All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[NEWS] GameEx 14.46

Tom Speirs

Several cosmetic improvements in this release making every theme look better in my opinion. There is per pixel scrolling of the game list and a new default list transition. I really got tired of the list zipping left and right.MAME software list files are now supported via specifiying a hash XML file under advanced emulator settings. It is not full MAME support but it does allow you to use other emulators with MAME software list games and get the correct game names.

View the full article

• Like 2

Hmm.. I was launching my games via RocketLauncher via the AdvanceMAME config. Now I just get a black screen when I try launching a game. Will need to investigate some more, I guess...

Unfortunately I won't get a chance to play with it until tomorrow. To get RL working, I had an AHK script manually killing HideOS on game launch. Not sure if something changed with that to break how my games launched. Honestly, if that's the issue, I can probably just turn off the Hide Desktop stuff in GameEx, since I'm shelling directly to GameEx in Windows, so there's nothing to hide.

Or maybe I just need to fiddle with the Setup Wizard...

EDIT: Actually, I got the black screen trying to launch a game from my high score competition MAP file. The AdvanceMAME part might be fine. Again, will check it out tomorrow.

I use Rocketlauncher as well.

Rename HideOS.exe to "HideOSdisabled.exe", or whatever you like as long as you rename it something.

With each update you will have a new HideOS.exe, so you'll have to delete it.

It's working like a charm with the latest update...

What is not working: custom list!

After this latest update my custom list will not load.

It is in the Mame list, but will not open.

And yes, I have updated Gameex using "Update List" ;-)

Attached is my Gameex.ini file if anyone cares to take a look...

GameEx.ini

• Like 1

P.S.

I included the path to my custom list in MAMEFavoritesini

just to see if that would do anything. It didn't and has been changed back.

I forgot to copy the edited Gameex.ini to my Mac.

(Jump Desktop. Sitting at the desk on my mac is a lot easier than working on the Arcade while standing in front of a cab!)

Here it is again...

GameEx.ini

Hold the phone!

I used DeleteAllViews.exe and now the list is loading again.

All is running smooth, just had to select Change View to get it back to the layout I prefer.

Odd.

Perhaps it just needed a "reset" after the update?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, millerbrad said:

Unfortunately I won't get a chance to play with it until tomorrow. To get RL working, I had an AHK script manually killing HideOS on game launch. Not sure if something changed with that to break how my games launched. Honestly, if that's the issue, I can probably just turn off the Hide Desktop stuff in GameEx, since I'm shelling directly to GameEx in Windows, so there's nothing to hide.

Or maybe I just need to fiddle with the Setup Wizard...

EDIT: Actually, I got the black screen trying to launch a game from my high score competition MAP file. The AdvanceMAME part might be fine. Again, will check it out tomorrow.

So, it's not just the MAP files for me.  I'm apparently unable to launch my MAME games at all via RocketLauncher with 14.46 (worked fine on 14.45).  Games just launch to a black screen, and I have to kill all of the GameEx and RL tasks.

I think I'll just try re-installing RL from scratch (without modifying the included AHKs, and renaming HideOS.exe), since nightgaunt appears to have it working.

I am sorry if I broke anything guys! It could well be configuration rather than a bug as  I did spend quite a bit of time testing.

I can tell you I did test MAP files, and I did test MAME and other emulators.

If you can provide some solid stuff to help me I will gladly take a look.

Thanks.
Tom

1 hour ago, millerbrad said:

So, it's not just the MAP files for me.  I'm apparently unable to launch my MAME games at all via RocketLauncher with 14.46 (worked fine on 14.45).  Games just launch to a black screen, and I have to kill all of the GameEx and RL tasks.

I think I'll just try re-installing RL from scratch (without modifying the included AHKs, and renaming HideOS.exe), since nightgaunt appears to have it working.

Are you getting the message from Rocketlauncher "cannot find DATA\EMULATORS\MAME.db3?"

I was getting the same thing after the update.

What fixed it for me was copying Data.db3 and pasting it into the EMULATORS folder

and then renaming it to MAME.db3.

Seems to have fixed it.

I was a bit concerned that doing this may muck something else up in Gameex, but so far so good.

This is why we have backups, you can always go back ;-) 

7 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

Strange as I really don't think I made any changes to the code that would affect that. It was only what was in the release notes as far as I know.

Rocketlauncher has been on a roll lately with updates.

May have been something on thier end, hard to tell from my side of things.

Or something just finally butt heads between the two programs?

The connection between Gameex and RL is a bit odd with having to use 

AdvancedMame and tricky code. But damn, I do love the fade and bezel support in RL.

No offense intended ;-)

4 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

No offence taken. I hear it is very good.

It just takes the wind out of my sails a bit when I do an update and then wonder if I screwed something up!

Its just human nature.

Cheers.

Tom.

Shows you really care about what you offer to the masses!

And you have created a mighty fine thing here, indeed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, millerbrad said:

Hmm.. I was launching my games via RocketLauncher via the AdvanceMAME config. Now I just get a black screen when I try launching a game. Will need to investigate some more, I guess...

Same problem here, but not using rocket launcher....

When I try to run any emulator I'm getting a black screen, and nothing happens.... I renamed the hideos as commented, but now the screen is stack at loading message on Gameex, need to open task manager to close.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

If I Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the black screen for an NES game, NEStopia throws a "found no valid display adapter" error.  

If I Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the black screen for a MAME game, then open Task Manager, that makes the game load.

GameEx.ini

log MAMEviaRL_HideOSNotRenamed.txt

log MAMEviaRL_HideOSRenamed.txt

log NESGame_HideOSNotRenamed.txt

log NESGame_HideOSRenamed.txt

EDIT: I tried replacing GameEx.exe with the version you just posted.  Still the same problem...

log.txt