All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Amstrad CPC Config (winape)

hansolo77

Ok, here's my next config for GameEx. This is for the Amstrad CPC system. Goodtools has a romset for this system called "GoodCPC v2.02". This config tutorial assumes you are using this in 7-zip goodmerged format.

#01 -> Download WinAPE from here. As of this posting, the current version is 2.0a8. So grab that. If a newer version is released, it has not been tested to work with this config.
#02 -> Download Tempest's WinAPE Loader from here.
#03 -> Download your romset from somewhere.
#04 -> Create a folder on your system to hold all these files. I used a subfolder in my games folder called "Amstrad CPC" but you can use whatever you want.
#05 -> Extract WinAPE and the wrapper to that newly created folder.
#06 -> Move your romset to a new folder (current rom folder is for system bios's).
#07 -> Launch WinAPE and configure your settings like this:
winapejx4.gif
#08 -> Key things to change: Disable Automatic Update (the most recent version is falsely reporting a new update everytime the program loads), Hide Control Panel, Hide Menus, DirectSound, 44kHz, 16-bit, Stereo (if no sound options are changed, Window's sounds will be distorted if WinAPE crashes..), configure joystick if needed.
#09 -> Exit the settings box and press [F10] to make the program run in full-screen. Then press [ALT]+[F4] to close the program.
#10 -> In GameEx Setup Wizard, create a new emulator and configure it to use the root new folder for the working path, the new rom folder as the rom path, MAP KEYS, 7-zip enabled.
#11 -> Command Line: WinApeLoader.Exe "[RomPath]\[RomFile]"
#12 -> If you have them or plan to in the future, you can create and setup paths for the artwork too.
#13 -> Try it and enjoy it! smile.gif

Enabled=TrueDumbyValue=STARTPAGENAME=Amstrad CPCTITLETEXT=Amstrad CPCStartPageLogo=amstradROMFilter=RomsInFolders=RomPath=D:\!GAMES\Amstrad CPC\Amstrad CPC (GoodCPC v2.02)SnapPath=TitlePath=BoxPath=CartPath=WorkingPath=D:\!GAMES\Amstrad CPCMapKeys=TrueWaitBeforeKeys=SendKeys=ReplaceDash=FalseReplaceUnder=TrueCapitals=TrueRemoveBrackets=FalseShowDesktop=TrueDebug=FalseMAPFile=AlsoLaunch=Command=Simple_Wrapper.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"OLDatZip=LaunchBefore=LaunchAfter=configFile=ExcludedFiles=CustomBackground=PlayMusic=PCGame=DATABASE=GamesIn7Zips=TruePlayInScreenSaver=True
Let me know if this works or not. It works ok for the first 2 or 3 games I tried. Special thanks for this goes out to Nologic for his fine wrapper creation skills!
--------------------
Left to configure (x's are done):
[x]Amstrad CPC (GoodCPC v2.02)
[x]Atari 2600 (Good2600 v1.00)
[x]Atari 5200 (Good5200 v2.01)
[x]Atari 7800 (Good7800 v2.04)
[x]Atari Jaguar (GoodJag v2.01)
[x]Atari Lynx (GoodLynx v2.01)
[ ]Bandai WonderSwan (GoodWSx v2.01)
[ ]Channel F (GoodChaF v2.01)
[x]Colecovision (GoodCol v2.01)
[ ]Commodore 64 PSID Music Images (GoodPSID v0.999.4)
[ ]General Computer Vectrex (GoodVect v1.06)
[x]Mattel Intellivision (GoodINTV v2.03)
[ ]Memotech MTX (GoodMTX v1.02)
[x]Miles Gordon Sam Coupe (GoodSamC v2.03)
[ ]NEC PC-Engine [TubroGrafx-16] (GoodPCE v1.09a)
[x]Nintendo Entertainment System (GoodNES v2.01)
[ ]Nintendo Virtual Boy (GoodVBoy v2.01)
[x]Sega Game Gear (GoodGG v2.01)
[x]Sega Master System (GoodSMS v2.01)
[ ]SFC-SNES SPC Music Images (GoodSPC v2.01)
[x]SNK NeoGeo Pocket (GoodNGPx v2.01)
[ ]Spectravideo MSX 2 (GoodMSX2 v0.999.3)
[ ]Spectravideo MSX (GoodMSX1 v0.999.3)
[ ]Tandy Color Computer (GoodCoCo v0.999.5)
[ ]Tangerine Oric (GoodOric v2.01)
[ ]Thomson MO5 (GoodMO5 v1.00)
[ ]Watara SuperVision (GoodSV v2.01)

• 2 months later...

thanks for the guide, do you know if it's possible to force WnAPE to run at lower resolutions?

