All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx - Linux Version

Tom Speirs

Sorry for resurrecting this, but for the last few weeks I've been thinking of putting together something like gameex/hyperspin for Linux, possibly creating a dedicated distro so that even non-technical people can simply boot from the disc and be up and running in very little time.

It's not a small undertaking and I'd need some serious help, but I'm willing to start the ball rolling.

My first thoughts are that we'd need a plan of some description - I'm a dot net developer by day, python/c#(mono)/anything at all developer by night.

I'm thinking of Pygame/Pyglet/Python simply because it satisfies the GPL requirements and is cross platform with a tonne of support out there, plus I think 2D graphics are all that's needed (that's not to say there isn't support for 3D in Python, but I don't think it's as stable/supported as the 2D SDL wrapper in Pygame). Plus, being Python, it would make development of plug-ins etc... a lot easier.

Is anyone in?

I know this is an old topic, but hopefully not a dead one. I have little to no experience with Linux, but have considered building a box for this very reason.

I think that the distributions have come a long way. Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio are very robust and well supported distro's and seem to have quite a bit of support for graphics and sound. The price is right and installation is free for the OS and it appears to be very scalable for older machines.

I know we have a lot going on with the Windows version of GameEx. A Linux version would open us up as a community to a whole new level of users and would only be a plus IMHO.

I have dabbled in Linux myself, (setting up, NOT programming LOL) and one real cool feature would be a live CD so that people could actually test a Linux/GameEX distro before installing it. I'd certainly wouldn't mind seeing this being implimented too.

I agree with Draco regarding the community level, not only that forgive me if I'm wrong, but would it be the only Frontend that would be multi-platform? (win/linux?)

Even though Instantsheller etc are awesome, it would be brilliant just to install and go, and like mythTV, everything could be maintained by browser as I am sure that all of us who have built either an HTPC or cab, we also have a 'main PC' - which means no having to go back and fro in instantsheller when running in maintenance mode.

Just my thoughts on the subject... :)

Absolutely agree - there's a whole host of reasons FOR doing this. I like the idea of the web interface - just like Myth. I use Myth at home extensively - it's our main way of watching TV, and I use the web interface a LOT!

I've started work on a shell, with a single XML file for configuration. I have another test where I'm picking up the snap movies from the default mame snap folder and displaying them.

So far, it's written in Pythin using the Pygame SDL layer.

I have: an animation class, so that you can simply instigate the class with an object (movie, png, jpg etc...) and tell it which animation you want it to perform - so far, I have slide (left, right top, botton, [speed], [acceleration], [deceleration]) and swing. The menu class simply displays a menu with a given highlight graphic and opacity level as can be seen in the screenshot. This is a *very* early work-in-progress so don't get all excited on me - there's about a million miles to go!

The background image is drawn from the XML config file.

I have in mind that I'll write a config-frontend with a web interface once I get the main crux of it underway.

Hopefully, there'll be enough interest that I'll start a sourceforge project and just hope that I'm not the only one developing! If anyone has any graphics skills (for a default skin) but no programming skills, then I'd be very happy to hear from them ;-) Likewise, any Python skills, particularly with Pygame or Pyglet would be extremely welcome. Python is more of a hobbyiest tool for me - I've not really used it in anger - I'm a dot net (C#) developer by day, but I use Python for my ongoing DIY-Home-Automation project as I'm exclusively a Linux user at home.

Currently, this has only been run on Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7. It's identical on both so far.

My other thought was that I could perhaps just write a plugin for XBMC - it has a Python interpreter built in and is already cross platform - that would take care of the Videos/Music/Pictures etc... straight away. If memory serves me right, there used to be a MAME plugin for XBMC - I can't think of any reason why not build on that, but I'm happy to be put straight.

post-8989-0-18446500-1318665200_thumb.jp

A Live CD would be dispersed as a burnable ISO or at a nominal cost for shipping and media (much the same as Ubuntu does now). I think that XBMC would be considered a cross-platform gaming front end when using one of several plug-ins available for launching games.

Likely this would require quite a bit of retooling/rethinking how GameEx is handled - Will it be two separate projects due to OS considerations or would a complete retooling be required for cross-platform use? If a separate FE for Linux, what features would be available? Will the focus be primarily on MAME and emulators support? How would developing a Linux version effect continued development on the existing Windows version?

I am sure there are a great many other questions that would have to be asked and answered. If dev could be divided under the GameEx umbrella for both with Tom having the ultimate say over the direction of the project I would think it doable. Do I think it is needed? Yes! There are many attempts at emu front-ends that seem to have just died in their infancy, and only the plugins for XBMC and Mythbuntu/MythTV that look polished enough for consideration.

