All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx - Linux Version

Tom Speirs

I've been looking into the possibility of making a Linux Version of GameEx.

I would use Mono, SDL and SDL.net.

The way, I see it, it would to 'start' with, miss the following features, as these rely too much on Windows API or Windows Libs.

Volume Control (Windows API)

Jukebox (Bass.dll and Windows Media Player)

Radio (Bass.dll)

DVD & Videos (Windows Media Player, FFDSHOW)

TV (Not implemented yet anyway).

Configuation Utlity (.net Windows Forms - Would mean Manual INI edit)

I see the following possible benefits:

Using AdvanceMAME and AdvanceCAB I think it would be possible to support arcade monitor resolutions without an ArcadeVGA card.

Means you could build a console/MAME box for free, without needing a windows license.

It would use the same source code with Compiler directives, making GameEx cross platform in a cool way I think.

To everyone, what are your thoughts on this, and how important do you see this to the future of GameEx? Any developers willing to help?

Tom.

As you know i like the "open source" idea. So I'm always willing to help, but i dont think that GameEx as a multi!!!-Emu-Frontend (and not only mame) is needed for linux.

Don't misunderstand me, i use many Linux-Servers at work. I really like Linux. I think that several features would be more easy to implement under Linux, but i think there are too many emulators running only on Windows. Yes, there are many emulators also available for unix, but the windows Versions are often more stable.

Example (contra):

As far as i know there is a daphne for unix, but it can only be used with a Laserdisc Player... No player emulation linke in daphne for windows.

I have not yet found a really good N64 Emu under Linux. I need the access to other windows Machines (there are my videos, Mp3s and so on) and i don't like samba on linux machines.

Example (pro):

Mame works great under Linux (i.e.: afaik multigun is no problem), you don't need a gui like KDE -> more MHz and RAM for games... No problem with ramdisks (if you really have much ram) you can really do everything with your hardware via command line.

The license is worth tinking.

I really don't know, but since i have enough windows licenses for all my computers i won't use Linux at this time. I would maybe use a dual-boot option, to play multi-mice, -spinner or -gun games. Also i would like to test the CHD-Games under Linux when loaded from a ram-disk (if i really buy 3 Gig of RAM). BTW: I'd like to test this under windows, too. ;-)

If GameEx works on linux I would use it for these things, but i would not use Linux as my "everyday" cab system since i'm more interested into console emulation.

Cupid!

As you know i like the "open source" idea. So I'm always willing to help, but i dont think that GameEx as a multi!!!-Emu-Frontend (and not only mame) is needed for linux.

Don't misunderstand me, i use many Linux-Servers at work. I really like Linux. I think that several features would be more easy to implement under Linux, but i think there are too many emulators running only on Windows. Yes, there are many emulators also available for unix, but the windows Versions are often more stable.

Example (contra):

As far as i know there is a daphne for unix, but it can only be used with a Laserdisc Player... No player emulation linke in daphne for windows.

I have not yet found a really good N64 Emu under Linux. I need the access to other windows Machines (there are my videos, Mp3s and so on) and i don't like samba on linux machines.

Example (pro):

Mame works great under Linux (i.e.: afaik multigun is no problem), you don't need a gui like KDE -> more MHz and RAM for games... No problem with ramdisks (if you really have much ram) you can really do everything with your hardware via command line.

The license is worth tinking.

I really don't know, but since i have enough windows licenses for all my computers i won't use Linux at this time. I would maybe use a dual-boot option, to play multi-mice, -spinner or -gun games. Also i would like to test the CHD-Games under Linux when loaded from a ram-disk (if i really buy 3 Gig of RAM). BTW: I'd like to test this under windows, too. ;-)

If GameEx works on linux I would use it for these things, but i would not use Linux as my "everyday" cab system since i'm more interested into console emulation.

Cupid!

Thanks again for your most valuable feedback Cupid. I agree with you on everything you just said. I think my real Goal if this went ahead or you could call it a mission statement if it ever comes to anything, is to be able to allow someone to create a MAME box with the easy to use and functional features of GameEx (MAME only) from a 1 CD install (not worried about using the OS for anything else) that will run on an Arcade Monitor without special hardware, for free.

Fantastic idea. If you want to bring DVD and media functions into it, I might be able to help integrate Xine into the project. My last job was for a company who produced a Linux based HT frontend system. We wrote a GPL'd stub and communicated with it over TCP/IP to avoid licensing issues. I'm also a .NET developer, although I have primarily used .NET for IIS/web apps.

