All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Visual Pinball

kingb33

Hi!

I've been using Visual Pinball/ PinMAME for years and would like to add it to GameEx. I've researched these forums and found various bits of information and a couple of walk thru's. I've followed them step by step with no success.....Is their a "definitive" walkthru? That tells you "exactly" what you need to do step by step? Exactly what files you need and where exactly to put them?

I tried using this to set it up with no luck...

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?sh...amp;#entry37551

and even the tutorial on the site with no luck

http://www.gameex.net/Support/Tutorials/ta...79/Default.aspx

>>>When I try to play a pinball table it starts up visual pinball and then i get a pop up error in visual pinball saying "error loading game" with a button to click "ok." (visual pinball works just fine outside of gameex) the it takes me back to the games list in gameex.

I also downloaded these and threw them in gameex (not sure if i even put them in the right spot?)

Attached File PinballConfigs.zip ( 1.11K ) Number of downloads: 22

Can someone please help me out? I've spent many hours trying to get this to work with no luck.

Thanks

BTW awesome frontend! I'll be registering it this weekend!!(

Hi!

I've been using Visual Pinball/ PinMAME for years and would like to add it to GameEx. I've researched these forums and found various bits of information and a couple of walk thru's. I've followed them step by step with no success.....Is their a "definitive" walkthru? That tells you "exactly" what you need to do step by step? Exactly what files you need and where exactly to put them?

I tried using this to set it up with no luck...

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?sh...amp;#entry37551

and even the tutorial on the site with no luck

http://www.gameex.net/Support/Tutorials/ta...79/Default.aspx

>>>When I try to play a pinball table it starts up visual pinball and then i get a pop up error in visual pinball saying "error loading game" with a button to click "ok." (visual pinball works just fine outside of gameex) the it takes me back to the games list in gameex.

I also downloaded these and threw them in gameex (not sure if i even put them in the right spot?)

Attached File PinballConfigs.zip ( 1.11K ) Number of downloads: 22

Can someone please help me out? I've spent many hours trying to get this to work with no luck.

Thanks

BTW awesome frontend! I'll be registering it this weekend!!(

Launch the gameex advanced configureation. Goto the Emu slot for VisualPinball and EXPORT your config.

Post it here so we can see what your trying to do.

Hi Brian thx for the quick responses

here it is (ive messed with it to much that it may be all messed up) one thing i noticed is that in setting up the emulator there is only an option path to point to the pinball "roms" but not the "tables" themselves....why is that? Also for some weird reason all my screenshots don't show up, only some of them....actually whats weird is that some of the pinball tables show a screenshot of my desktop??

[Emulator_3]

Enabled=False

STARTPAGENAME=Pinball Games

TITLETEXT=Pinball

StartPageLogo=pinball

ROMFilter=*.vpt

RomPath=C:\Program Files\PINBALL\ROMs

SnapPath=C:\Program Files\VPLauncher\Screenshots

TitlePath=

BoxPath=

CartPath=

ManualPath=

ControlPanelPath=

InstructionsPath=

WorkingPath=C:\Program Files\PINBALL

MapKeys=True

WaitBeforeKeys=

SendKeys=

ReplaceDash=True

ReplaceUnder=True

Capitals=True

RemoveBrackets=True

ShowDesktop=True

Debug=False

MAPFile=

AlsoLaunch=[apppath]\vpauto.exe

Command=..\VPinball-XPFix4.exe -play -"[ROMFILE]"

OLDatZip=

LaunchBefore=

LaunchAfter=

configFile=Project 64 V2

ExcludedFiles=

CustomBackground=ArrowDown.png

PlayMusic=

DontShowInfo=

PlaySelectionMusic=

SelectionMusicFolder=

PCGame=

DATABASE=VISUALPINBALL

GamesIn7Zips=

PlayInScreenSaver=True

ShowMostPlayed=

RandomMostPlayed=

CDCheck=

CDCheckFile=

[GENERAL]

DumbyValue=

Hi Brian thx for the quick responses

here it is (ive messed with it to much that it may be all messed up) one thing i noticed is that in setting up the emulator there is only an option path to point to the pinball "roms" but not the "tables" themselves....why is that? Also for some weird reason all my screenshots don't show up, only some of them....actually whats weird is that some of the pinball tables show a screenshot of my desktop??

