All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

whats the deal with show desktop?

slipstream19

Possible solution to everybody's "game works fine out of gameex, but in gameex only sound plays" issues..... setup GameEx to have the "show desktop" set to ON by default instead of OFF.. Then when people become more familiar with the inner workings of GameEx, they can go back and set it to OFF.

-------------------------------------

whats the deal with show desktop. whats the good things about having it on "off"

can someon give som insight into the "show desktop" matter?

dont really get it.

hmm I think while it may get more people up and running...I think more would comment on the fact that GameEx would then look less polished...the only real true solution to the issue is to some how get GameEx and OpenGL rendering Emu's to behave better together.

My thoughts tho...take them as you will. :)

hmm I think while it may get more people up and running...I think more would comment on the fact that GameEx would then look less polished...the only real true solution to the issue is to some how get GameEx and OpenGL rendering Emu's to behave better together.

My thoughts tho...take them as you will. :)

----

aha ok

is there any list of what emus work with show desktop off?

i know pc games must have it of. but

take the project64 , showdesktop on or off?

That depends greatly on which render you use....as it has OpenGL, D3D, and Glide render's available to it...D3D Hide the desktop, OpenGL show the desktop, Glide...no clue as I don't have a Voodoo card installed on this system...actually on any of my systems...but I do have a Voodoo2 8mb card & a Voodoo 3000 16mb card laying around....maybe I'll work on a listing...as well as find out if Glide requires the desktop to be shown or not.

Well I guess that all depends on how messy ones desktop is, and how fast ones system is.

On my main stay system the desktop is a mess, several scripts, icons, sticky notes, widgets, docks, IM's,....needless to say a bunch of stuff I don't want to see when I'm in a gaming session. :)

Now the HTPC...thats a different story...desktop is clean, no wallpaper (set to black color), taskbar is set to be completely transparent...so showing the desktop on it is a non issue.

No...basically depends if you are having to load a large file...ie mounting a CD image in Daemon Tools prior to launching the actual Emu.

as for the taskbar...there are several apps\ways. For doing it on the cheap I suggest Transparent TaskBar if you truly want to make it completely transparent...other wise you may wish to check out Glass2k (also free) which will make it nearly transparent but will add a few extra's that you won't find in Transparent TaskBar.

Basically fire up Transparent TaskBar set the taskbar to transparent right click on the slider select Exit...now should you find your self needing the taskbar to be visable simply hit your WinKey and the Start Menu will open up...browse to the application and start it again...and simply adjust your settings and exit it yet again.

So how did you eliminate all of the icons windows wants to put on the desktop (my computer, recycle bin, etc.)? I know some of this can be done with the instant sheller or with tweakui, but what did YOU do? :D

Well first off I didn't have anything other than the Recycle Bin on the desktop to begin with...default stock Desktop.

If you have any other Shell icon's My Computer, My Documents,... those can be removed via the Desktop Display properties dialog:

Right Click the Desktop

Select Properties from the context menu

Click Desktop tab

Click Customize Desktop...

Deselect all Desktop Icons

Click below that branch on

Any non Shell icon's move else where like say the My Documents folder...

So really at this point all that should be left is the Recycle Bin this can be solved by a simple registry edit:

Press WinKey+R

Type regedit into the edit box of the Run dialog

Press OK

Click the left side (TreeView) of the Registry Editor on HKEY_CURRENT_USER to expand it

Click below that branch on SOFTWARE to expand it

Click below that branch on Microsoft to expand it

Click below that branch on Windows to expand it

Click below that branch on CurrentVersion to expand it

Click below that branch on Explorer to expand it

Click below that branch on HideDesktopIcons to expand it

Click below that branch on NewStartPanel to expand it or ClassicStartMenu if using the Clasic Start Menu

Right Click on the list view item {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

Select Modify from the context menu

Set the value in the edit box for Value data: to 1

Click the OK button

Close the Registry Editor

When back at the Desktop if the Recycle Bin is still there then:

Left Click once on the Desktop

Then press the F5 Keyboard key

Or you could just simply merge the attached REG file into your registry. :)

Additionally for those ether scared of altering their registry or leery of merging REG files there is another alternative and thats to use Tweak UI.

Once installed simply start the application

Click Desktop on the left side TreeView

Then uncheck every option in the Selection Box on the right

Click the OK button and now your all done. :)

ok so i dont get it. i have nes, snes and n64 emulators. the only one i can get to work is snes because it shows the option show desktop.. the other emulators dont show the option in the gameex setup. so snes launches games fine from gameex, but nes and n64 i just get a black screen when launching games. what am i missing here?

so i cant really fix this problem, the only emulator i can get working 100% is mame.. my nes, snes, n64 only work about 50% of the time.. either working or just coming up with a black screen, i turned show desktop on for all the emulators.. any help?

So you do or don't have ShowDesktop= set to True for these emulators? (Advanced Config, Emulator xx, Page #3)

so i cant really fix this problem, the only emulator i can get working 100% is mame.. my nes, snes, n64 only work about 50% of the time.. either working or just coming up with a black screen, i turned show desktop on for all the emulators.. any help?

Some emulators need to be set up ooutside of GameEx. PJ64 and ZSNES both require you to set them to launch in fullscreen either through the GUI or the emulator's .cfg or .ini file. This may possibly be your issue, so try and do aa little 'tweaking' and see what happens. :)

• 1 month later...

Any one have an Idea as to this issue:

I am getting the Black screen problem usually associated with the "SHow Desktop" option.... but here is the mystery: It happens without GameEX on most EMU's (Only ZSNES is working)

I have tried every resolution, every setting, but they will only work outside of Gameex in a tiny window, (and not at all within GameEX)

this is confusing me because it is happening in Mugen also, which worked fine last week.