-- Rob

Fantastic idea.    If you want to bring DVD and media functions into it, I might be able to help integrate Xine into the project.  My last job was for a company who produced a Linux based HT frontend system.  We wrote a GPL'd stub and communicated with it over TCP/IP to avoid licensing issues.  I'm also a .NET developer, although I have primarily used .NET for IIS/web apps.

-- Rob

I'm kinda unsure of the GPL stuff. Perhaps someone can tell me if this is correct.

If I use a compiled library or executable without building it directly into my executable, so I dont recompile the lib or exe, and just use the existing dll or exe, I dont have to release my source code, right?

If I compile the GPLD source into my project even if unchanged, if it becomes part of my executable I have to release the source code? Yes?

If I change and recompile the library or exe but keep it as a file seperate from my project as a dll or exe. I still have to release the source code for my entire project? Yes?

Thanks, it seems we have a few developers here so perhaps someone can help.

Actually, the way I stumbled upon GameEx was as I was looking into MythTv and Knoppix as game frontends. If it were stable and offered most of the functionality of the windows version of GameEx, I would most definitely use it. I also have the problem that there seems to be a lack of good emulators for some systems. I really like the fact that I can put just about everything into GameEx under a windows environment. And while it has nothing to do with GamEx itself, this lack of third-party software would really affect my decision to move to a linux platform.

-Matt

GPL does not allow .so (linux equivalent of DLL) linking with non GPL code. You can with LGPL. That's why we had to build a TCP/IP bridge. We actually hired one of the developers from Xine to help us with it.

I don't know how this comes to play with other forms of RPC like Windows COM DLLs, which are more or less standalone applications. It was made pretty clear to us that we could not do a direct code link, though. I've seen some Windows programs get away with it - for example, Kega Fusion allows for video plugins, and someone compiled a GPL'd HQ2X plugin for it. I think that's technically not legal, but I doubt anyone will ever challenge it.

GPL does not allow .so (linux equivalent of DLL) linking with non GPL code.  You can with LGPL.  That's why we had to build a TCP/IP bridge.    We actually hired one of the developers from Xine to help us with it.   

I don't know how this comes to play with other forms of RPC like Windows COM DLLs, which are more or less standalone applications.  It was made pretty clear to us that we could not do a direct code link, though.  I've seen some Windows programs get away with it - for example, Kega Fusion allows for video plugins, and someone compiled a GPL'd HQ2X plugin for it.  I think that's technically not legal, but I doubt anyone will ever challenge it.

Thanks for explaining that, much appreciated.

My main reason for asking was to see if I could start on a Linux version using SDL.net without making GameEx open source (see other post regarding open source) which is under LGPL. So I think its OK.

Thanks again.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

i apologize for bumping a 2 years old thread Tom, But are you still thinking about a Linux version of Gameex? I've been thinking of switching my desktop OS to Linux because of some issues with Windows and maybe my cabinet OS is if you decide to release a Linux version. Just curious thanks! :)

I've got plenty of interest on this project over at Blackcats, so I'd be interested in hearing if this project is still alive. :)

Sorry, nothing has moved on with this. I think it was only an original discussion. Certainly not planned for now, but again open for discussion.
Oh I understand Tom, thanks. It is a nice dream though :D Btw has anyone tried running GameEx under Wine? I'm sure this has been asked a few times.

Thanks again for your most valuable feedback Cupid. I agree with you on everything you just said. I think my real Goal if this went ahead or you could call it a mission statement if it ever comes to anything, is to be able to allow someone to create a MAME box with the easy to use and functional features of GameEx (MAME only) from a 1 CD install (not worried about using the OS for anything else) that will run on an Arcade Monitor without special hardware, for free.

I think that is an awesome idea in itself. Not a full GameEx multi-emulator setup but a MAME only cab FE for linux would be great to play with.

Toonces

Ok, so I came to the dance a little late. It would still be nice to have a good looking, cab friendly FE on linux for a straight MAME install.

GameEx on Linux.... under WINE. I knew in probably wouldn't work because of .net, but I tried anyway to see how far I could get. BTW, this is on Ubuntu.

Ing

post-3408-1221262220_thumb.png

post-3408-1221262234_thumb.png

post-3408-1221262248_thumb.png

• 1 year later...

I'm guessing this would be a tough port since it relies heavily on .NET which isn't available for Linux. Also, I'm not sure but I don't think DirectX exists in Linux either.

Sorry for bumpin an old thread, but i think a port, if even possible, would have some real benefits, like 1 cd install, lightweight, no license fee etc.