All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[COMMUNITY PROJECT] 400x400 Game Logo Snaps Project

I am, or was, in the process of creating a new theme. This project seems like a good fit for some of what I'd like to include in it. Also, the batch resizing aspect is appealing since I was looking for a way to make sure all my emumovies boxart (For PS2, GC, Wii, etc.) and Mame posters conform to the same pixel ratio. This way they will fit into my theme's foreground bezels (Can be anything from a simple boarder, to a game cartage, or an arcade cabinet, the possibilities are endless). This is the easiest method of displaying each system with a custom and beautiful menu of it's own. However, your limited to only 2 images that can change on a per game basis. Thats where custom artwork overlay come in (@Krakerman's GameRoomEx v2, since discontinued, for example)  Would work well in Mame to ensure marquees fit into the marquee bezel of the foreground overlay. Anyway, you can see where I'm going with this. So basically there is interest for these and I would like to urge you all on.

I will have some time this summer to work on this project, if I can figure out what I'm doing. I can work my way around Paint.net pretty well now, having made many custom theme backgrounds for myself and GameRoomEx v2 (Thanks to Krakerman for the inspiration!), but I'm a Gimp noob and haven't much a clue how to source any of the files to begin with. So, for finishing work, I'm game if we can put together a tutorial for getting started and what to do from there. Maybe a video that starts from scratch, 1) download this, 2) this is where the repository of file needing finishing work is, 3) here is an example of what needs to be done to each file in the list, 4) and here is how to name the completed *.png file and wher to save it, 5) here is how to sync your local folder to the cloud, 6) and so on..as needed to participate in the project.

I will be working reduced hours and have 4 days off per week this summer to devote to projects. I was going just try and bang out another theme, but this sounds important so I'll try to do both If I can figure out how, of course. Stigs plan sounds organized. I like it. Also, I was debating whether or not to make my theme in 4K instead of 1080P, so his idea of keeping the largest file as possible in an unadulterated master file makes all kind of sense for futurproofing the project. And lets be real, this project will be a long term play, so 4K will likely be mainstream by the time this project is completed. Let’s not shoot ourselves in the foot by only having 400X400 finished images when we could have 800x800 or what have you. Is there a way to batch reduce to the required 400X400 if we start with an image set of 1:1 pixel ratio images?

Good to see interest. 

Having spent some time putting GameSetMatch through its paces have learned some stuff. 

Firstly the good news - the Playstation 1 set is nearly complete, depending on which list you use. For the GameEx db:

Run on: 2016/06/19 22:48:21
Setup: GameLogos: Sony PlayStation
Total Entries: 986
Matched: 695
No. of orphans: 291
RomFile Convention: GoodName

And for PS1 games using Hyperlist:

Run on: 2016/06/19 22:51:07
Setup: GameLogos: Sony PlayStation (HList)
Total Entries: 1807
Matched: 1807
No. of orphans: 0
RomFile Convention: Name

:)

PS1 set nearly complete! You can download it here:

https://link.getsync.com/#f=GameLogos&sz=1E9&t=2&s=MWIGK757BQZLGD2PPVG3HUAZ6D3INASGQHJBJHHQL5BVQ7MTE6OA&i=C7KPN6LN2XZ5IPNAJFC4XDCMXSHFAKCPG&e=1466632322&v=2.3

If someone wants to grab them + do all the resize gubbins + upload them to the ftp - be my guest...

The bad news: most of any pre-existing images seem to be a max of 400px in any one direction. Someone's done a lot of work on the existing image sets + I wonder whether they have larger un-scaled versions somewhere, but as for public-ally available, it looks like 400px is the limit. 

You make some good points, felix, about future-proofing and 4k. However, I'm sure others in the retro-game community are thinking likewise so would be interesting to see where they're at with things. 

As for GIMP - it wont take long to pick it up. The main research/practice you should look into include:

- Creating a transparent background on an image

- Using the select and lasso tool

- layer and filter effects

- anti-aliasing edges

- getting clean edges on an image.

- de-speckle/sharpen image

As for sourcing - GameSetMatch can help you with that - it'll do web searches for images related to missing games.

Good luck.

400x400 was chosen as it pretty much fits the scale of the grid view in GameEx almost flawlessly. If someone sourced and sized 800x800 images and wanted to scalle them down to 400x400, they could easily do so using the ImageMagick command line that I noted in the first post.

Another reason for choosing this size is that some of the older logos are sourced from images that weren't much bigger in the height or width. 400x400 hits the "sweet spot" for the intent of the project without pixelizing the images due to upscaling too much from their original size.

@stigzler Firefox gave me a "server not found" error. Is the link broken, od I need something other than clicking on it, or maybe my internet settings are preventing me from loading it. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, stigzler said:

As for GIMP - it wont take long to pick it up. The main research/practice you should look into include:

- Creating a transparent background on an image

- Using the select and lasso tool

- layer and filter effects

- anti-aliasing edges

- getting clean edges on an image.

- de-speckle/sharpen image

As for sourcing - GameSetMatch can help you with that - it'll do web searches for images related to missing games.

Good luck.

Most of that can be done on Pain.net. Not sure about the anti-allasing or clean edges, I usually use a combination of Magicwand + blur effects/shadow to soften and shadow edges. I'll have to rediscover GIMP, I abandoned it in favor of Pain.net. I'll have to play with GameSetMatch and the tools Draco mentioned in the first post.

@Draco1962 Makes sense.

Are we still focusing on MAME? I'll probably start working on this next week. SO knowing where to start would be useful (I don't want to spinn the tires working on something someone else already is).

Other than replacing a few images and sourcing a few missing, MAME is almost complete.Would be great to see some of the more common systems started (pretty much your pick) such as any of the Nintendo, Sega, Playstation systems and then working towards the more obscure systems. Wherever you feel like starting is fine with me. 

Just so everyone is aware, my time here is going to be limited. I am working here and there on projects in the PinballX forums as time permits, which due to some real life issues hasn't been much. I am hoping things settle down soon so I can get back to this and the others I have started.

@RIP-Felix

Hmm - apologies - still getting used to BTSync. Try this one:

https://link.getsync.com/#f=GameLogos&sz=86E7&t=2&s=MWIGK757BQZLGD2PPVG3HUAZ6D3INASGQHJBJHHQL5BVQ7MTE6OA&i=CQKAPOWHW2H5QBRW2HI2YLYX6JLDGKGTL&v=2.3

It's the link directly off my 24/7 server. The other was from a client machine. I'll need to activate your request - not sure how my ISP would be if anyone could DL directly without approval first. This one is read only, but let me know if you're going to actively source/make game logos and I can give you read/write permissions. 

@Draco1962 - This is starting to feel like two separate projects - one to gather, collate or make the game logos and another to resize them and upload them to the FTP. Shall we split the two off? Happy to co-ordinate the former...

It is one multi-step project. You have to categorize and source the images before you cleanup and resize and upload to the FTP. I don't see where anything has changed.

Not much really to coordinate. If someone has a system that they want to volunteer to source the images, clean up as needed and resize,  all they need to do is volunteer in this thread. If someone wants to assist someone by working on the same systems to divide and conquer the work, the can coordinate with each other in this thread as well. 

I don't expect to see 100% completion on any system although I am open for surprises. 

This project is going to be a long term project. MAME is just the start. 

My short on time statement was just to inform everyone that my participation beyond what has been started is going to be limited due to some family issues, etc.

I feel that we have talent aplenty to fill the gaps and get the ball rolling. Keep it simple, have fun and take pride in giving back to the community is all I ask of those wanting to help.

• Like 1