All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Mame32 and other emulators

hellothere

I have my mae, cps1/2, neogeo, etc roms all in one folder.

I notice mame32 doesn't play all the games, so what other emulators can I use in gameex to fill in for the games that don't work on mame32?

like kawaks, etc???

thanks!

looking for supported arcade emulators in gameex besides mame32...thanks!~

I have my mae, cps1/2, neogeo, etc roms all in one folder.

I notice mame32 doesn't play all the games, so what other emulators can I use in gameex to fill in for the games that don't work on mame32?

like kawaks, etc???

thanks!

looking for supported arcade emulators in gameex besides mame32...thanks!~

Well other (arcade)emus will need to be setup in the emulators section.. ZINC and Model2 emus are able to be configured and still use the one mame list.

Although it will not support NEW games it will play some better... Like Zinc will play the playstation hardware games like Tekken 1-3, battle arena toshinden ETC... although they will play in mame usually Zinc is faster and will give better sound.....sometimes... Same for model2

It seems the days are gone you would be able to find various emus that supported the romsets that are to NEW...

I had a version of mame that let me play metal slug 5 before it was officially supported. Also Final Burn Alpha was the first to support HYPER Street Fighter 2 Anniversary edition--- Using the phoenix rom... But now both are supported in mame... As well as CPSIII (street fighter 3 etc)

Games like MK4 dont work on any emu yet...

But with mame 120U1 a new version has been dumped.... Maybe in the future we will see it.

• 3 months later...

I too would be interested in this question.

My system:

17:08:39.0 1/29/2008: GameEx: Version 9.08: Starting Log

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: Operating System Platform: Win32NT

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: Operating System Name: Windows XP

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: Operating System Version: 5.1.2600

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: Checking for versions of .net Framework installed

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: .net Framework 2.0 Installed

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.40GHz, 1022MB

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: 2.39Ghz

I have Mame,Daphne,Nebula,Visual Pinball, Zinc, and Raine working well.

I set up Zinc, using Zinc Gui (along with Winterblasts plugin), I found it to be the easiest way.

I have tried Future Pinball, Mjolnir, and Model2, but the games run too slow for my system. (is that the way it is or am I doing something wrong?)

I tried PSx, and Epsxe, but When I run them I get a "Iso 9660: incorrect header:" error.

I copied my own Vampire Nights CD, and have used Alchohol 52%, and Magic Iso, along with Daemon tools too mount the image as a drive, and I always get the same error. Is it the image, or am I (again) doing something wrong? I'm not sure that my DVD/CD drive is capable of reading all of the data.....

What other Emulators should I try without duplicating what I already have?

Opinions on any of the above?

First off, After I re-read the start of this thread, I think I should have started my own topic. I don't really want to know what Emulators to run to help with the Mame roms, I'm actually getting tired of setting up a new emulator just to find out that Mame does a better job of running the game.

I would like to know if the speed issues mention here are commmon:

My system:

17:08:39.0 1/29/2008: GameEx: Version 9.08: Starting Log

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: Operating System Platform: Win32NT

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: Operating System Name: Windows XP

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: Operating System Version: 5.1.2600

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: Checking for versions of .net Framework installed

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: .net Framework 2.0 Installed

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.40GHz, 1022MB

17:08:39.1 1/29/2008: 2.39Ghz

I have Mame,Daphne,Nebula,Visual Pinball, Zinc, and Raine working well.

I set up Zinc, using Zinc Gui (along with Winterblasts plugin), I found it to be the easiest way.

I have tried Future Pinball, Mjolnir, and Model2, but the games run too slow for my system. (is that the way it is or am I doing something wrong?)

I was also wondering as what to work on next. I found this thread which was useful!

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=2076

So far as PSX goes:

I tried PSx, and Epsxe, but When I run them I get a "Iso 9660: incorrect header:" error.

I copied my own Vampire Nights CD, and have used Alchohol 52%, and Magic Iso, along with Daemon tools too mount the image as a drive, and I always get the same error. Is it the image, or am I (again) doing something wrong? I'm not sure that my DVD/CD drive is capable of reading all of the data.....

I think I will try to download a copy and see if that works, I was mostly interested in whether or not you guys thought that the image was the problem or not.

