin. So which are you using so I can test for you? As far as EmuZWin I would use the following:

EmuZWin.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" /PAUSED /FULLSCREEN /ESCEXIT

Your posted /PAUSE switch wasn't in EmuZWin's documentation. The correct switch is /PAUSED. I'll wait for your answer so I can test your problems.

hey, thanks for the reply. i was using spectaculator when i first posted this thread, but since then i noticed most people use emuzwin with frontends so i switched to that. as to why i used /PAUSE, i had searched for emuzwin on here and was just pasting from an .ini someone else had used, though that post was made in '06 or '07.

anyway, i used your command line and at least the correct game loads now. it struggles with fullscreen in windows 7, like it flickers to fullscreen then gives up and reverts to windowed mode. if i then go to view > display mode > full screen, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt, though if it does go full screen it always shows the task bar.

also i'd tried zx spin, which seems a lot more stable and has no problem with full screen. but with the command i was using (simply: ZXSpin.exe "[ROMFILE]") it kept saying it couldnt find the rom, even though i made sure of the paths.

i've got a feeling maybe i should just pay for spectaculator, because at least that supports win7.

hey, thanks for the reply. i was using spectaculator when i first posted this thread, but since then i noticed most people use emuzwin with frontends so i switched to that. as to why i used /PAUSE, i had searched for emuzwin on here and was just pasting from an .ini someone else had used, though that post was made in '06 or '07.

anyway, i used your command line and at least the correct game loads now. it struggles with fullscreen in windows 7, like it flickers to fullscreen then gives up and reverts to windowed mode. if i then go to view > display mode > full screen, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt, though if it does go full screen it always shows the task bar.

also i'd tried zx spin, which seems a lot more stable and has no problem with full screen. but with the command i was using (simply: ZXSpin.exe "[ROMFILE]") it kept saying it couldnt find the rom, even though i made sure of the paths.

i've got a feeling maybe i should just pay for spectaculator, because at least that supports win7.

I too was having issues while testing for you trying to get it to go fullscreen from command-line using Win7. I'll do some more testing when I get home which won't be later tonight. About 4 hours after this post. I'll do some research from emulation sites I visit frequently to see what the recommended emulator for this system is.

Still having problems with EmuZWin in Windows 7. I did have more luck with ZXSpin however. Try the following command-line:

ZXSpin.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

It can't find the rom cuz you're not including the path in the command-line.

Not really a solution but EmuZWin just seems to have problems with Windows 7. I'm sure there might be a work around but I'm not willin to spend too much time on it. LOL. ZXSpin did get a better review on one of my frequently visited sites. So worth a try. If not then Spectaculator I'm sure is a great front-end since still in development and commercial. But I'm all for the free ones especially when it comes to emulation.

ZX Spin 0.7 works perfectly with that command line. at first i got a run time error whenever i quit, but they seem to have stopped. i'm running it as a +2 rather than the default 48K, so maybe the games i have are 128k versions.

thanks again for sorting me out.

ZX Spin 0.7 works perfectly with that command line. at first i got a run time error whenever i quit, but they seem to have stopped. i'm running it as a +2 rather than the default 48K, so maybe the games i have are 128k versions.

thanks again for sorting me out.

No problem. Glad you got it sorted out. Have fun! :D

I'm using ZX Spin v0.7s which is not the most stable ZX spin, but has some nice features. That's the most recent version I can find.

The poor backwards compatibility of 128k speccys means I have set up 2 different emulator folders, one for 16-48ks and the other for 128k onwards. Many older games crash unless they are loaded from 48k mode. 128k spectrums are good for preloading all of the levels at once in certain games and AY music. A command line switch to set the hardware would be good if you know it.