All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Random Black Box Behind Title Images

nightgaunt98

I meant logo, not ogo. I had a bit of an interruption while typing and missed the misspelling.  Funny how you can be doing something and people will interrupt for the dumbest crap.

Stigzler pretty much asked what I was leading towards. The image files would be a welcome upload to the FTP site. Would also help me in trying to replicate the issue on my rig as well by having the same media.

18 hours ago, stigzler said:

Nice gameroom. Is that a separate dynamic marquee. Love me some dynamic marquee. Others may be suprised to hear me say that because I never go on about it at all. Ever....

Also - where are those game logos from? I aint got that in my mame assets collection. They are much needed - could you upload them to the GameEx FTP?

:)

Yep, dynamic marquee. 

It's a USB powered monitor that used to be in my Virtuapin, but I just got a real DMD for it.

Cut out a rectangle in my bezel and mounted it in my Arcade cab.

It's an old MK2 cabinet, nice large monitor glass and bezel space on that cab. Plenty of room for a widescreen monitor with the USB one above it.

I'm using your Marquee Masher which is brilliant by the way!

It takes a bit on startup for the dynamic marquees to start showing up, but it's really not that big of a deal ;-)

Once it gets rolling it's smooth.

Yep, I can upload the title logos that I have. It's not a whole set, only about 300 of them. 

(I handpicked out roms I would actually play)

Both full sized as well as a cropped/resized set to fit in Gameex's boxes.

A lot of them I found on the interwebs searching for "(game name) Logo" and just photoshopping the background out.

Some of them are from HS, but I'm not sure if there

would be some sort of stigma with me uploading them to Gameex's FTP?

I'd really rather not piss anyone off, if you get my meaning.

Speaking of Gameex boxes.

Back to it for a bit....

17 hours ago, Adultery said:

I still think this is a GameEx issue with the alpha channel during the rendering FWIW.

I think so too.

I've gone back into my Gameex.ini and the Settings Wizard and poked around for anything dealing with anything 

remotely related to alpha channels, display, blah, deblah. Still can't find that 1 silly setting that may need to be changed.

Because you know it's going to be one of those slap the forehead "of course" kinda things in the end.

Did you check in the Theme Editor under Edit | Options |Settings and select Enable Alpha Channel  and Alpha Blend Videos for the theme you are using? Likely you have and I am pretty sure you are using a Version 4 theme.

4 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Did you check in the Theme Editor under Edit | Options |Settings and select Enable Alpha Channel  and Alpha Blend Videos for the theme you are using? Likely you have and I am pretty sure you are using a Version 4 theme.

Yep. I've tried both enabled and disabled.

As well as all combinations of disabling / enabling between the two plus the Display Background Image and Display Snap.

Whole lotta nada.

None of those combinations made any difference at all.

Attached is a screen shot of the current settings.

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 4.30.41 PM.JPG

Regarding the alpha rendering issue, I was able to replicate it in several themes with some images I had available.

As for sharing your files, 99% of those files found on HS were also found elsewhere so I don't see any harm in sharing them if you are willing. I can see putting them to use in my own setup in some form.

Knowing the dimensions are that you used could help others in sourcing and putting together sets for various emulators other than MAME for composing their own themes. I assume from the videos that you are using the smaller of the two "box" sizes.

2 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Regarding the alpha rendering issue, I was able to replicate it in several themes with some images I had available.

As for sharing your files, 99% of those files found on HS were also found elsewhere so I don't see any harm in sharing them if you are willing. I can see putting them to use in my own setup in some form.

Knowing the dimensions are that you used could help others in sourcing and putting together sets for various emulators other than MAME for composing their own themes. I assume from the videos that you are using the smaller of the two "box" sizes.

Right now I am using the "Just Black" theme. 

Did you try that one? Curious if it is an issue with the theme, but I did try several other themes and had the same issue.

Not all the logos are from Hyperspin anyways ;-)

Where would I upload the logos, "Other Uploads"?

And what should the folder be called?

The template I used is 256x240 pixels.

Attached is my PSD Template.

The boxes displayed in Gameex actually changed size on their own when I edited the List section in Template Editor.

Didn't know there was an option for size. Where would I find that setting?

SQUARE TEMPLATE.psd

If uploading to the FTP, I would create under Other Uploads a folder using your forum ID and a subfolder for the system the logo files are for (i.e. MAME).  

There isn't a size option per se. If you click Change View enough times you will see the small and larger square sizes.

Uploading now. 

I accidentally created an empty folder "untitled folder". Doh.

I liked how the title sizes were changing while messing around with the template in the editor.

That is actually how I wound up with the full screen view. "I wonder what this would do..." scenario.