I downloaded a copy of the bios files (I do own a PS2), but only because it was easier than making my own. (It looked to me like quite a process, and if I remember correctly, having to buying adapters, however I might do it if you guys think that is the problem)

Thought I'd weigh in on this since I'm in the process of adding emulators to my machine as well and have recently added some of these.

I'm actually getting tired of setting up a new emulator just to find out that Mame does a better job of running the game.

I would like to know if the speed issues mention here are commmon:

The speed difference for ZiNc and Model2 games vs Mame is way faster, definitely worth getting them going. I haven't noticed the speed hit on the Model2 games you mention but I'm running on a 2Ghz Dual Core with 1Gb of Ram.

I was also wondering as what to work on next.

I've recently setup the Atari2600 (Stella), NES (Nestopia) and SNES (ZSNES) and they were all very straightforward. That'll add about 6,000 games to your system. If you do set these up, you can find almost all snaps and titles here: http://www.localarcade.com/screenshotarchive/screenshots.htm Not sure of a good location for box (or other console) art though.

Remember you can download these emulators through the GameEx interface which I highly recommend since it will have a base config to work from. All in all I found these easy to setup and they seemed like the next logical choice for me after Mame. Working on the Colecovision, Intellivision and Sega Master System games now. I would avoid games that require CD's as they're gonna be more time intensive to setup. As a caveat though see my note on ePSXe below.

So far as PSX goes:

I think I will try to download a copy and see if that works, I was mostly interested in whether or not you guys thought that the image was the problem or not.

I've got ePSXe going but have only tackled one game thus far Tekken3. My goal was to get Tekken3 running since I wasn't fully happy with the ZiNc version. I burned my disc using a trial version of a program called UltraISO. I've heard Alcohol 120%, CloneCD and ISO Buster also work well. I didn't do anything special, just turned it into an iso and set everything up through the ePSXe interface and it runs perfectly. Way way better than the ZiNc version which seems a little slower and plays a loud screeching sound between rounds. Some of your problems may just be game disc related as I think some games are harder to turn into working iso's than others. Maybe I just got lucky with Tekken. I did notice that you mentioned mounting the image though which you shouldn't have to do for ePSXe, you point to it. Try to get it to work with the stand alone launcher first and then through GameEx.

Anyway, hope some of that rambling helped. :lol:

Brian,

I tried Clone CD, but it only allows me a file type of .dvd heres what I did:

1. selected "read to image file"

2. Right click on my dvd player icon to change options (made sure reading sub channel info was checked)

3. In the next window when I right click on the DVD icon, I get a menu but am unable to select anything.

4. go ahead and write file "vampire.dvd"

So now I have the file "vampire.dvd", but ePSXe, PSX1.8, and deamon tools do not seem to use this file type.

Maybe I have to purchase the program to "unlock" the DVD menu? I don't mind paying for it if it will do what I need, (I am a registered user of Gameex :rolleyes:) but I don't think that is the problem.

Read on......

Shaunopp,

Since I hadn't played around with platstation in awhile, I tried it again this morning to see what was going on.

When using pSXv1.8, no matter which file type I use (bin,cue,iso) I get the "Iso 9660: incorrect header:" error.

I think that I must have tried mounting an image using Daemon tools lite, because there is an option to "load Cd drive".

I didn't try it again this morning, but it didn't work before...

I have also tried ePSXe, but when I go to "Run ISO" all I get is a black screen.

in the Dos Window it shows:

* Running ePSXe emulator version 1.6.0

* Memory handlers init.

* ePSXe: PSX BIOS loaded [c:\Emulators\espxe\bios\scph1001.bin].

* Loading ISO Format [bIN/IMG2352] ok

* NTSC cdrom detected.

* Doing init gpu[0]...

* Gpu open [0]...

* Direct input init ok.

* Doing spu init...

* Spu open...

That's about all I can tell you....

(Is there a way to cut and paste from a Dos window?)

I recently chosen to use PSX emu instead of epsxe as it is more compatable and doesnt need plugins and game specific hacks to work. It also supports most image formats so you dont need to mount an iso in deamon tools before you can play the game. I recommend looking into it.

Here what I pulled from a popular site I cannot link to. It MAY be a little out dated but should give you a good starting point. If you still have trouble Ill rip one of mine and give you the exact steps.

