All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

HD MAME Pin Cab videos

Tom Speirs

Hey all,

I am working on some MAME upscaled videos for Pinball cabs.

Here is an example:

http://www.pinballx.net/batrider.mp4

http://www.pinballx.net/1942.mp4

http://www.pinballx.net/arkanoid.mp4

What do you think? Is it worth pursuing, is there any interest in these? I wanted to know as they take a while to do.

As you can see they are smooth 60fps at 1080p also using 2hqs scaling filter.

You will need to play it in a decent player using direct3d and vsync to see the quality. It is smooth 60fps.

• Like 6

I think a lot of people could benefit from that.

Having said that, I make my own MAME videos using a heavily altered version of CarnyPriest's ffmpeg autohotkey script.

Because I use my own custom hlsl settings when playing MAME and I'd likt to say that reflected in the videos.

It's a b#$@h to do them all, though, so I think your effort would be highly appreciated by the community.

My pin cab isn't done yet, but when it is, I would use these for sure. I can see these being an attractive option to those wanting to utilize their cabs for a little MAME action too.

Should be awesome for vertical games, with plenty of extra real-estate for bezels etc....

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this thread because I've been very busy lately.

I use PinballX A lot for vertical games that I've created my own XML for to the best of my ability. Thanks a lot Tom for the work on these. I'm downloading now and will check them out very soon :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tom may I ask how you can generate a listing of all vertical games alphabetically by their set name used in MAME?

I created my XML by eyeballing snaps which isn't the most percise.

I've downloaded all 1215 of the MP4 files, but the XML I've created only has 86X something games. Do you happen to have an XML that matches all these files so I can give them all a look?

Again Thanks for creating these as I enjoy very much playing vertical MAME games in PinballX. I have to say it's the absolute best option :)

Actually, I could just use the file names of the MP4 files as a reference listing to see what's missing from my XML. However, if Tom already has one created that would save a ton of time because I'm not aware of any way to automate the creation of it.

This article may save you some time. Here is the command I used for creating a text file listing the files within a directory from the command prompt.

1. CD to PinballX\Media\MAME\Table Videos

2. Type dir /b > mamevertlist

3. Hit Enter.

Look for the file in the same directory. Or you can just use the one I have attached.

mamevertlist.txt

It is just the filenames so you will have your work cut out matching to the game names, but it is a start.

EDIT: Just in case anyone else is interested I have also included the catver.ini converted to a mamecsv file for those with Excel or OpenOffice or other spreadsheet programs for sorting, etc.

MAME.zip

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All done and uploading now :)

Its a coded solution to spot the loops so there will be a couple of bad ones. Feel free to report them.

Ill post a news item once they are uploaded.

Happy New Years Tom and thanks again for making these available. I scrolled through every MAME game in my setup and only see a small amount of videos missing. I have to figure out if the video didn't get made or if it's a XML creation mistake on my part. Just thought I'd throw these up now before I lost the listing.

Thanks again for your work and making these available :)

Air Duel (airduel)

Arm wrestling (armwrest)

Astropal (astropal)

Dragon Spirt (dspirt)

Evil Stone (evilston)

Exciting Soccer (exctsccr)

Gekisou (gekisou)

Hang Pilot (hangplt)

Konami 80's AC Special (konam80s)

Megatack (megatack)

P-47 The Phantom Fighter (p47)

Pepper II (pepper2)