All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Problems with SSF and newest version of GameEx

jombee

@anthologie: SSF worked for you before? My thought on your config is that the command line is wrong. You sure you didn't change anything? Most specifically your DTools version?

All that really says to me is it probably is the batch file. It's really the only thing you all have in common. You can prove or disprove it easily.

1. Mount an image outside of GameEx

2. Change the exe for the emulator to SSF.exe instead in the setup wizard

3. See if GameEx runs SSF now

I'm not saying something didn't change somewhere, but it could really be anything, even a Windows update or something.

If it does turn out to be related to the batch file, there are much cleaner and easier ways to do what you're trying to do that don't involve using a batch file. Not that I have anything against batch files, I just don't feel like they're the best solution.

If my theory holds true I would be more than happy to walk you through how to set up SSF with a plug-in to load images in Daemon Tools instead. Trust me, once you do it that way, you'll wonder why you ever used a batch file in the first place.

That is of course unless your batch file is doing something other than mounting the image... Add if that's the case, there's a plug-in for launching things with, before, and after the emulator loads that also work much more seamlessly than the integrated options do because they specifically handle things outside of GameEx, which effectively avoid the process monitoring and removes the dependency on the front-end.

If you don't want to do that, I probably won't be of much help.

Thanks again for your help!

I did as you suggested and mounted an image outside of GameEx

I changed the command in the config to SSF.exe

Exaclty the same thing happens. SSF opens for a second or two, then closes. There is no batch file involved. I have attached my ini and log to this post.

This process also works perfectly outside of GameEx. Mount an image, click SSF.exe and everything works fine.

For some unknown reason with the newest version of GameEx, it loses focus/kills the emulator.

The one thing I definitely do not agree with is that this is a windows problem. When I install an older version of GameEx, everything works again, windows is unchanged and exactly the same for both the older version of GameEx and the current version.

Thanks!

GameEx.ini

log.txt

Nope, you've definitely ruled out the batch file, thank you for being so patient and willing to try things. :)

Could you please provide the files Tom asked for? I'm out of suggestions, maybe he has something.

@anthologie: SSF worked for you before? My thought on your config is that the command line is wrong. You sure you didn't change anything? Most specifically your DTools version?

Yes, it work before 14.41 with this command line.

I have Daemon Tools 4.45, version SPDT 1.79

Same problem as Jombee, GameEx launch SSF and after a few second, it close and it back to GameEX

log.txt

GameEx.ini

@ anthologie - please provide copies of runitgame.bat as Tom has requested. Click here for instructions on how to use this file to troubleshoot and provide the information to us. Thank you.

If an older version works and the latest does not. Please provide \data\runitgame.bat from both versions.

GameEx simply launches that file.

Cheers.
Tom.

Hi all

I just solved a similar issue in another thread (Well the GameEX community helped me solve it)

I had copied my Game EX config files from my Windows 7 setup and moved them to my Windows 10 setup but the difference was that I updated GameEX on the new machine.

At this point SSF stopped working. (I didnt notice for a long time though)

I was using the .bat files setup before but after taking Adultery's advise and moving to the "Virtual Drive loader" Plugin instead & updating to the new version of Deamon tools lite I eventually got it working perfect again.

My suggestion is this.

- Move to the "Virtual drive" Plugin setup and stop using the .bat method (It hurt me to do this too)

- Update to the latest version of Deamon tools lite

- Live happliy ever after

I agree there is possibly something in the new version of GameEX that is stopping SSF working using the old method but no harm can come from having everything fully updated going forward.

My 2 pence

• Like 2

Nope, you've definitely ruled out the batch file, thank you for being so patient and willing to try things. :)

Could you please provide the files Tom asked for? I'm out of suggestions, maybe he has something.

Yeah, I agree.

For the hell of it, I also set up batch files to test run zsnes and magicengine (using DTools to mount the PCE CD's), and both worked perfectly in the newest version of GameEx

Hi all

I just solved a similar issue in another thread (Well the GameEX community helped me solve it)

I had copied my Game EX config files from my Windows 7 setup and moved them to my Windows 10 setup but the difference was that I updated GameEX on the new machine.

At this point SSF stopped working. (I didnt notice for a long time though)

I was using the .bat files setup before but after taking Adultery's advise and moving to the "Virtual Drive loader" Plugin instead & updating to the new version of Deamon tools lite I eventually got it working perfect again.