Alcohol 120% Backup Instructions

Here are the instructions to make a working backup of most Protected CDs using Alcohol 120% in combination with a CD-Reader/CD-Writer which can both can handle RAW DAO:

First identify which CD/DVD protection is being used on your Game CD/DVD (see Identifying a CD/DVD Protection).

Startup Alcohol 120%.

From the [Main] Menu click "Copy Wizard".

Select the CD/DVD Device from which the Game CD is being read.

Select the CD/DVD protection from the Datatype pull-down button at the bottom of the window.

This will auto-configure Alcohol 120% for the optimum backup settings.

When ready Click the [Next >] button.

Select "Image Location" where the Game CD Image should be stored.

When ready Click the [Next >] button.

Select the "CD/DVD Recorder" to which the CD Image will be written to.

All settings are again auto-configured for the optimum backup settings.

When ready Click the [start] button.

Play the game!

NOTE: Keep in mind that some CD/DVD protections, like TAGES & StarForce, can NOT be backed up.

CloneCD Backup Instructions

Here are the instructions to make a working backup of most Protected CDs using CloneCD 4 in combination with a CD-Reader/CD-Writer which can both can handle RAW DAO:

Create the following directory (if it exists already empty it):

<TempDir>: C:\TEMP\CD

Create a CD-Image using CloneCD 4 with these Game CD settings:

Data Read Settings Tab:

Set Read Speed Data to 1x (176 kByte/s)

Select Read SubChannel Data from Data Tracks (default)

Select Regenerate Data Sectors (default)

Audio Read Settings Tab:

Set Read Speed Audio to 1x (176 kByte/s)

Set Audio Extraction Quality to Medium (Fast) (default)

Select Read SubChannel Data from Audio Tracks (default)

UnSelect Only read the first Session (default)

Error Handling Tab:

Set Fast Error Skip to Automatic (default)

Set Sector Skip to 100 (default)

UnSelect Abort on Read Error (default)

Select Don't report read errors (default)

Select Intelligent Bad Sector Scanner (default)

When ready burn the modified CD-Image a CD-R using CloneCD 4 with these Game CD settings:

Set Write Speed to any desired speed

Select Don't Repair SubChannel Data (default)

Select Always close last Session

Play the game!

Here are the instructions to make a working backup of most Protected CDs using CloneCD 3 in combination with a CD-Reader/CD-Writer which can both can handle RAW DAO:

Create the following directory:

<TempDir>: C:\TEMP\CD

Create a CD-Image using CloneCD 3 with these settings:

Set Read Speed to 1x (176 kByte/s)

Select Read SubChannel Data from Data Tracks

Select Read SubChannel Data from Audio Tracks

Select Fast Error Skip

Set Read Retry to at least 5

Set Error correction to None

UnSelect Don't report bad sectors

UnSelect Intelligent Bad Sector Scanner

When ready burn the CD-Image a CD-R using CloneCD 3 with these settings:

Set Write Speed to any desired speed

Select RAW DAO

Select Don't Repair SubChannel Data

UnSelect Simulate Writing (if available)

Select Burn Proof/Just Link (if available)

unSelect Perform Laser Power Calibration

unSelect Wait until Buffers are full

Select Always close last Session

Play the game!

NOTE: CloneCD v4 includes a CloneCD Tray utility which is active when your startup your PC. This utility includes a feature Hide CDR Media which can be very helpful when playing a backup from a CD-Writer. Some games try to detect if they are run from a CD-R media and this tool let's them think it is an original CD.

Keep in mind that some CD/DVD protections, like TAGES & StarForce, can NOT be backed up.

Backup Hints

Here are some general hints when making a 1:1 CD-Copy:

Use your CD-Writer to also read the CD-Image - In most cases the CD-Writer can handle more protections!

To avoid coasters always make a CD-Image on harddrive before writing it to a CD-R.

Read the CD-Image at 1x or at a maximum of 8x speed. Reading the CD-Image at 1x speed takes a long time to complete but it is the safest speed to correctly read the image from any CD-Reader. Most modern CD-Readers can handle faster speeds. Just experiment!

