All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Dolphin full kill on exit

mviars

I Have dolphin running and starting fine using gameEx but when exiting the dolphin front end still remains. I used task manager ans noticed that 2 Dolphin processes are running when a game is being played however when in GameEx and esc the game one process is still running which is the dolphin front end. I am assuming that one process is the front end and one is the game being played and that GameEx only kills the game being played process.I have noticed that when im in the task manager with both processes running that if I kill the Front end process that both the front end and game processes get killed. So I think i need GameEx to kill the front end process and I am not completely sure how to. I know that if I go to the GameEx's config file under emulators that I can create a .ini file and I see an area that says "process1=" and I think thats where I need to enter something but not sure of the proproer sintax to use.

Within Setup Wizard, you may need to leverage the Emulator Launch After functionality with a batch file to "kill" the processes may be the way you will need to go.

Yeah that makes sense and I know where that is located in the wizard but never actually made a batch file that I know of. Do I just use notepad? what kind of a command or text do I include? You know come to think of it I did have to use some kind of kill command in my pinballX pinball machine to kill the backglass when exiting on certain tables but do not remember how I did it.

Strange it still doesnt kill the Dolphin front end only the game that is running which it did even before the batch file. However if I run the batch file outside of GameEx it kills Dolphin they way I would want it to.

1 hour ago, Draco1962 said:

I think it may be backwards a little. Try  TASKKILL /IM dolphin.exe /F

Damn same result. so strange that it kills it fine when running dolphin outside GameEx but not when running through GameEx. I just use the wizard and go to the advanced emulator setup then down to launch after section then point to the bat file right? Do I need to do anything with the advanced config section right below it?

When you run Dolphin outside of GameEx, have you looked in Task Manager to see if there are any other associated processes? If there are more loading than just the dolphin.exe, you may have to add additional lines to kill them as well.

Like I said before there are two different processes running when you start a game even from command line one seems to be the user interface and the other the game that is running. If I kill just the game process the user interface still stays running however if I kill the user interface process both shut down. Also remember if I run the batch file outside of GameEx then both processes(user interface and the game) shut down just not from inside GameEx.

Well I was able to find a simpler solution. In the hotkey setting in dolphin I noticed the exit command as not bound to any key so I bound it to the escape key and everything completely exits back to GameEx. Funny how it can end up be something so simple.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Believe me for as much help as this forum and its members have given me it makes me happy I could help even a little.

Also for what is is worth I had a similar issue with Stella(Atari 2600) and without digging to far into a solution I used the same solution as above to exit the game with no front-end on exit.

and lastly I spent a lot of time with video errors on fusion(sega master system / genesis) only to find a solution by combing through many post and finding that with win10 and possibly win8 that you need to run in compatibility mode for win7.

I am not sure if these were in any perspective wiki's but could be very helpful as well.

mviars - sounds like you just volunteered yourself to start the Stella and Fusion wiki entries!

Template here:

http://gameex.info/wiki/index.php/Template:Emulator

Wiki basics, here:

http://gameex.info/wiki/index.php/Community_Portal

It took me about 30 minutes to get the wiki basics.

To make the page, search "Stella" and "Fusion" When it says page not found, choose create page. 

On 4/18/2016 at 5:51 PM, stigzler said:

mviars - sounds like you just volunteered yourself to start the Stella and Fusion wiki entries!

Template here:

http://gameex.info/wiki/index.php/Template:Emulator

Wiki basics, here:

http://gameex.info/wiki/index.php/Community_Portal

It took me about 30 minutes to get the wiki basics.

To make the page, search "Stella" and "Fusion" When it says page not found, choose create page. 

Yeah I guess I walked into that one. When I get a few more things sorted I'll see what I can do.

• Like 1