My suggestion is this.

- Move to the "Virtual drive" Plugin setup and stop using the .bat method (It hurt me to do this too)

- Update to the latest version of Deamon tools lite

- Live happliy ever after

I agree there is possibly something in the new version of GameEX that is stopping SSF working using the old method but no harm can come from having everything fully updated going forward.

My 2 pence

Judging from your previous post, if I was running Windows 10 I wouldn't have an option.

I have no plans to update Windows 7 anytime soon, and we have already seemed to have proved that this problem has nothing to do with Windows 7, DTools or Batch files.

Thanks!

Have you tried running it without the batch files and using the Virtual Drive plugin and the command line from the post he is referencing? Wouldn't hurt and the info may help.

We have established that batch files are not the problem here, as they work perfectly fine with other emulators inside of GameEx. In addition, when SSF is run without batch files, the same exact thing happens when run from inside GameEx.

His issue appears to be a Windows 10/DTools issue, but I would imagine if Tom updates the runitgame.bat file and SSF works again, I would bet the batch files would work with SSF and Windows 10 also.

• 2 weeks later...

If an older version works and the latest does not. Please provide \data\runitgame.bat from both versions.

Cheers.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

I was not allowed to add the .bat files, so attached them rar'ed together

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Hi Tom,

Sorry to bump this post, but have you had a chance to take a look at the 2 files I attached above as requested?

Thanks!

Sorry for the late update but I don't have this issue with the latest DTools, W10 x64 and the latest GameEx which I confirmed worth several games this morning.. If we can't reproduce this we can't fix it.

Sorry for the late update but I don't have this issue with the latest DTools, W10 x64 and the latest GameEx which I confirmed worth several games this morning.. If we can't reproduce this we can't fix it.

I am still waiting for Tom's reply regarding the files he requested that i upload. (which I did above).

Tom Speirs

Administrator

• av-1.png?_r=0
  • Owner
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 12,155 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:53 AM

Cheers.

Tom.

I think it's pretty clear that after all the testing that has been done, that something is different in newest version of GameEx, and it seems to just effect SSF

I am using Windows 7/64 and If you use an older version of GameEx SSF works. If you use the newest version it does not work.

The windows 10/Dtools issues (mentioned in other posts) regarding SSF are unrelated to my issue.

Since you seem to be the expert around here and not me... (My label is obviously cosmetic)

I can't reproduce this on Windows 7 x64. I upgraded my OS FROM Windows 7 x64 TO Windows 10 x64 last week, tested again to try and help you, and still can't reproduce it. Maybe it's important to know that I'm on the LATEST VERSION. So please explain to me (since you clearly think I'm dense) how not being able to reproduce the EXACT SAME ISSUE using the EXACT SAME EMULATOR, the EXACT SAME MOUNTING SOFTWARE, AND the EXACT SAME OS, then UPGRADING THE OS is "unrelated to your issue".

And thanks for the clarification on who Tom is, I wasn't sure since I'm obviously new here.

Why did I even bother coming back to this thread? My fault for trying to help you bro.

@Jombee - I understand your frustration with what is happening. I will ask that you try to understand that we are not only trying to help you as best as we can, but we are limited. Several have attempted to replicate the errors you are encountering to no avail. You say you are running batch files - can you provide copies of them for someone to take a look?

Your choices at present are as follows:

- Revert back to the previous version for now or

- Be patient and let's see if a solution can be found.

I will also ask that you try to measure your responses as you are coming across in quite the condescending manner. That is not going to get you much further if it continues.

Since you seem to be the expert around here and not me... (My label is obviously cosmetic)

I can't reproduce this on Windows 7 x64. I upgraded my OS FROM Windows 7 x64 TO Windows 10 x64 last week, tested again to try and help you, and still can't reproduce it. Maybe it's important to know that I'm on the LATEST VERSION. So please explain to me (since you clearly think I'm dense) how not being able to reproduce the EXACT SAME ISSUE using the EXACT SAME EMULATOR, the EXACT SAME MOUNTING SOFTWARE, AND the EXACT SAME OS, then UPGRADING THE OS is "unrelated to your issue".

And thanks for the clarification on who Tom is, I wasn't sure since I'm obviously new here.