I'm trying to run it on a Hantarex PoloStar arcaded monitor which doesn't display higher than 640x480 so when I try to make WinAPE go fullscreen I get a garbage picture... seems strange that it runs at 800x600 as I'm sure the original CPC ran nowhere near that high

thanks again

• 7 months later...

Nope, this was definately pulled. If he's okay with it, I can maybe post it here for you... I think I got it at home on the cab.

I will post this tomorrow evening as I am not home until then. Hopefully you can get it set up and then just unzip the AI script and you'll be set. :)

sorry to pester but has the required wrapper been posted anywhere?

EDIT: thought i'd have a play with this to get a feel for the emulator but i have no idea how to load a game. i've discovered that i have to press "F1"?, but i have tried that and nothing happens. i don't have the number keys on the right hand side of the keyboard as i have a keysonic keyboard (the one what looks like a laptop layout).

is there a way of disabling this?

Okay clearly I haven't left town yet...and I did find the wrapper\loader...and frankly I'm not seeing the need for it...no real clue why it was made in the first place...basically amounts to an extra layer of complexity thats not needed.

So chalk it up to me being a noob. :)

*Update*

Well turned out it wasn't because I was a noob then...actually GameEx doesn't seem to like back switch's "/A" in our case. Wrapper now added to attached files...tho improved.

Step 01. Extract archive to location where WinApe is stored

Step 02. Copy "[Mapping Off] Exit *.ini" to "C:\Program Files\GameEx\CONFIG\EMULATORS\"

Step 03. Copy "[PC] Amstrad CPC (WinApe).ini" to "C:\Program Files\GameEx\CONFIG\EMULATORS\IMPORT-EXPORT\"

Step 04. Launch GameEx Configuration

Step 05. Click "Next" until you come to a free EMU slot

Step 06. Click fee EMU slot

Step 07. Click "Import Emulator:" drop down list

Step 08. Select "[PC] Amstrad CPC (WinApe)" from the list then click "Import"

Step 09. Click "OK" when asked to over write dialog box

Step 10. Click "OK" on conframation dialog box

Step 11. Correct all pathing (Rom\Snap\Title\..) for your system

Step 12. Click "Save"

Step 13. Click "Exit"

Step 14. Configure WinApe as outlined by hansolo77 in the first post

Step 15. Start GameEx

Step 16. Have fun :)

Well I haven't tried it...just looked over what was in the loader...and move the important stuff out to the Import INI since they could just as well live there.

I'm still puzzled over the loader...must have been drunk....thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :)

hmm. i must be doing something wrong as the emulator just boots up and stays on that f1 for basic & f2 for burning rubber option. does the fact the game images are not compressed make any difference?

Same things happening for me too. I can run games from winape by loading a disk, then using run "gamename", when I use GameEx I get the same as studmeister.

• 3 months later...

just letting you all know winape 2.0a15 Release Date 29-Oct-2007 works fine with Nologic's rapper

get it from http://www.winape.net/index.jsp

i was having a few probs with 2.0a8. when trying to remap the keys but no such probs with winape 2.0a15

edit it turned out that when i try to remap the keys i was trying to use the left ctrl key as a fire 1 it worked in some games not all so just mapped to left alt and all is good

have fun

• 2 years later...

@hansolo77: Can you Reup your Tool please?? Link is Dead and I really need it :(

If you are referring to the loader written by NoLogic, then I'm sorry to say that it can not be posted here and the reason why the link is dead. To honor NoLogic's wishes, all his loader/wrappers have been removed from the forums and he is unfortunately no longer a member. There is an alternative though, our Mod Tempest created a wrapper for the community to replace the one that was removed. It can be found here.