All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Gameex X shaking Screen X Menu disorder when Alt + ENTER keys are pressed

Alan Ribas

Good Morning.
Been a while living with two "problems" using GameEx.

1) First problem:
:huh:
I enter the GameEx normally. For each video games menu I created a background screen. Sometimes browsing through the menus the backdrop created by me disappears, giving way that standard blue screen GameEx. To fix the problem I just exit the system menu and I'm back. With this image I determined appears again. This problem arises in two moments when I'm browsing the very GameEx menus or when I press Alt + Enter. PHOTO (1 and 2 - shows the moment before and after pressing Alt + ENTER)

2) Second problem::huh:
I do not remember exactly after which update this phenomenon began to appear. It certainly was one of the last five. The problem is the following. The GameEx starts normally. Within the menus, when we start to scroll up or down on a large list, the screen starts to shake. This tremor disappears when we stop navigate up or down in GameEx menu.

Someone went through it and can tell me what to do to solve the problem?:mellow:

1.png

2.png

Looks like its a theme issue but there are a couple of things for me to mention:-

The per pixel scrolling of the menu is a feature if that is what you are describing. In addition you may have to wait for Evolution to mature for this and other skinning features.

This is almost certainly the result of a mixed resolution theme.

You should use a theme that is sympathetic to your monitor, and alter that.

For reference, here they are:

4:3:

640x480

800x600

1024x768

16:9:

1280x720

1366x768

1600x900

1920x1080

16:10:

1280x800

1440x900

1680x1050

2560x1600

GameEx will handle any res theme, with any res assets, but in good practice you should try to match them for best results. A 1080p theme with 1080p assets, is gonna look much better than a 720p theme with 480p assets :P

And Alan, do you happen to know what resolution the Theme you are using is? If the theme was created for a resolution other than 1920x1080, GameEx will stretch some elements to fill the screen (or window). However, not all elements are stretched proportionally. It is a limitation of GameEx. Although it is a minor limitation, it can be bothersome. Themes are best viewed in in the format they were intended for, 4:3, 6:9, or 6:10.

If you are unsure of the resolution but you downloaded it from the GameEx site, can you provide the name? I could not find it myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Please watch this video I made. There is shown when I navigate through menus of video games the screen does not shake. But when I choose a system, if chosen NINTENDO 16 BITS (It could be anyone), every time I browse through the options down the screen flickers. But if you scroll through the options going up the screen does not shake.

Answer me
please. How to fix it! ?? You are making me stressed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heDxnWDpyyc

Sorry you're so stressed. Could you help us to help you better by providing copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files?  Also, need to know if you have the latest LAV codecs installed and if the issue occurs when running the Default - Default theme.

The files you asked is attached.
I auditioned they asked me. Booting GameEx with the default theme and really shaking problem on the screen does not happen anymore.

I also did another test. I pressed several times the buttons ALT + ENTER, causing the GameEx be full screen and windowed mode, and no menu left the place.

CONCLUSION: Any change I made in own theme that I created is causing the problem.
I have no idea what is. When I created this theme did following the same resolution as my monitor currently has, which is FULLHD resolution (1920x1080). All wallpapers added to this theme also have the same resolution. The GameEx is also configured not to change the resolution of Windows 10. But it seems that I did something extremely bizarre. I thought it was a problem in the program but the problem really seems to be the settings I used. The issue is that I have no idea how to fix this. I made another video which shows the menu is disorganizing.

You may notice at the end of the video menu from the top, after the GameEx entered the full-screen mode, it is still small. It was not the size of the entire screen, as it should be.

If anyone knows how to fix this please help me. I've walked through all the menus of GameEx looking for the solution and could not see where my mistake.:(

GameEx.ini

log.txt

You may want to zip your theme folder and provide us with a copy so that we can test it out and see if we can replicate the same results. It may be something simple but we won't be able to know for sure without it.

Thanks. I probably won't have time to test this until the weekend at the earliest. Hopefully one of the other members may give it a try to see what results they get before then.

OK, so I took a look at the shaking issue that Alan described.

I was able to replicate the problem in full screen (but not windowed mode), but I could not tell you what was causing it for certain. While testing, I not only changed to a different theme and back, but I also removed all of the .ini files except for the Theme.ini and ran GameEx. One (or both) of these two actions caused the 'shuddering' to stop occurring while cycling through the game list. This makes me wonder if perhaps something in the cache was not interacting correctly and maybe my changes temporarily fixed things. I was unable to replicate the issue again after that.