[Emulator_3]

Enabled=False

STARTPAGENAME=Pinball Games

TITLETEXT=Pinball

StartPageLogo=pinball

ROMFilter=*.vpt

RomPath=C:\Program Files\PINBALL\ROMs

TitlePath=

BoxPath=

CartPath=

ManualPath=

ControlPanelPath=

InstructionsPath=

WorkingPath=C:\Program Files\PINBALL

MapKeys=True

WaitBeforeKeys=

SendKeys=

ReplaceDash=True

ReplaceUnder=True

Capitals=True

RemoveBrackets=True

ShowDesktop=True

Debug=False

MAPFile=

AlsoLaunch=[apppath]\vpauto.exe

Command=..\VPinball-XPFix4.exe -play -"[ROMFILE]"

OLDatZip=

LaunchBefore=

LaunchAfter=

configFile=Project 64 V2

ExcludedFiles=

CustomBackground=ArrowDown.png

PlayMusic=

DontShowInfo=

PlaySelectionMusic=

SelectionMusicFolder=

PCGame=

DATABASE=VISUALPINBALL

GamesIn7Zips=

PlayInScreenSaver=True

ShowMostPlayed=

RandomMostPlayed=

CDCheck=

CDCheckFile=

[GENERAL]

DumbyValue=

First off I notice that your filter is for VPT... (VISUAL PINBALL TABLES) So your rompath needs to be the directory your tables are in.

The second thing I notice is your using a loader that inst supported. Please look at the config I posted that you refrenced. Make the command and the launch before the same as my working config. You may need to change the name of your vissualpinball.exe to match whats in the config.

Brian,

I asked this before, but you must have missed it. I used your setup for Visual pinball/Pinmame (very nice BTW) and in the config you supplied, it shows Config=project 64 V2, as shown above. Is that Correct?

Brian,

I asked this before, but you must have missed it. I used your setup for Visual pinball/Pinmame (very nice BTW) and in the config you supplied, it shows Config=project 64 V2, as shown above. Is that Correct?

That is an advanced config.. It is used (for me) to define an exit key sequence from my gamepad. The name is misleading. Instead of setting one up for each of my emus.. I told each of my emus to share that config... That way I have the same exit sequence for all my emus.

Hope that helps.

First off I notice that your filter is for VPT... (VISUAL PINBALL TABLES) So your rompath needs to be the directory your tables are in.

The second thing I notice is your using a loader that inst supported. Please look at the config I posted that you refrenced. Make the command and the launch before the same as my working config. You may need to change the name of your vissualpinball.exe to match whats in the config.

Hi Brian,

when u say a loader thats not supported you mean this?

I just store my screenshots in there....and use it as a frontend outside of GameEx......is that bad? does it affect GameEX? I would think they are completely seperate....

Thanks!

Hi Brian,

when u say a loader thats not supported you mean this?

I just store my screenshots in there....and use it as a frontend outside of GameEx......is that bad? does it affect GameEX? I would think they are completely seperate....

Thanks!

A loader is a program. I'd recommend using my config..

Did you get the tables to load yet.

Hi Brian...

going to mess around with it now...will give u an update!

thx!

Woohoo!! I got it to work!!!! thx so much....

Ok now i got it working i have some other weird stuff.....and some questions :)

1) Some of the names of the tables in the list are really weird.....like Scapino's newly released Circus Voltaire version 3.0 that just came out like 3 weeks ago.....in the list its named:

SCAPINOSCIRQUSVOLTAIR VPM V3 0

and a bunch of my other other ones have really funky names too...its seems to take the "exact" name of the tables......which is named ScapinosCirqusVoltairVPMv3_0.vpt

2) When you add / download new tables does gameex automatically recognize them? Or do you have to do a list update like for MAME? And if so....where do you do that? I didn't see one for pinaball.

3) Not all my screenshots show up...only some of them. actually maybe only like 20% of them show up.

4) Are there preview videos for pinball tables like for MAME? I am a registered EMUMOVIES user but i know he doesnt have pinball videos.

5) When launching a pinball table gameex transitions from gamex to your desktop while Visual pinball loads....and then loads the table. Is there a way to hide the desktop transaition effect? does that hide desktop function do that in advance config?

6) sry..one last question. Is their away to resize the preview movie window? It's a little small and i have the HI Quality videos from emumovies so they would like nice a little bigger.

Sry so many questions Brian! but i guess its better than making 6 diff posts!! I'lll be registering GamEX tonight or tomorrow! Awesome FE man!!

1) Some of the names of the tables in the list are really weird.....like Scapino's newly released Circus Voltaire version 3.0 that just came out like 3 weeks ago.....in the list its named:

SCAPINOSCIRQUSVOLTAIRE VPM V3 0

and a bunch of my other other ones have really funky names too...