CD-Writer software like Adaptec Easy CD Creator will NEVER be able to copy protected CDs and in most cases only interferes with other CD-Writers software! Software like CloneCD, Nero & CDRWIN are far better products!

Additional CD-Checks

The instructions shown on this page only show how to remove a CD-Protection, like SafeDisc or SecuROM, from the main executable but most of the games also have a CD-Check in the main executable. In this case the original or backup CD is required to play the game. No-CD Patches are needed to bypass the additional CD-Check(s), these are available at *******

I have also tried ePSXe, but when I go to "Run ISO" all I get is a black screen.

in the Dos Window it shows:

* Running ePSXe emulator version 1.6.0

* Memory handlers init.

* ePSXe: PSX BIOS loaded [c:\Emulators\espxe\bios\scph1001.bin].

* Loading ISO Format [bIN/IMG2352] ok

* NTSC cdrom detected.

* Doing init gpu[0]...

* Gpu open [0]...

* Direct input init ok.

* Doing spu init...

* Spu open...

That's about all I can tell you....

(Is there a way to cut and paste from a Dos window?)

Are you using the ePSXeCutor to setup and run the game to verify everything's working before setting it up in GameEx. I ask because I never see a Dos window. With ePSXeCutor you should be able to setup all of your game setting and launch directly by double-clicking on your configuration. It will ask you to select an .iso, .bin etc. to run. If you're using a disk image, make sure you have the mooby2 cd disk image driver 2.8.

You should try and get this running with the original cd in the machine first to take the 'burning to disk image' question out of the equation.

You may want to try a different GPU driver also, I'm using Pete's DX6 D3D driver 1.75.

I've attached my ePSXe config for you to load and check vs. your own within ePSXeCutor.

Shaun_Config.7z

I took another look at this today, I don't have a problem with using ePSXe, or PSX, they both seem straight-forward to me.

I was using the epsexecutor, and I had downloaded mooby, and petes, and a bunch of plugins, so I think I was on the right track.

I also tried making an image again using Alchohol 120%, but my trial period has expired, and I tried uninstalling, running a registry cleaner (Easy Cleaner), and then re-installing, but no go.

I also tried CloneCD, I have Version 5, and the instructions for the earlier versions didn't really apply, at least not in my brain! :blink:

I took your advice and tried to run PSX from the CD in my drive. The CD rom drive in my game computer doesn't even recognize the disk - "please insert disk", when the disk is already in, so I copied PSX to my laptop, which is running vista, and tried to load a CD. I received "CD not usable: unable to read CD with any driver" error.

I had all along been using my laptop to try and make the image of the CD, Because I knew the Gaming computer wouldn't. So I am ASSUMING that the problem lies with the inability of the Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17RS ATA device to read the CD.

More importantly, What do you guys think? :(

I took another look at this today, I don't have a problem with using ePSXe, or PSX, they both seem straight-forward to me.

I was using the epsexecutor, and I had downloaded mooby, and petes, and a bunch of plugins, so I think I was on the right track.

I also tried making an image again using Alchohol 120%, but my trial period has expired, and I tried uninstalling, running a registry cleaner (Easy Cleaner), and then re-installing, but no go.

I also tried CloneCD, I have Version 5, and the instructions for the earlier versions didn't really apply, at least not in my brain! :blink:

I took your advice and tried to run PSX from the CD in my drive. The CD rom drive in my game computer doesn't even recognize the disk - "please insert disk", when the disk is already in, so I copied PSX to my laptop, which is running vista, and tried to load a CD. I received "CD not usable: unable to read CD with any driver" error.

I had all along been using my laptop to try and make the image of the CD, Because I knew the Gaming computer wouldn't. So I am ASSUMING that the problem lies with the inability of the Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17RS ATA device to read the CD.

More importantly, What do you guys think? :(

I think its shoddy media.. The disc is probably in very poor condition (It may not even be scratched) I can tell you i have successfully copyed MANY of my own psx titles using my own equipment.. I even have a pioneer external dvd ram that reads them ok. Do you have more than one psx title? If you have NERO goto tools> choose recorder>image recorder.

Select CD copy and choose your source drive. click copy and it will ask you where to save the NRG file. Mount that in your program of choice.. eg deamontools or alcohol... If you do not have nero Download it and it comes with a 30 day trial. Also try another psx game.

