All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Resolved] Arcade VGA Setting=True - Vertical Games are force stretched by GameEX

MoggFanatic

Hello,

I do use a Standard Arcade Monitor 15KhZ with a Arcade VGA Card. I set UsingArcadeVGA=True to play Mame Games with 640x480 interlaced in ddraw.

This is because i have to run my Windows Desktop @ 640x288 because of directdraw. when i start a 640x480 mame game outside of gameex or with UsingArcadeVGA=False i get the direct draw error from mameui.

Sadly when UsingArcadeVGA=True is set GameEx tries to stretch Games that have a higher resolution as 288 (V) and i don't want anything at all to be stretched. I have set every mamegame with a perfect resolution to run at but GameEx is looking into other files and is picking up for example 224 x 320 (V) 60Hz for Bells & Whistles and stretches the fuck out of that game until it is unrecognizable butt ugly and unplayable. In my ini file the game runs in 352 x 288 and when i choose it outside of gameex it runs at that resolution and looks fine.

I don't want GameEx to mess around (especially stretching) with my mame games with resolutions smaller than 640x480 and only want 640x480 games to be displayed in interlaced because i want to bypass the directdraw error in mameui. Even my commands for mame like -nohwstretch in the wizard are overwritten. my desktop resolution of 640x480 in windows is interlaced, 640x288 is not interlaced.

Is there a way to do this?
Can i set a mamegame with 640x480 to display interlaced in the .ini of the game in mame and do the same as gameex does?
Is there a setting i screwed up in gameex?
How are other people with a arcadevga, mame with directdraw and gameex doing this, playing vertical games without annoying stretching from gameex and also are able to run a mame game with 640x480?

Thanks

Mogg

GameEx.ini

log.txt

Hello,

i'am using a horizontal setup. I have tried the 15-31hz and fired up  Bells & Whistles and it was still stretched very bad. should i try the 15-38hz setting? is gameex then outputting 640x480 in non-interlaced? because i need what ever gameex is doing to 640x480 games in mame.

thanks for your effort

I want gameex to not stretch any mame games because streched looks always bad, especially at a arcade monitor, that's why i have the custom resolutions set for every game in the ini folder of mame ( i did that wit AVres). i want only that gameex is outputting 640x480 mame games in interlaced because i need that.

The gameex stretching is in many mame games that are vertical and have the 224 x 320 (Raiden DX, Dragon Blaze, Ashura Blaster, strikers 1945...) or 240 x 320 resolution like raiden DX. when these games use my custom ini's with 352 x 288 when i start them in mameui they look good on my monitor. when stretched they look terrible.

Try using a regular vanilla MAME build and turm off ArcadeVGA support. See if it uses your ini files. You can simply place mame64.exe in the same folder as MAMUI and tell GameEx to launch that instead.

I think the issue is MAME is reporting the wrong resolution.

You could edit data\gamelist.txt to specify the correct resolution. You could simply do a search and replace on those resolutions. I do think they are in fact wrong but that is down to MAME.

I did the search and replace in the gamelist and replaced all V|224|320 with V|352|288 now everything is working fine!!! no stretching and the 640x480 are interlaced. Thank you!

I spent a great amount of time to resolve this (but learned 1 or 2 things)

Thank you so much for resolving this!

But Gameex arcadevga setting is hopefully not sending the resolutions in the gamelist with a command and a romfile to mame?
it just looks if a resolution is above 288 and stretches, right?
or if a mame game uses 640x480 and sends it interlaced?