All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] 4DO not exiting back to Gameex

TheMug

When i hit ESC to exit 4DO (version 1.3.2.4), it causes the 4DO to go from fullscreen to a window, and it does not exit back to Gameex. I've tried different Advanced Config options, and nothing seems to work.... Is there any way to get this emulator to exit properly?

Hi TheMug,

Under Input Settings, check to see if you have enable Escape Escape Key Exit set to Yes. Of course, this is supposed to allow ESC to work with any emulator, but there have been a few cases when the emulator was stubborn and would not allow the override (I think Project64 acts like that).

If that does not help, please post your GameEx.ini file and a log.txt from when you ran and tried to exit 4DO.

And in the furture, any time you ask for assistance with GameEx, please get in the habit of posting those files in your request. It helps others help you. Thanks!

• Like 1

OK, try this: In the Advanced Emulator Setup, set the Advanced Config parameter to [Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close).

I was able to exit the 4DO emulator and return to GameEx using ESC as well as the Joystick Global Exit sequence I have set up on my config.

I tried that setting and it still does the same thing... hitting ESC makes the emulator go from a fullscreen to a window. I don't know if this is a clue but it also loses focus behind the background black out thing when it does that... if i hit alt-enter, it will return to fullscreen and focus.

When I tested it before, i did not have Gameex or 4DO full screen, so that was not a good like-for-like test...but it still told me that it was the right place to look.

When both were windowed, hitting ESC closed 4DO and GameEx came back up and was in focus. I found that without the [Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close) setting, ESC did not exit and instead changed the application from fullscreen to windowed mode as you stated. With it enabled, 4DO did close nicely and return to GameEx.

When both were full screen and that setting enabled, ESC closed out 4DO, but my PC would not quite return to GameEx. The screen would flash back and forth between a black screen and the desktop. It would continue cycling until I hit ESC again which in turn closed GameEx out. So, on Windows 7 this is sort of working...but is not useful. All of the other emulators I have utilize [Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close) or a variation of it and they exit nicely. So, I think that this is the option we need to leverage, but the functionality to work specifically for 4DO may not be present.

There may also be a difference between how GameEx is operating in Windows7 and Windows10 since our results are differing. Maybe someone else with Windows10 can test this as well.

Sorry it took a bit of time to come back to this.

I did some additional testing of the Advanced Config and the Global Exit. I found that without the Global Exit enabled, the Advanced Config settings had no effect. My understanding was that they worked together where Advanced Config would override the normal functionality of the emultor and the Global Exit would (normally) shut down the emulator. Perhaps I am incorrect on the intended functionality, but that is the way it has worked for me. Then again, maybe it is not working as intended. I cannot say myself now.

I think we need one of the more knowledgeable GameEx peeps to chime in.

On 24/06/2016 at 7:53 AM, TheMug said:

pressing ALT+F4 closes the emulator, but the option [Mapping Off] Exit (ALT+F4), doesn't work

Never used 4DO but try this: boot the emulator (outside of GameEx), go to Options> 4DO Settings. Under "General" tab, uncheck "When the main window loses focus, ignore keyboard".

Click OK and exit the emulator.

Keep your GameEx Advanced Config as it is ( [Mapping Off] Exit (ALT+F4) ) as it needs ALT+F4 to close. Boot GameEx, load a 3DO game, exit and report back with the usual files.

Good luck!

• Like 1