Why did I even bother coming back to this thread? My fault for trying to help you bro.

I do not know why you have an attitude, and clearly I am not an expert regarding anything.

Your last post mentions that you cannot replicate this issue, with is certainly understandable.

Tom, requested that i post 2 files, which I did.

He has not yet replied, and I am still waiting for his reply.

I honestly have no idea why you seem to have an issue with anything i've said.

@Jombee - I understand your frustration with what is happening. I will ask that you try to understand that we are not only trying to help you as best as we can, but we are limited. Several have attempted to replicate the errors you are encountering to no avail. You say you are running batch files - can you provide copies of them for someone to take a look?

Your choices at present are as follows:

- Revert back to the previous version for now or

- Be patient and let's see if a solution can be found.

I will also ask that you try to measure your responses as you are coming across in quite the condescending manner. That is not going to get you much further if it continues.

I love GameEx, and I've paid for it a long time ago, the only real frustration is having to keep hearing that the problem is not GameEx, when every single test has confirmed that it is.

I honestly do not feel that I've replied in a condescending manner, but if my posts have come across that way, I am very sorry, and I really do appreciate all of the help I've received here over the years.

Regarding batch files, I do have examples listed in this post, but it already has been confirmed that this same thing even happens with SSF when run without batch files, and that batch files open and run other emulators just fine

I do agree with you regarding choices and I have reverted back for now.

Hopefully this can be resolved sometime in the future.

Thanks again for your help!

Maybe you should go back and read what you said to me. And posting Tom's profile was as if you were saying I should f..k off. If that wasn't your intent it sure looked like it.

I was trying to help and you came across as if you don't care what anyone says. My bad if your attitude doesn't actually suck even though it completely comes across like it does.

Maybe you should go back and read what you said to me. And posting Tom's profile was as if you were saying I should f..k off. If that wasn't your intent it sure looked like it.

I was trying to help and you came across as if you don't care what anyone says. My bad if your attitude doesn't actually suck even though it completely comes across like it does.

Hi Adultery,

It was definitely not my intent to tell you to f..k off. I was just trying to highlight Tom's post requesting the files that I posted, and quoting it was not working so I copied and pasted his request into the post.

I do honestly appreciate your's (and everyone's) help, and if I have offended you in any way, I sincerely apologize.

As I noted in the Holidays news, this will be a chaotic time for everyone and, knowing Tom as I do, he is extremely busy with everything GameEx, PinballX, and real life outside of the forums.

If there's anything to be found to solve this, it will be found. It will take more time than may be available at present so hang in there.

Sorry for the delay. As is almost always the case if I don't answer with a solution I simply don't have a solution to offer. Not that I don't have time.

If the configuration is the same I really have no idea why an older GameEx works. I also obviously don't have all your roms and setup so its hard for me to figure out why something is up with the latest version. They are launching the same so my guess is its a rogue configuration option that is taking effect in the latest. I would have expected lots of issues reported about launching if its something major in the code.

Please clarify exactly what version of GameEx works and I will look for changes in the SVN.

Cheers.

Tom.

Sorry for the delay. As is almost always the case if I don't answer with a solution I simply don't have a solution to offer. Not that I don't have time.

If the configuration is the same I really have no idea why an older GameEx works. I also obviously don't have all your roms and setup so its hard for me to figure out why something is up with the latest version. They are launching the same so my guess is its a rogue configuration option that is taking effect in the latest. I would have expected lots of issues reported about launching if its something major in the code.

Please clarify exactly what version of GameEx works and I will look for changes in the SVN.

Cheers.

Tom.

Hello Tom,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I only update my Arcade Cab once every year or so.

The version of GameEx that SSF works is 13.08

If you can provide me (or point me in the right direction), I would be happy to test each version going backwards to determine exactly which version this issue began.

i already know this issue is present in the last 2 GameEx releases.

From what it appears from other people posting regarding this problem with SSF, it would seem to be one of the most recent versions.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hello Tom,

The last 2 versions of GameEx (14.42 & 14.43) still kills the emulator SSF regardless of how you launch it in Windows 7 as detailed in this post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

If you have upgraded to the latest version, please submit updated copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files from when the error occured. Helps to eliminate second guessing from those attempting to help you. Thanks!