All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Vs. ExciteBike

Vs. ExciteBike
Vs. ExciteBike Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 RedDog 167,320 RedDog's Hi-Score Entry
2 Cynicaster 123,485 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
3 rtkiii 119,650 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
4 ExedExes 95,470 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
5 millerbrad 74,435
6 Luigimaker 67,380 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
7 Floyd Turbo 60,785 Floyd Turbo's Hi-Score Entry
8 KRC 51,650 KRC's Hi-Score Entry
9 hansolo77 37,140 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 07-24-2020

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Vs. ExciteBike:

ROMSet: ExciteBk
1st Half Qualifying Time: Easy
2nd Half Qualifying Time: Easy
Unused: Off
Special Rules: None

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

This month's Bonus game comes from our June 2016 GOTM Winner RedDog.  We like to reward our GOTM winners with more than just a signature banner if we can.  This game was chosen because it's one of his favorites.  Works for me!  Enjoy this fine game from Nintendo!

Excitebike (エキサイトバイク Ekisaitobaiku?) is a motocross racing video game franchise made by Nintendo. It debuted as a game for the Famicom in Japan in 1984 and as a launch title for the NES in 1985. It is the first game of the Excite series, succeeded by its direct sequel Excitebike 64, its spiritual successors Excite Truck and Excitebots: Trick Racing, and the WiiWare title Excitebike: World Rally. 3D Classics: Excitebike, a 3D remake of the original game, was free for a limited time to promote the launch of the Nintendo eShop in June 2011, and has since been available for $5.99.

-Quote from Wikipedia.

I guess I suck at this game.  Never really played it before, which is always a plus in my book.  I love trying new things.  This game is tricky.  Took me a while to get comfortable with the controls before I realized I was wiping out a lot because I wasn't controlling the angle of my front wheel.

I didn't get a name entry screen the last time I Game Over'ed so I screen shot right after the end of the race to be safe.  This is what I had:

Score: 37,140

0000.png

One of the reasons I really like this game is that there is a good amount of control, which is unusual for older games when simple controls were generally the norm.

Here are a few tips for newcomers:
- Land with both wheels contacting the ground and you should loose no speed.
- Land with one wheel too high and too low and you get a bounce and loose speed.
- Sometimes a short bounce can be helpful too though.
- Trip up other riders by hitting their front wheel with your back wheel (usually while lane changing).
- Pull left for a wheelie (good for getting over speed breaks...hitting jumps squarely...or just showing off).
- When you fall off, tap any button quickly to run back to your bike faster.

An updated version was also released on the Wii Virtual Console with huge graphic updates, control improvements, and 4 player online play...I had a ton of fun with it.

I totally forgot about this game. I've been so busy try to stay on top of the IGBY (still #1 scorer on our combined GX team) and a little thing called Pokemon Go. This Vs. edition is far better than what we got on the NES! We're also doing Vs. Super Mario Bros. during the IGBY, which contained some of the "Lost Levels" of the Japanese SMB2!

ExedExes - 95,470

0001.png

Am I the only one having issues getting this to work? :)  It works on v129 but not my v143 I use for most of my other games.  Am I missing something?

@rtkiii It's all you...  ;)   I've always been able to get this one to work. It is one of the first to be added into my faves.

@ExedExes Funny your should mention the NES. I used to play the NES version quite a bit before I realized I had the arcade version. The NES version represents the arcade version very well though...

New score: 112,565

2016-07-19 19_57_24-MAME_ Vs. Excitebike (set EB4-4 A) [excitebk] b.png

21 hours ago, ExedExes said:

I totally forgot about this game. I've been so busy try to stay on top of the IGBY (still #1 scorer on our combined GX team) and a little thing called Pokemon Go. This Vs. edition is far better than what we got on the NES! We're also doing Vs. Super Mario Bros. during the IGBY, which contained some of the "Lost Levels" of the Japanese SMB2!

ExedExes - 95,470

0001.png

Nice entry to take the lead!  How dare you forget about our little competition in this neck of the Internet Woods?  And to play Pokemon Go?  Shame!  I'll have to try the Vs. Super Mario Brothers.  I only vaguely knew those Vs systems were in MAME.  I never seen one outside of it.

8 hours ago, rtkiii said:

Am I the only one having issues getting this to work? :)  It works on v129 but not my v143 I use for most of my other games.  Am I missing something?

Maybe you're missing the Vs components?  I don't know much about MAME other than how to compile (using the HK script/program) and dumping a full romset into the folder.  Are you using the wrong roms maybe?  Make sure you have 'excitebk' (Vs. Excitebike (set EB4-4 A)).  I also noticed in my version of GUI MAME (v 0.154 Sept 4, 2014) that the details in the info says it's from the romset "0.146u1".  It also uses "vsnes.c" as the core.. maybe you're missing that?  Other than that.. maybe somebody else knows better.  If it works in v129 just post a screenshot from that.  LOL!

1 hour ago, RedDog said:

@rtkiii It's all you...  ;)   I've always been able to get this one to work. It is one of the first to be added into my faves.

@ExedExes Funny your should mention the NES. I used to play the NES version quite a bit before I realized I had the arcade version. The NES version represents the arcade version very well though...

New score: 112,565

2016-07-19 19_57_24-MAME_ Vs. Excitebike (set EB4-4 A) [excitebk] b.png

Wow nice!  Way to take the lead back from Exed! We like that.  :lol:  Too bad this game isn't a GOTM.. you'd probably have it for sure!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

PS - Thanks guys for the momentum increase these last few posts.  Makes me glad to still be a part of this!

• Like 1

@rtkiii - I don't remember if that game requires a Vs. System Bios, but it looks like the version of the ROM we're using was made the official parent set in 0.147. If you want to play what we are, I'd suggest getting a MAME version 0.147 or greater. (I'm using 0.173, needs an update)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rtkiii said:

Not quite #1 but on your heels

WP_20160721_002.jpg

Wow.. I think you've played this before lol. 

Maybe something broke in a later update of MAME that prevents this from loading?

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Man, I feel like I should just give up retro gaming altogether.  I been trying to play some games for the RetroAchievements.com website, and I just plain suck.  If it weren't for my brother loving this stuff, I probably would never play!

- Updated OP, DB, RSS

On 7/19/2016 at 9:35 PM, ExedExes said:

@rtkiii - I don't remember if that game requires a Vs. System Bios, but it looks like the version of the ROM we're using was made the official parent set in 0.147. If you want to play what we are, I'd suggest getting a MAME version 0.147 or greater. (I'm using 0.173, needs an update)

147 is a version i have on my cabinet and it does work.  Need to get HS working on it though :)