2) When you add / download new tables does gameex automatically recognize them? Or do you have to do a list update like for MAME? And if so....where do you do that? I didn't see one for pinaball.

3) Not all my screenshots show up...only some of them. actually maybe only like 20% of them show up.

4) Is there a way to change that default table that shows when you bring up pinball in the main gameex list? right its that haunted house pinball table....

5) Are there preview videos for pinball tables like for MAME? I am a registered EMUMOVIES user but i know he doesnt have pinball videos.

6) When launching a pinball table gameex transitions from gamex to your desktop while Visual pinball loads....and then loads the table. Is there a way to hide the desktop transaition effect?

6) sry..one last question. Is their away to resize the preview movie window? It's a little small and i have the HI Quality videos from emumovies so they would like nice a little bigger.

Sry so many questions Brian! but i guess its better than making 6 diff posts!! I'lll be registering GamEX tonight or tomorrow! Awesome FE man!!

I'll take a shot at a couple of these (I'm still practicing)

1.There are Dats available for pinball here: http://darkside.rommanager.com/pinball.html

Along with those dats, and a program like Clearmamepro, or Romcenter, you can rename your tables. I have not done this yet, so let me know how it turns out, and which dats to use...

2. I'm pretty sure Gameex just checks your rom (tables) directory, there is no update list for other emulators other than Mame.

3.Your screen shots have to be named the same as your roms (tables) or, if you have "best snaps match" (or something like that) enabled in Gameex, they can be "close"

4.The games that are shown at the top of an emulators game list are "last played" in the emulator setup, you can choose to show them, or not. I'm not sure if turning them off, and then on again would clear the list or not...give it a try. Also, try playing Haunted House, it's my favorite! :)

5.I've never seen preview video's for pinball, but I'm hoping somebody else has.

6.Yeah, it's messy.... As far as I know, the only thing you can do is make your wallpaper black, and clear all of the icons off of your desktop.

6.There is a "theme editor" that allows you to do this type of thing. Lingpanda has done a "how to" video on use of the Theme Editor. I believe you can find the video on the Gameex homepage.

One question for the "wizards" out there, Frequency and I were talking about the "messy screen" issue the other day. I mentioned to him that on the C64, you had the option of telling the computer where to look for video memory. So it was possible to Fill a section of memory with 00 (black), tell the computer to look there, do some goofy stuff in the "standard" video memory, anf then switch back, all unknown to the user. Is this possible with windows?

SCAPINOSCIRQUSVOLTAIR VPM V3 0

and a bunch of my other other ones have really funky names too...its seems to take the "exact" name of the tables......which is named ScapinosCirqusVoltairVPMv3_0.vpt

4) Are there preview videos for pinball tables like for MAME? I am a registered EMUMOVIES user but i know he doesnt have pinball videos.

5) When launching a pinball table gameex transitions from gamex to your desktop while Visual pinball loads....and then loads the table. Is there a way to hide the desktop transaition effect? does that hide desktop function do that in advance config?

1. ok here's the deal.. You probably could rename the table to a more friendly name. Or a better solution is to use a MAP FILE. This looks like

ScapinosCirqusVoltairVPMv3_0 | Circus Voltaire version 3.0

(So now in the gameex list it will look like the latter)

2. Unlike Mame.... Other emulators dont need to generate a gamelist. What in your folder is what you have. So no worrys. Drop in a new table and volia

3. Screenshots need to be named the same as the Rom (or in your case the table) there is an option in gameex config to do best snap match. Try messing with that or rename your snaps accordingly.

4. No... Unless you want to make some and share ;) Id recommend using Fraps or something.

5. Yes and No... The Show/Hide desktop does do what you expect but Visual Pinball refuses to render the video on top if it. Most emus dont have any problems. It depends on how the video is being rendered.. GDI,direct 3d,open gl, direct draw etc... Visual pinball doesnt give you any options so your kinda stuck on that one... You could make your desktop backround black and remove your icons for a cleaner look tho.

6. You can try using the included theme editor.. Make a backup tho... You could mess it up...

Hope that helps And the donation is really worth it

Brian Hoffman

1. ok here's the deal.. You probably could rename the table to a more friendly name. Or a better solution is to use a MAP FILE. This looks like

(So now in the gameex list it will look like the latter)

2. Unlike Mame..... Other emulators dont need to generate a gamelist. What in your folder is what you have. So no worrys. Drop in a new table and volia

3. Screenshots need to be named the same as the Rom (or in your case the table) there is an option in gameex config to do best snap match. Try messing with that or rename your snaps accordingly.