Maybe you could try out some of the logos I'm uploading in the "Just Black" theme

and see if those stubborn black boxes appear on your end?

If I had a nickel for every time I created a.....oh wait, I'm pretty sure it's no prob with the untitled folder:D

As a community as a whole, I think it's fair to say everyone's in it for the common good, so I don't think you've got any worries with upsetting anyone.  Except for perhaps the most die-hard's, every gaming community I'm active in is so incredibly full of good people, I just can't imagine any issues arising.

Draco, nullPointer and stigzler invited me to do some pretty in depth logo collection projects we've undertaken here, if you're so inclined to want to check them out, stigzler uploaded them some time ago.  

Granted these are dev logo's, but that was the aim of the project.  Regardless it could save you at least a bit on the front end of finding them if they happen to be something you're looking for.

You've presented some really interesting alternatives to the traditional GameEx appearance with your of out of the box approach, and I think it's pretty damn cool!  Thanks for sharing your creativeness!

• Like 1

Now the cats out the bag with the snaffling of hs game logos, is there any way we can get hold of a full mame set?

As for ftp structure, how about: GameLogos> Mame> FullSize (or Resized for your other set)glad you found m masher useful. As for the delay, I found if you use a marquee which has large dimentions, it takes a while to resize.

6 hours ago, stigzler said:

Now the cats out the bag with the snaffling of hs game logos, is there any way we can get hold of a full mame set?

The below quote gives me the distinct feeling the answer to this is "no".  That would be a huge undertaking, but it would make for a good project!

14 hours ago, nightgaunt98 said:

Yep, I can upload the title logos that I have. It's not a whole set, only about 300 of them. 

(I handpicked out roms I would actually play)

Speaking of bags, go have another look at mine in the FTP.

May find a surprise in there...

Back to those black boxes.

I'm really about to give up on my end.

Just can't figure it out, been waking up at 5am just so I can poke around and beat my head against the keyboard 

before I start work. There's not enough coffee in the world to fuel me for this, hahaha.

Hahaha!

Oh, I'm being patient and extremely appreciative of folks looking into this! 

I was just saying I've pretty much exhausted what I can do on my end.

Side question while I'm here:

8 hours ago, stigzler said:

As for ftp structure, how about: GameLogos> Mame> FullSize (or Resized for your other set)glad you found m masher useful. As for the delay, I found if you use a marquee which has large dimentions, it takes a while to resize.

Any hint as how to go about editing the x y position of images in Marquee Masher?

You mean offset the top left of the image from 0,0 at top left of screen? Should be easy to code - just stick me a reminder on the MarqueeMasher project page and I'll have a look at it at some point. This evening I am mainly sitting on my arse. Apologies. 

• Like 1

Brilliant!

I just threw a blip on your MarqueeMasher project page.

Enjoy your evening of leisure ;-)

Did you take a peek into: Other Uploads / nightgaunt98 / MAME / Title Logos Full Size?

6,597 bits of logo goodness in there. Hopefully will be of some use...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nightgaunt98 said:

Did you take a peek into: Other Uploads / nightgaunt98 / MAME / Title Logos Full Size?

6,597 bits of logo goodness in there. Hopefully will be of some use...

I did, thanks!

As much as I like the idea of trimming it down to a select list, there are threads that pop up from time to time about obscure games you may not be familiar with, but are really good.

Starblade comes to mind, as it reminds me a bit Star Fox.  I forget so many others, so I started putting together a text document for them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tthurman said:

I did, thanks!

As much as I like the idea of trimming it down to a select list, there are threads that pop up from time to time about obscure games you may not be familiar with, but are really good.

Starblade comes to mind, as it reminds me a bit Star Fox.  I forget so many others, so I started putting together a text document for them.

I had originally only uploaded my "In Use" logo folder yesterday,

but woke up early this morning and went ahead and uploaded the ridiculously huge

"Master" folder. I'm sure it's not 100% complete, but damn, it sure is a heaping spoonful.

This would make for another great, epic media project to start with the MAME logos, then branch out to the logos for the consoles, PC games, etc. A huge undertaking, but over time could be a great resource for all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stigzler said:

Whoa - not only mame but loads of other systems in the FTP too. It was always needing to happen and finally it has. Good work, dude. This'll help with the Evo designs no end. 

Yep, there's a bunch still uploading as we speak.

"Scratch my back, I scratch yours" and all ;-)

5 hours ago, stigzler said:

Thas the way it works, fella - gotta give to get. 

Now go out there and tell all those other taker buggers that too! Good work, man

Indeed! Every small bit adds to the whole.

I have some other artwork that I've collected, altered, or created myself.

Let me know what could be of use, I can get some stuff together.