All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Will GameEx cover me on these?

NLS

It's a bit late to ask as I already have a lifetime license :D but I have managed to have NOT set it up (I mean anything after install), since I got it.

I'd like your feedback (and the devs feedback would be VERY welcome, esp. with Evolution "coming" hopefully during our lifetime) on the "specs" I list below...

- Portable, preferably even over network. I have my emulation stuff in my home server, which I access over network AND a large part of it also on a 4TB 2.5" USB disk. I would love if I could start a shortcut over the network (with or without a mapped letter - so ability to use and read UNC paths) and/or take my disk with me and plug it at work or wherever and run it (support relative paths). I gave a fight for QMC2 to support such things, but QMC2 is far from a well-featured "arcade" mode. And is only MAME limited.

- Easy setup, preferably wizard-driven. I was very surprised to see how (the once very limited) LaunchBox evolved (ahm... no pun intended) in this field.

- Would love ability to dig inside compressed files (zip and 7z). For example TOSEC is now shared with large compressed files that represent each sub-category of a system. Emulators mostly don't handle this (some only handle single "ROM" zips, but not something like that). Would love a system transparently able to make use of these.

- I am comfortable with directly using MAME, WinVICE, WinUAE etc. and I am a completionist, but I don't expect the rest to be the same and I want to rise the Ease-of-Use (and WAF) bar. I want a nice FE that easily filters favorites etc.

- Would like to NOT make extra purchases.

- I plan to use an arcade controller and with LEDs (already have a multi-port board to build one), but not at first. I do own a gamepad (and a HOTAS but I don't think it is relevant).

- Would love to be as much plug-n-play in ROM extras as possible. Something in the vein "well you don't have the video for this game, but I am downloading it for you". This is were things go in software anyway.

- Would like ability to start stand-alone (contemporary) games and/or cooperate with Steam system.

- Would like ability to play media either directly or have some ready-made plug-in to transparently merge with something like MediaPortal or Kodi (XBMC).

...I may have forgotten some of my needs. :P

...now, where GameEx stands on the above? Yes I have read the feature list, yet I'd like some "real life" feedback and hopefully some info on what is coming (that I possibly would now miss, based on the above).

If I read your list correctly, GameEx already does nearly all of these things.

The only one I'm sceptical on is the portable install since GameEx uses some registry values. Like you, all my games are on a server and are accessed over UNC. This works just fine. It's the app itself you may have some trouble with.

Would love a portable setup.

Having registry entries is not that hard though (you run setup on the destination you want) and/or possibly export the registry entries for import from a batch file.

Although if there are absolute paths in there we need to be careful.