All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Problems with SSF and newest version of GameEx

jombee

If you have upgraded to the latest version, please submit updated copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files from when the error occured. Helps to eliminate second guessing from those attempting to help you. Thanks!

Thanks for replying!

As requested, I have attached my gameex.ini and log.txt file for GameEx Version 14.43 to this post.

Thanks!

GameEx.ini

log.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Noticing the number of threads dealing with SSF (besides my own) and GameEx killing it with Windows 7, I would be happy to test each and every version of GameEx to see exactly which version this issue began.  We know that SSF worked fine in the "13.x" series, so if someone can point me in the right direction as to were I can download previous versions I would really appreciate it.

I merged your last post into your original thread. We do not keep the previous versions available for download.  It is generally best to troubleshoot the issue in the latest version. Thanks for the offer, however. 

On 3/2/2016 at 5:37 PM, Draco1962 said:

Please download and upgrade to the latest GameEx version and report back with updated gameex.ini and log.txt files. If the latest update resolves the issue, let us know as well. Thanks.

Hello Draco,

I have updated GameEx to the newest version (14.44) and am still experiencing the same exact issues with SSF being killed by GameEx.

My updated gameex.ini and log.txt files are attached as requested.

Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

log.txt

GameEx.ini

I do see an issue in the non standard way you are doing things.

As shown in the log the command line it s sending cmd /c twice. All I could expect from this is things to be unpredictable. GameEx already creates and runs a batch file from the command prompt

I would suggest Start "Title" /WAIT instead of cmd.exe /c

1 hour ago, Tom Speirs said:

I do see an issue in the non standard way you are doing things.

As shown in the log the command line it s sending cmd /c twice. All I could expect from this is things to be unpredictable. GameEx already creates and runs a batch file from the command prompt

I would suggest Start "Title" /WAIT instead of cmd.exe /c

Hello Tom,

Thank you very much for replying!

I did as you requested, and receive the same GameEx killing SSF result (ini and log files attached)

I also tested with just running SSF alone (no batch files, DTools, etc), and also received the same GameEx killing SSF result (ini and log files (NoBatch) also attached.

The really strange thing about this issue, is discussed in the other thread by Zyon.

If you first start SSF (without GameEx running), then start GameEx, then close SSF, then try to run SSF from inside GameEx, it works!  But after closing GameEx and restarting, SSF does not work again and is killed. 

I don't know if this will help track things down, but as I've mentioned in this post previously, in older versions of GameEx SSF worked fine.

Thanks again for all of your help!

GameEx.ini

log.txt

GameEx_NoBatch.ini

logNoBatch.txt

1 minute ago, Tom Speirs said:

I wonder if GameEx is somehow killing the process but I had a look and really don't see anything like that in the code. It must be some kind of conflict with GameEx. Maybe display or audio or input. What is the executable filename of ssf?

Hi Tom,

SSF.exe is the executable

Thanks again for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MoggFanatic said:

Hello,

any news on the SSF error?

i would really like to play my brand new saturn collection on my cab :( and would love to avoid setting up yabause.

Not everyone has experienced the issues that Jombee and 1 other user have reported. Have you experienced a problem? If so, please open a separate thread and provide us with your gameex.ini and log.txt files. 

I have just ran into the exact same issue. It has nothing to do with any mounting options.

If Gameex is running and I just launch SSF in the background, it is killed just before the SSF window becomes full-size. That is all it takes, just having GX running is enough to stop SSF from completing it's launch. All rather odd?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, greatflash said:

I have just ran into the exact same issue. It has nothing to do with any mounting options.

If Gameex is running and I just launch SSF in the background, it is killed just before the SSF window becomes full-size. That is all it takes, just having GX running is enough to stop SSF from completing it's launch. All rather odd?

It is, but seems not to affect everyone. Can you submit your gameex.ini and log.txt files?

39 minutes ago, greatflash said:

yes exactly the same here...

log.txt

GameEx.ini

Well it's not happening to me and I use an nVidia card nowadays. I have an AMD laying around here somewhere though, you may be on to something.

Looks like Jombee uses an ArcadeVGA card and anthologee uses an nVidia, so that theory is a bust. :(

Two of you are running low resolutions though... Mogg is at 720x480, and I think Jombee must be at or below that with an ArcadeVGA card. What are the rest of you running at?

I don't think log posts are going to be much use here. Gx does not report an event at all. 

All have to do is,

launch gx and window it

launch ssf

ssf exits

if I don't have gx running, all is fine. The thing I notice about ssf that is different to other emulators is, when opened it appears not to gain focus until it enables it's window view. The first part of the launch is just the title bar (a collapsed view) and gx kills it just before it opens the full window. 

The means it is one of two things (perhaps)

ssf needs a locked resource that gx is using and fails because it cannot gain it (has anything changed here in the last few revisions?)

Gx sees or confuses the process of ssf and kills  it. 

Why this affects some and not others, I have no idea. I use Nvidia (not that it matters) and run Windows 10 ultimate 64bit along with the latest gx build. Though I am sure this has worked before on an earlier revision (though I cannot guarantee it). 

I will ill check later if ssf writes any kind of log. Forgot to check that this morning. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greatflash said:

I don't think log posts are going to be much use here. Gx does not report an event at all. 

All have to do is,

launch gx and window it

launch ssf

ssf exits

if I don't have gx running, all is fine. The thing I notice about ssf that is different to other emulators is, when opened it appears not to gain focus until it enables it's window view. The first part of the launch is just the title bar (a collapsed view) and gx kills it just before it opens the full window. 

The means it is one of two things (perhaps)

ssf needs a locked resource that gx is using and fails because it cannot gain it (has anything changed here in the last few revisions?)

Gx sees or confuses the process of ssf and kills  it. 

Why this affects some and not others, I have no idea. I use Nvidia (not that it matters) and run Windows 10 ultimate 64bit along with the latest gx build. Though I am sure this has worked before on an earlier revision (though I cannot guarantee it). 

I will ill check later if ssf writes any kind of log. Forgot to check that this morning. 

What's interesting is it's such a random bug. Some have it and some don't. Now you say you have win10 and I was thinking it might be a win7 thing because I got it working on a separate win 10 machine with onboard Intel graphics.

What seems to be a common factor is it's something from the newer builds of gx that was added or changed.

Disclaimer:  If this is mentioned elsewhere in, I want to mention that I didn't read this entire thread.

I've been searching on this, and one solution I found was to delete the ssf.ini and settings.ini and start over.  For some the ssf.ini was the problem, but seemingly this method has corrected the problem for some..