All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Custom Databases

Phantom

Hi,

I'm trying to reorganize my Cab, and im at my Karaoke section right now.

I use a MAP file to show a clean list in GameEx but I would really love to use a Database file so people could sort by Song Title or by Artist

my files are named like this;

Artist@SongTitle^Category.zip

I use the @ and the ^ symbols so I can keep a clean list in an EXCEL file, that can do things like make my MAP file.

My Map File looks like this;

Artist@SongTitle^Category.zip|SongTitle by Artist

I've tried  many times to make a Database File (mdb) but I can't seem to make it work.

i put the FILENAME in the NAME column and in the GOODNAME column, the ARTIST in DEVELOPERS COLUMN and the CATEGORY in CATEGORY column, but in GameEX I still get the name in the MAP file. I see the options for DELVELOPER, CATEGORY, YEAR etc but when I select any, the list is empty.

Im using Microsoft Access and have tried

MDBPLUS, but if there is a better solution, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help

I'm using a separate program, Karafun.

So I copied a MDB and saved it as Karafun and put in the entries.

I'm confused where to use the file name and how/if I use the MAP file name.

I think SQLlite would serve you better since that is what GameEx has supported over the last few years. 

Please provide a copy of your gameex.ini so we can take a look at your emulator settings for Karafun.

If you are using a Mapfile AND have the Use Database Name paremeter set to YES (and have the right database selected), the name in the database should be what is displayed.

You are certainly trying some creativity when it comes to setting this up. I am curious to see how well this will work.

Ok I have it sorta working. I did so many things that I'm trying to figure out what did it.

Can I rename the Database Fields. Instead of DEVELOPER it would be ARTIST.

Ive tried renaming the column headers in Access but it doesn't do anything in GameEx.

or could I add new columns and get rid of the ones I don't need. (Tried hiding and deleting them but again it just broke it)

can an someone explain how the Database works? What does it look for and then what does it do?

does it look for the file name with extension in a certain column and then match and change the name to the name in a different column? Again I'm just not sure how to format the list before importing it into the mdb.

Also should I really be working with the DB3? Is that easier?

Ive attached my

- MDB file screen cap (too big)

- CSV file I use to import into the MDB

- my map file 

- GameEx config

- screen cap of GameEx showing game info imported "properly"

GameEx.ini

5) Database.csv

4) Karafun.map

image.png

image.png

It's a database. You can't really rename a column. You can repurpose one though if you want. Tom would need to speak on how he parses them. If it's by index then the name won't matter, but if it's by name then changing it is just going to break the database.

In either case you can't just delete a column.

I'd recommend you create a new db3 in either case so it doesn't get overridden in an update. Just be sure to keep the schema intact.

Hey Phantom,

You are moving into the realm of utilizing the program in a way that was not originally intended. So, if you can make it work to your satisfaction, well done sir!!! However, you may also run into obsticles that cannot be overcome. Also, as the program is updated it is possible that an update may break this setup (for example, if the structure of the databse files changes). Please do keep this in mind.

As for the database, I suggest against changing the database in any way other than the actual data. How GameEx interacts with the database really can only be answered at a programming level, but I believe more than likely GameEx will utilize those column names in order to reference the data it needs. As you already have seen, removing a column will likely crash GameEx. Adding a column probably will not break anything, but GameEx's code is probably not written to dynamically detect new columns.

Also, I believe the way you are utilizing the GoodName, TOSEC, and NoIntro column may get unintended results. These are naming conventions used for Roms (this includes GameBase and HyperList too). For instance, GoodName might name a rom 'Afterburner II' while TOSEC might name it 'Afterburner 2'. GameEx won't know what naming convention is being used so it will search through these columns until it finds a match. I would suggest using only one column and the value in the cell of that column should be the filename without the extension.

Lastly, you might consider putting up a post to request additional features for the Karaoke section to utilize third party apps, mapfiles, data files, etc. GameEx Evolution is being worked, so I cannot say how likely it is that new functionality will be added, but it may be worthwhile to ask.