All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Newbie - help

TheThinker

Hi all,

I'm new in the forum, (well done, it looks like a great community) ;)

I think Gameex is a great product but I still do not understand how to do few things:

FIRST PROBLEM:

I have thousands of roms when it comes to nes, snes, master system, genesis. The problem is that there are lots of clones, hacks, etc..

I'd like to play only the roms that work perfectly and not their variations, so 1 roms per game. I had no problem in mame because in the menu I selected do not show clones but I could not find that option for the other emulators

So I tried to exclude the versions I do not need with the delete key but it is time consuming, I tried the wildcards and I had no luck.

I have also downloaded and selected from the menu the databases sega genesis, master system, nes, snes but all the clones are showing up in my list.

What's the quickest and best way to accomplish the above?

SECOND PROBLEM:

If I accomplish the above I would like to add videos to those emulators and roms. I have an account on emumovies and on this website and I have downloaded all the videos but lots of these videos are not showing or not working correctly. In mame they are working very well.

I have exactly the same problem with Snaps, they are in .PNG format

Is there a way to create a set from my existing roms compatible with the videos/snaps I have downloaded?

Are there particular set created for emumovies so I know they will work

Please let me know and many thanks in advance!

The Thinker

(My settings: GameEx with Aeon Inspirat theme)

Hello TheThinker, welcome to the GameEx forums.

Judging from your post, I gather you are using MAME (MESS) as your console emulator. That being the case, you'll need to keep in mind that the emu-movie support and filtering options all function in regard to the arcade side of MAME, as this is what these features was introduced to accomplish. Much wider support for the console side of MAME will come in time, but that support will likely arrive later down the road as a feature of Evolution, and not in the current release of GameEx. It is going to happen though.

At this time I believe your options are limited in this aspect, and unless somebody knows something I don't (very possible BTW ;)) then manual editing of your sets and snaps is your best bet.

• Like 1

TL;DR - unless you're lucky enough to find premade sets you're going to have to do the matching by hand. However since most of us are Completists you're also going to have to edit your ROM lists manually to filter out the stuff you don't want.

--------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately I had to do what tthurman mentioned but in the end it was completely worth it. I love my setup now and it's exactly how I want it.

I edited every ROM set on my Arcade Cabinet for every system(except MAME - I use the Favorites feature for that) and matched the file names for box, cart, overlay, snap, etc as I downloaded them. When I started doing this though there wasn't much on the internet set up for this kind of thing. There were a few sets I acquired that were pre-matched and I just deleted the ROMs I didn't want but these are rare. Perfect example is Atari 2600. There are a couple thousand ROMs according to Good2600 but you don't need 7 versions of Asteroids. I deleted anything that ended with [a1], [b1], [R2-D2], had a European release under a different name, etc.

One shortcut I used later on was finding Hyperspin-labeled sets and matching the ROM name to the set. Someone did all the muscle work so it took less time.

Side note - There's some games I just can't find a video preview for so I downloaded a YouTube video of the game (there's a lot of them) then used a program to cut a section out as a video snap. It's on my cabinet so I'm not sure exactly what that program is called right now. Some video snaps also don't show how to play the game. You can tell the snap was made by someone who didn't know the game so this method also shows a better representation of game play on your cabinet.

Hope all that made sense. I'm still tired this morning. :)

• Like 3

I did most of the same sort of stuff as ClassicGMR as well (and am still working on some aspects). If you want a REALLY nice and fancy setup that includes all sorts of snazzy graphics and videos, it takes time. You gotta like doing this sort of thing.

GameEx can be relatively simple to configure if all you want is a bare-bones setup that works...or it can be a tinker's dream/nightmare. ;)

And take it from a guy who has reconfigured and set up GameEx many, many, many times...save your progress.

• Like 1

Agreed. There are a few things in this hobby that I can think of that don't require a bit of study, trial & error, and old-fashioned elbow grease. If any of these things scare anyone or they expect things to automagically work right out of the box, then they need to invest in a PS4 or XBox One. If you want satisfaction in making a system "your own" and are willing to put in the time and sweat a little blood once in a while, then you are in the right arena.

These are all good advices, and to add to it here is my bit of wisdom (unless it has changed): The "auto downloader" which you enable within the GameEx Setup Wizard, will scan your roms, then download all artwork it finds that makes sense and rename/name it to match (and put it in the folders you have already predefined in the Setup Wizard).

However, there is a second more controllable external program that comes with GameEx. You can find it in Start> All Programs> GameEx> Config i believe. It may be called Artwork Downloader or something like that. With thiis app/program, you can manually point it to your rom folder, and it will download everything it finds that matches.

• Like 1