Although I am familiar with the Theme Editor, I am not even close to being an expert. From what I was able to tell, it does look like some clean-up may be a good idea. I saw many templates that had no assets assigned (although I could be misinterpreting what I saw).

I know that this is not a solution, but maybe the information will be helpful.

Hello guys. I did not discover the problem, but could isolate it after the help of RedDog. I did the following. Open an .ini file from one of my systems. In this case, 3DO. The .ini file has in its content involving a series of coordinates:
Title = 1050,60,274,144
Date = 43,86,116,56
Time = 43,125,124,56
List = 14,32,570,964
SelectLine1 = 615,900,301,56
SelectLine2 = 935,1010,301,56
Image = 600,58,833,575
Image2 = 1467,56,405,575
Description = 651,645,1256,368
Scroller = 900,1004,703,45
Weather = 338,87,262,82
Menu = 157888888,67888888,2000000,56
ListNum = 615,1004,215,56

What I did was change alone, one by one each of these cooordenadas and see if anything happened. Conclusion. The problem presented in the video I sent earlier is the coordinate name "LIST". When their values change happen those bizarre effects shown by me in the video I posted. Deepening a little more. After discovering that the problem was in coordinated 'List ", I began to change individually in each number of coordinates that compose it.

List = 14,32,570,964

Conclusion: When I change values of positions that contains the values 32 and 964 the problem arises. No wants to be being boring, but just to illustrate for you. Please look at these two pictures. I opened the "theme editor". In the first picture when I left the list that size the problem disappeared (Picture 1). When I increased the list size the problem reappeared (Picture 2).The reason for that to happen I have no idea. Now it is with you programmers.

arquivo.png

Seems a little obvious to me. If the 2nd image represents how you have this set in your theme, then that's your problem.  

You are overlapping the Date, Time and Weather fields with the List field. GameEx is trying to render the text and graphics outputs on part of the same area. I haven't been able to look at your theme.ini to see which if not all of these are enabled, but even if not displaying, GameEx may still be trying to render. 

If you are not using Date, Time, and/or Weather, try moving those elements to a part of the overall theme not occupied and changing the size to 1 height x 1 length, save the theme and test the result. 

I understood what you said Draco 1962. But my setting in GameEx has always been this way. Already have a few years to use this frontend. And there was never given any problems. As I said in previous posts, it was after an update that the problem appeared. But just to have no doubt I did what I suggested. Arranged so that no field to stay ahead of the other. As the photo below. Only the "List" fields, "image" and "image 2" are enabled. Still the problem persists. Can only be a Bug. As I reduce the size of the height of the "List" the problem also appears to be attenuated. But if I happen to further increase the size of the height of the "List", the screen tremor is even stronger.

picture.png

I tried what Alan suggested and changed the List parameters in the Layout section of my own theme (v4) to List = 14,32,570,964...and when I cycled down through the list of one of my emulators, the entire screen started slowly moving upwards. Eventually, GameEx froze and I had to close it with the task manager. The next time I launched it also felt sluggish, so I tried switching themes back and forth and it got back it's normal speed again.

@Draco1962: Alan may have found a fringe issue since it relies on the List parameters being very specific values, but if it is easy for another person besides myself and Alan to replicate, would it not be worth having Tom look at? Would you mind trying the same test?

• 4 months later...

In recent months I have seen several upgrades of the GameEx frontend. I created this topic to alert the developer about a problem that exists in this frontend. The screen of the frontend starts shaking when the list of games is placed on a particular part of the screen. But so far the error has not been corrected.
Could anyone tell me the reason?
Is the problem too complicated? Or is there no willingness to solve it?

Unfortunately your post gives us nothing to go on. I have also not seen or heard of this happening to anyone else, last item I read suggests it's very specific to your setup.

@Adultery I was able to replicate the issue (or a very similar issue) in August when Alan reported it. See my posts here and here in this thread. I honestly forgot about the issue after that as I could not do much more. I think it just got lost after that.

At this point, I do not recall much more than what I posted. I can certainly try to replicate the issue again following my own posts, but it will be a bit as I have company visiting for a week or so.

We probably need to have updated gameex.ini and log.txt files from the latest build. Also the theme.ini file for the theme being used.

I have not been able to replicate the issue as reported.