All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] MAME Video preview in main menu?

r3b0rn

Ok,

Please forgive this if this is addressed somewhere else as i think it probably is. I looked for a while in the forums and could not find exactly what i was looking for. I have used GAMEEX for a year or so now and love it! I have 20 or so emulators setup and working.

I have in the past setup MAME as an emulator in custom menu options. This has allowed me to have video previews from the main menu selection. If i set it up as " MAME" i am unable to get video previews from the main menu. Of course when i go into the MAME menu i see all the video previews in the sub menus (like ALL Mame Games, etc.). Is there a way to make the videos show in the main menu also? Am i just missing a check box somewhere?

Thanks and again sorry if this is already been addressed!

Hi r3born, and Welcome to the GameEx forums!

Yes MAME videos should display on every menu level, so it's probably just a setting that was inadvertently tweaked. Is this a new GameEx installation, or did you upgrade OS on an existing installation (like jumping on Windows 10 for instance)? Is it just the main menu that isn't displaying videos (or put another way do the videos display when your browsing the game list)? Is the problem strictly relegated to MAME or is it happening for all emulators?

When or if you have a moment it would probably be helpful to take a look at your GameEx.ini and your log.txt files so we can see if there are issues with your settings. or whether there are other factors contributing to the issue. Please refer to the GameEx: How to Ask For Help thread for details on how to access those files. Also please take the opportunity to read through that thread in its entirety as it's chalk full of good troubleshooting advice. Thanks man!

Ok. I have attached those files. It is an existing installation, and all the emulators have video previews working. My Mame Videos are at C:\Assets\MAME\Snaps. The videos do not show at the main menu for MAME but when i go into that option, underneath is ALL Mame Games, CPS games, etc and all the videos show there.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

I guess i should probably clarify a little bit... my theme is a modified version of confluenceport. It has 2 changeable windows when selecting a menu item on the left. The top one displays the theme configured logo file for the emulator and the bottom one displays a random video from the configured video path in the settings. This works for all emulators except for MAME. If i add a video into the logos folder as previously posted it just replaces the system pic on the top and the bottom one remains blank.

Does that make sense?

I think i know what you are getting at here, tell me if i am wrong ^_^ but seriously i won't bite.

When you scroll the menu, a random vid will play correct? So if you you scroll over SNES you might get Street Fighter, if you scroll over Genesis you might get a sonic vid, if scrolling over Gameboy you might get Tetris, but when scrolling over MAME in that same menu you are not getting any vids playing. Is that about right?

• Like 1

The same behavior works when inside the mame menu. Every sub menu under mame plays a random mame video.

This is actually normal behavior because of how the MAME module has evolved over many years within GameEx.

The "regular" emulators in GameEx have one level or tier of info, it's Emulator> Gamelist> Vids.

But MAME has two (at least): MAME> MAME Categories> Gamelist> Vids.

Because of this it doesn't act in the same way as regular emulators (which is why no vid is displayed in the menu).

However, you can get around this! You can force a vid to be displayed in the menu, but it won't be random. You can make it seem random however by joining/splicing different vid snaps together.

All you have to do is make a vid of the MAME games you want to appear on the main menu, then, name it MAME.mp4, or whatever your video format is. So if it is a .FLV you should name it "MAME.flv", if it's an .AVI then name it "MAME.avi" etc.

Then you need to place it in the right location. It helps to know which Theme you are using at this point! Once you do, go here:

...\GameEx\THEMES\<the theme you are using>\MEDIA\LOGOS

Put your vid in this folder/directory and you now have a working MAME vid in your menu :)

• Like 1