All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Problems with SSF and newest version of GameEx

jombee

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 5:10 PM, tthurman said:

Disclaimer:  If this is mentioned elsewhere in, I want to mention that I didn't read this entire thread.

I've been searching on this, and one solution I found was to delete the ssf.ini and settings.ini and start over.  For some the ssf.ini was the problem, but seemingly this method has corrected the problem for some..

I didn't think this would make any difference, and it doesn't. As far as I am concerned, it has nothing to do with settings or anything else along them lines, it is a process or resource issue I believe.

Yes, there are no logs at all.

Also, if GameEx is killing the process, which I can't see in the code, perhaps try renaming the executable.

I do tend to think as I said its some kind of audio/Video conflct and SSF is just closing because of this.

Saying old versions of GX work is not really too helpful unless you can say which one.

This is all probably all due to some kind of update outside the Gameex code. It could be an update to lib included with GameEx like bass.dll.

I can assure you though "GameEx is not killing the process!"

Cheers.

Tom.

On 3/18/2016 at 9:49 PM, Adultery said:

Looks like Jombee uses an ArcadeVGA card and anthologee uses an nVidia, so that theory is a bust. :(

Two of you are running low resolutions though... Mogg is at 720x480, and I think Jombee must be at or below that with an ArcadeVGA card. What are the rest of you running at?

Hello Adultery,

I am using An ArcadeVGA 3000 (AMD) with 800 x 600 resolution, but the same exact thing happens in 640 x 480 also.

1 hour ago, Tom Speirs said:

Geez, this is getting to be a long topic!

You say older builds of GameEx work. Exactly  which ones?

Hi Tom,

The "newest" version of GameEx that I currently have where this problem does not happen is 13.08

I've used SSF for years with GameEx, and have never had this issue with any earlier version

Unfortunately, I only update my Cab every year or so. 

SSF had always worked perfectly with GameEx in the past.

I've mentioned previously that I would be happy to test every version one by one going backwards if someone can provide me with them or a location where I can download them from.

Thanks again for your help!

1 hour ago, Tom Speirs said:

Also, if GameEx is killing the process, which I can't see in the code, perhaps try renaming the executable.

I do tend to think as I said its some kind of audio/Video conflct and SSF is just closing because of this.

Saying old versions of GX work is not really too helpful unless you can say which one.

This is all probably all due to some kind of update outside the Gameex code. It could be an update to lib included with GameEx like bass.dll.

I can assure you though "GameEx is not killing the process!"

Cheers.

Tom.

Hello Tom,

I renamed the executable, and still get the same result. 

SSF gets killed.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, greatflash said:

I didn't think this would make any difference, and it doesn't. As far as I am concerned, it has nothing to do with settings or anything else along them lines, it is a process or resource issue I believe.

The thread I was reading had people reporting exactly the same behavior as this thread, and it was from 2010.  It was bumped in 2013, and that's when someone suggested wiping the ini's, which worked for the one person that responded.  Given the lack of progress in this thread, I figured it was worth a shot. 

I will give it a go when I get home. 

I didn't say it was killing a process, I was just looking at the two options

so. It looks like something during the init of ssf is locked and causing it to drop back. Sadly ssf does not write a log and the source is not available, making it a little hard to debug. Shima has had requests for the source before and has not released it to anyone afik. 

Sadly, that leaves Yabuse! Benefit that there is no need for a virtual drive, bad news is that it is way behind ssf!

No worries. Its all good. The fact that it worked in an older version of GameEx is good. I expect I should be able to fix it if does. That build is only from late last year too.

That's what I am thinking though, yes. Its crapping out because of a conflict.

I am sure it is somewhere. The initialisation on ssf is pretty long with the final stage being the opening of the full window/screen view. So. Seeing it balls out at around a quarter of this duration I would think it was not video related as I would expect the video initialisation to be later on the list?

one thing I noticed in the events was the ssf.exe runs with virtualisation

Too bad there isn't a free app that could be set to launch before SSF is initialized to watch and log the processes of both SSF and GameEx to narrow down where SSF is failing. 

8 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Okay. I managed to be able to get 14.40.

Lets please stop saying GameEx is killing the process though. The process is not getting killed by GameEx. SSF is launching then having an issue then exiting. Lets be clear on that.

Here is 14.40

http://www.gameex.com/GameExSetup_14.40.exe

Please report back.

Thanks.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I've tested SSF with 14.40, and still get the same result.

If you have any earlier versions available, I would be happy to test each one to try to narrow this problem down.

Thanks again for your help!

15 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

Sorry, I can't do that. I need to know exactly when it worked.

Hi Tom, i listed the version above, 13.08

I only update every year or so, I don't have any versions in between

Thanks!

Well, looks like DT changed the command line options again. I just get a popup saying mount switch error. Did a google, nothing.

The files in the DT install are dated March 1st, 2016. Which is newer than when I last fixed this.

Oh well. Can't help much right now.