4. No... Unless you want to make some and share ;) Id recommend using Fraps or something.

5. Yes and No... The Show/Hide desktop does do what you expect but Visual Pinball refuses to render the video on top if it. Most emus dont have any problems. It depends on how the video is being rendered.. GDI,direct 3d,open gl, direct draw etc... Visual pinball doesnt give you any options so your kinda stuck on that one... You could make your desktop backround black and remove your icons for a cleaner look tho.

6. You can try using the included theme editor.. Make a backup tho... You could mess it up...

Hope that helps And the donation is really worth it

Brian Hoffman

Hi Brian,

Hmm...i never created a "map" file before.....how do you make one exactly? is it just a .txt file? so i just do all my tables 1 by 1 like you show in your example? then point to it somehow? via the advanced config?

i think i will try the FRAPS app for videos.....or does the create videos function in the gameEx registered version work better?

Hi Brian,

Hmm...i never created a "map" file before.....how do you make one exactly? is it just a .txt file? so i just do all my tables 1 by 1 like you show in your example? then point to it somehow? via the advanced config?

i think i will try the FRAPS app for videos.....or does the create videos function in the gameEx registered version work better?

The Attached Sample.map is editable from Notepad.exe

This will give you an idea The Romname is on the left while the name you want gameex to show is in the right.

You can use the create videos option in gameex.. sure :) And yes you the advanced config to specify a mapfile.

Happy gaming

Sample.zip

Scooped Again! :(:o:lol: !

Hahahahahahhahahahahaha! :lol::lol::lol:

We must have been responding at the same time. You obviouly got yours typed faster than me..

I must admit your right on your awnsers so I guess thats another ratio bump ;)

EDIT :Also did you notice how when you responded you quoted him and there is an extra question.. In my quote it doesnt have it.

And no I didn't edit it so I could go fishin. hehe

See ya sunday

Hahahahahahhahahahahaha! :lol::lol::lol:

We must have been responding at the same time. You obviouly got yours typed faster than me..

I must admit your right on your awnsers so I guess thats another ratio bump ;)

Also did you notice how when you responded you quoted him and there is an extra question.. In my quote it doesnt have it.

And no I didn't edit it so I could go fishin. hehe

See ya sunday

What about this?

One question for the "wizards" out there, Frequency and I were talking about the "messy screen" issue the other day. I mentioned to him that on the C64, you had the option of telling the computer where to look for video memory. So it was possible to Fill a section of memory with 00 (black), tell the computer to look there, do some goofy stuff in the "standard" video memory, anf then switch back, all unknown to the user. Is this possible with windows?

What about this?

I saw that then asked myself WTF...

There may be other options but I havent had time to look into them.

Perhaps there is another program like hideos that can be launched in the LaunchBefore section..

But off the top pf my head I cannot think of any.

:)

I saw that then asked myself WTF...

There may be other options but I havent had time to look into them.

Perhaps there is another program like hideos that can be launched in the LaunchBefore section..

But off the top pf my head I cannot think of any.

:)

I found this:

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/security/black/

It doesn't run in Vista, so I can't try it on my laptop....Anybody else want to give it a go?

I bet you guys knew this, but in my windows directory, if I click on *****.scr, it starts the *****screensaver. Now all we need is a blank screen saver. I found one, but AVG gave me a warning, so I don't want to open it. This should do the trick shouldn't it?

I bet you guys knew this, but in my windows directory, if I click on *****.scr, it starts the *****screensaver. Now all we need is a blank screen saver. I found one, but AVG gave me a warning, so I don't want to open it. This should do the trick shouldn't it?

Give it a go!??!

I tried to create that map file....this is what i did do far to just test it out......

Addams Family 7-3| Addams Family

Amazing_Spiderman_The_1.26bob | Amazing Spider-Man

Apollo 13 (Sega) | Apollo 13

Attack From Mars_PD_4-2 | Attack From Mars

BigBangBar_PD_1-3 | Big Bang Bar

Champion Pub 1.1 | Champion Pub

Elvira_and_the_party_monsters_103 | Elvira & the Party Monsters

I went into the advanced config and pointed to it and then started up GameEx and my list of pinball games hasn't changed at all.

Did I do something wrong?

Also, you know how MAME displays marquees, flyers, etc etc? Does pinball have that same function? Or is it just the screenshot? I pointed it to my backglasses and flyers folders but they don't shop when choosing a game. Only the screenshot....

thx