I think its shoddy media.. The disc is probably in very poor condition (It may not even be scratched) I can tell you i have successfully copyed MANY of my own psx titles using my own equipment.. I even have a pioneer external dvd ram that reads them ok. Do you have more than one psx title? If you have NERO goto tools> choose recorder>image recorder.

Select CD copy and choose your source drive. click copy and it will ask you where to save the NRG file. Mount that in your program of choice.. eg deamontools or alcohol... If you do not have nero Download it and it comes with a 30 day trial. Also try another psx game.

I downloaded Nero, and followed your instructions. Your instructions seemed straight forward to me.

I did the read/write in 1x speed just to be safe.

I mounted both games I have using daemount.

Then I started up PSX, picked Insert CD drive, and selected the drive with the .nrg file

The Vampire Night drive Gave me a "CD not usable: not a CD drive" Error

The .nrg file is .99GB

The Time crisis 2 drive showed this in the DOS window:

CDROM: Using ASPI

apsi: using READ10

iso: 9660: incorrect header

aspi: failed 224 hastat:0 targstat:0

aspi: sense= 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

The .nrg file is 3.35GB

What now?

I don't know how big of a deal this is to me, sometimes I just want to quit, and say enough is enough.

Then I realize that then I would be sitting around with my thumb up my butt (Not really my thing ;) )

So I've really got nothing better to do. So the real question is do you? My point is: I do appreciate everybody's help, but I don't want to drive any of you nuts! So When you get tired, just let me know, I will understand.

I know that none of you are in the business of burning DVD's, but I would be willing to send someone my Games if they wanted to try burning them, just to find out if its me (or my equipment) or not. I guess the only thing that would prove is that I do have PSX set up correctly if I had a working copy.

If the disks couldn't be copied, then it might also show that it's not just me....

Has anyone successfully copied Either "Vampire Night", or "Time Crisis 2"?

Thanks Again!

I downloaded Nero, and followed your instructions. Your instructions seemed straight forward to me.

I did the read/write in 1x speed just to be safe.

I mounted both games I have using daemount.

Then I started up PSX, picked Insert CD drive, and selected the drive with the .nrg file

The Vampire Night drive Gave me a "CD not usable: not a CD drive" Error

The .nrg file is .99GB

The Time crisis 2 drive showed this in the DOS window:

CDROM: Using ASPI

apsi: using READ10

iso: 9660: incorrect header

aspi: failed 224 hastat:0 targstat:0

aspi: sense= 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

The .nrg file is 3.35GB

What now?

I don't know how big of a deal this is to me, sometimes I just want to quit, and say enough is enough.

Then I realize that then I would be sitting around with my thumb up my butt (Not really my thing ;) )

So I've really got nothing better to do. So the real question is do you? My point is: I do appreciate everybody's help, but I don't want to drive any of you nuts! So When you get tired, just let me know, I will understand.

I know that none of you are in the business of burning DVD's, but I would be willing to send someone my Games if they wanted to try burning them, just to find out if its me (or my equipment) or not. I guess the only thing that would prove is that I do have PSX set up correctly if I had a working copy.

If the disks couldn't be copied, then it might also show that it's not just me....

Has anyone successfully copied Either "Vampire Night", or "Time Crisis 2"?

Thanks Again!

Well PSX games came on 650/700mb media.. Why are your images so large? (Perhaps they arent PSX 1 games)

Goto a gamestop give them 5 dollars for a psx game and use the right game in the right emulator. ;)

Neither of these emulators emulate ps2... Get pcsx2!!!!

Blonde moment? CRS? hmmm... Now If I could only get supermario to work in GENS Id have it made ...

hehehehe

Well PSX games came on 650/700mb media.. Why are your images so large? (Perhaps they arent PSX 1 games)

Goto a gamestop give them 5 dollars for a psx game and use the right game in the right emulator. ;)

Neither of these emulators emulate ps2... Get pcsx2!!!!

Blonde moment? CRS? hmmm... Now If I could only get supermario to work in GENS Id have it made ...

hehehehe

well...I hate to say I told you so, but.... I told you so!

I told you that you guys couldn't think dumb enough to keep up with me.

Unbelieveable!

Now I've got two more emulators to set up....