All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Looking for a new GamePad

hansolo77

I went ahead and bought this today:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/361579/Black_Xbox_360_Wireless_Controller_for_Windows

It's the whole kit, controller, receiver, batteries, etc.  I had to pick up some blank DL discs, and that store is the only one in my city that sells them.  They sell game stuff too, so I picked this up.  Prior to running to the store, I did a bit more research (now that I'm awake) and I found this blog post:

http://blog.lms-dev.com/raspberry/openelec-on-raspberry-with-an-xbox-360-controller/

Seems to me, this is exactly what I was looking for.  Raspberry Pi, OpenELEC OS, Wireless 360 controller.  Now I just need to get it setup and working.  :)

[EDIT]

Ok, so that walkthrough was pretty much pointless.  I went through hours of troubleshooting, trying to figure out why I can get the driver to install and run and detect all my inputs, but not work with RetroArch.  So just as a stroke of luck, I experimented with # commenting out all the autoload crap to see if I could figure out which part of it wasn't loading.  Well as it turns out, it worked without it.  RetroArch detected the device just fine.  It looks like I'll have to get up and "sync" the controller after it shuts down though.  Kinda bummed there.  But it works, and it's wireless!  Now all I have to do is figure out how to make my hands work with it instead of using my other controller.  It'll take some getting used to, using only 4 buttons instead of the 6.  Plus I'll have to go through now and remap all my cores to use the correct layout.  BUT IT WORKS!!!!

Since this is no longer an issue.. I won't drag on about it here.  But hey, if anybody comes up with a better controller, let me know!

I've just gotten used to the Xbox 360 controller though.  It feels good in my hands.  The PlayStation controllers feel small and awkward to me now.  I still like the way my Saitek controller feels, and the 6 face buttons.  But it's just needing replaced.  You play with it so long, the rubber wears thin (and cracks in my case).  Saitek offers newer models, but they don't have all the features.  One has wireless but no thumbstick buttons, the other has a wire but only 2 shoulder buttons instead of 4.  If they had a wireless, with 4 shoulders, thumbstick buttons, 6 face buttons, and vibration, I'd be in heaven.  :)