As for revenue, I am sure he makes a living doing other things and not from the contributions for the registered version of GameEx. I reviewed the links Rockyrocket provided and not certain that the examples would meet up to the potential for a Linux-GameEx would have to offer.

The is just an opinion as a user since 2006(!),

Game Ex has been around for a while and is recommended by a lot of the emu sites, IF a Linux variant dies in it's infancy (since we have the likes of Tom etc behind Game Ex I cannot see that happening!) Game Ex for Windows shouldn't be dented at all, especially if there was a long (but not the Google long!!) beta stage.

I for one would love the chance to be part of that, i.e. using the software as a Live CD/on a cab/on a PC, see how 'user friendly' it is from install to usage, especially since I have to beat my friends off my cab, I have friends from novices to experts on PC's etc, so it would be tested 'live' as it were.

Even though it is an old thread, I personally think with Ubuntu and the likes, the time is probably right, especially that Game Ex is a mature piece of software with a dedicated team behind it and continually upadting it as well as a dedicated team of followers (this forum!!)

Anyhow as I said, that is just my opinion, obviously it is up to Tom to say yes to the project....

I think it would have to be a 'ground-up' effort, rather than a straight port. With the future of Mono in the balance since the Attachmate buyout of Novell, it's unlikely that the Mono project (in it's current form) would move anywhere past where it is now, and I suspect the legalities of using it for Gnu type projects, given it's legal history, will only get worse.

Whilst mono is bloody excellent, I don't think it's right to use it at the moment - meaning that the dot net framework, the DirectX support etc... is a no-no for anything other than Windows.

With that said, I don't propose that this would be a 'Gameex clone' - rather a new project from the ground up.

I'm still slightly worried that XBMC does all that is needed aside from the emulator plugins - which could be rectified with Python scripting - meaning a lot of duplication of effort to achieve something that not only has already been done, but has been done extremely well.

I think an emphasis initially of the emu support aspects of GameEx as a stand-alone front end. Additional functional elements added as separate modules (i.e., Karaoke, Music, DVD player, etc.).

• 11 months later...

I've been looking into the possibility of making a Linux Version of GameEx.

I would use Mono, SDL and SDL.net.

The way, I see it, it would to 'start' with, miss the following features, as these rely too much on Windows API or Windows Libs.

Volume Control (Windows API)

Jukebox (Bass.dll and Windows Media Player)

Radio (Bass.dll)

DVD & Videos (Windows Media Player, FFDSHOW)

TV (Not implemented yet anyway).

Configuation Utlity (.net Windows Forms - Would mean Manual INI edit)

I see the following possible benefits:

Using AdvanceMAME and AdvanceCAB I think it would be possible to support arcade monitor resolutions without an ArcadeVGA card.

Means you could build a console/MAME box for free, without needing a windows license.

It would use the same source code with Compiler directives, making GameEx cross platform in a cool way I think.

To everyone, what are your thoughts on this, and how important do you see this to the future of GameEx? Any developers willing to help?

Tom.

Could it be possable to get full function in linux using wine

Looks like it isn't going to die, Tom! With work being done in a limited way for the Mac, a full-on Linux version (or at least one that works with/through Wine) is really not too far removed.

• 3 years later...

I'm semi-resurrecting this. Several big-name games have been released for Linux using Mono in the meantime, many of them cheerfully linking to e.g. LGPL libs from their own proprietary code. Monogame offers the complete (or almost) set of XNA features on Linux. I think this has pretty much become an accepted working model in the Linux game development scene, so it should surely also work for GameEx.

A counterpoint could be that a few decent Linux emulator frontends exist by now, like Attract Mode or EmulationStation. I suppose it's not too hard to just sign up for an account here and just use things from the FTP in those.

Hi Psy-Q.

Not much has changed on my end regarding this. In full form though Windows is still the best platform for emulation and other gaming.

I don't censor or fight the competition other than to try to build a better product :)

PinballX surely is great, and I'm guessing pinball simulation isn't going to go anywhere from Windows, seeing that VP is so tightly coupled to Windows technology. GameEx on the other hand could potentially even run on Raspberry Pi (there is Mono and SDL there, wink wink) :)   But enough dreaming. If I find the time, I'm signing up for an FTP account to try try some of the media in Attract Mode just for the fun of it, that way I get the best of both worlds, hah. And I'm happily here if there is ever anything to test on Linux.