All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MAME game list won't display after update

DennisLPaisley

Hello,

I had been using an older version of GameEx and all was well. I setup a new PC, put the MAME games in c:\mame\mame32 ... (like my old PC) Purchased and installed the latest GameEx, believe to have configured it correctly. When I select update the MAME game list ... it reads the listinfo.dat and other files from the folder mentions, says it is writing out the games list. When it is complete, I still have "NO GAMES" in the list. 

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,  can you please provide us with copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files? Click on the GameEx How to ask for help link in my signature for instructions on how to locate the files and submit them for us to review. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dennis,

A few things seem out of place. I would suggest going through Setup again, selecting "Advanced" and going through it slowly, double checking all paths as you go.

9 times out of 10, a wrong path is the culprit ;)

I set VerifyRoms to false and some games showed up; however none of the classic games like PacMan, Galaga, etc ... which in an older version of GameEx all showed up. Using the Windows MAME GUI there are all listed and working.

I will also turn off TouchScreen.

Yes, same result with GameEx or the lite version.

As a test, toggle the Game Filter to off, then update and see how many come up.

OnlyWorking=False
AllowImperfect=True
VerifyRoms=True
OnlyRoms=False
NoGameInfo=False
GameFilter=Japan;Korea;Asia;Hispanic;Bootleg;French;German;Hack;Prototype;Hardware;Spanish;(Easy;(harder
GameFilterOn=True

Dennis, you get how MAME works, right? I think you do, and that's why you're getting frustrated. Try these filters:

OnlyWorking=True
AllowImperfect=True
VerifyRoms=False
OnlyRoms=True

Boot GameEx and hit Update List.

If still not satisfied try this:

Find the game filter: looks like this - GameFilter=Japan;Korea;Asia;Hispanic;Bootleg;French;German;Hack;Prototype...

Delete "Japan;", so it looks like this:  GameFilter=Korea;Asia;Hispanic;Bootleg;French;German;Hack;Prototype...  (boot GE again and Update List)

There are many Japanese arcade games out there that you didn't realise were japanese but you probably played them. Applying this little mod will show you most of them :P

Hey Dennis,

Is there a reason why you are using such an old version of MAME? I mean, 0.085 in emulation terms is ancient!

Both MAME and GameEx have moved on so far from then, so many changes in how MAME works, so many updates to GameEx to accommodate them...

I would advise ditching any notion of using your current set, and update everything, to at least MAME .137 (personally i would go .154+). You're going to get nowhere sticking to .085 and in all honesty - practically no one here will be able to help you, not because we don't want to, but simply coz we can't. MAME has changed, GameEx has changed, even OS's have.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but it's best you know from the start. I wish you well in your endeavour. B)

Thank you for the replies and yes, I completely understand the age, but I tried about four years ago to upgrade and didn't have good success with the ROMs that I had. A good number of them no longer worked. With that said, my current PC is running 100% and my new PC setup is working with the same versions IF I use the mame32.exe (Windows application), just not with the latest version of GameEx.

With a much older ROM set trying to upgrade to even a more recent version of MAME as of 4 years ago would most likely meet with difficutlies. Most upgrades using a ROM manager occur incrementally by at least whole versions. I hate to say it but you may need to consider starting over on acquiring a newer ROM set to work with a more current version of MAME and GameEx. Much has changed with GameEx and MAME since your version. That is the nature of software. Eventually earlier versions become deprecated and won't keep up or work with the latest operating systems, frontends, or the like.