All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Karaoke previewing but not loading

don_bruce

I hate for my first post here to be a help request, but this problem has got me stumped.

I'm currently running Gameex Version 14.10, and have been trying to get the karaoke feature working for a week now. I've got the paths correct, and the karaoke files show up in the karaoke menu. The lyrics show up in the preview pane when highlighting songs, yet when I click the play song button, Gameex fades out and then returns to the song select screen. Looking in the logs, I noticed this nasty message:

11:56:54.8 10/5/2015: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
11:56:54.8 10/5/2015: at DirectShowLib.IFilterGraph2.RenderFile(String lpcwstrFile, String lpcwstrPlayList)
11:56:54.8 10/5/2015: at bf.b(String A_0)
11:56:55.3 10/5/2015: Unable to open video
I currently have VLC installed, and that plays the karaoke files just fine. I've tried downgrading Gameex to 13.32, and changing my theme back to the default one, both to no avail. I'm positive this error is due to the handling of the cdg files, as attempting to play a cdg without a corresponding mp3 throws the same error. Log and config are attached.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

• Like 1

Thank-ee stigzler! I frequent the Minecraft forums, and can safely say that the Gameex forums are a welcome change!

Unfortunately, updating to 14.40 and installing the LAV filters didn't fix the problem. In fact, the karaoke lyrics no longer preview in the song selection screen anymore. I'm attaching the new log, but from what I can tell I'm still getting the same error. Interestingly, the auto-updater didn't detect that the 14.40 version was out; I had to install the version manually.

log.txt

I'm taking your post count and GameEx version to indicate this is something you've only recently using, and so this isn't something that was working and stopped, but instead, never worked. Do you have .net framework 2.0 installed?

If so:

Based on write to protected memory messages contained in your log ONLY, it seems this would be worth a read. Should this be the case in your particular situation, the hotfix may be worth a try.

• Like 1

You assumed correctly on the first two points; I've only used Gameex for a month and the karaoke has never worked. As to .Net Framework, I only have version 4.5 installed. Would this make a difference, or does 4.5 pull in 2.0 capabilities?

Incidentally, regular videos work just fine; It's only karaoke videos that give me the trouble.

This may seem like an obvious question, but you do have the Karaoke modules installed, right? If not you can install form the Setup Wizard.

Also you mentioned using VLC, as an external Player? This could also have an impact. Not saying it would, but if i were to use the Karaoke function, i would use the internal function first. That's just my opinion though and i have zero experience in this matter :P

DazzleHP:

I can confirm the karaoke modules are installed. I made sure to check the box during the 14.40 installation, and Karaoke for DirectX shows up in my Programs and Features menu. Gameex is set to use the internal player; I just used VLC outside of Gameex to verify that the file I was wanting to play wasn't corrupt.

tthurman:

I gather from that article that most apps that depend on CLR 2.0 work okay on versions 4.0 and above, but Gameex might be one of those that doesn't. Either way, .Net 3.5 is enabled in the Features menu per the installation guide, so Gameex should be using that version if it needs to. I could always uninstall 4.5 to force a 3.5 usage, but I know that's going to cause havoc on my computer.

Hey don_bruce - I think that the problem may be that your files are located under C:\Users\chris\Desktop\Karaoke\ which is a protected path on your drive. Can you try moving your Karaoke folder and contents to C:\ and edit the path via Setup Wizard to c:\Karaoke, save the change, then report back if this works and, if not, provide a fresh copy of your log.txt and gameex.ini files? Thanks!

No dice when moving the files. New log and .ini attached.

One thing to note: I can confirm that installing the LAV filters causes the Karoke video previews to stop working. It's also the source of the errors in the log that look like this:

10:52:54.8 10/8/2015: Open: Failed Opening Video: c:\karaoke\alabama - why lady why [karaoke].cdg

Don't know if that makes any difference or not.

log.txt

GameEx.ini

Just out of curiousity, have you tried renaming one of your file pairs? Let's use alabama - why lady why [karaoke].cdg as an example. Try renaming it alabama - why lady why.cdg (and the corresponding alabama - why lady why [karaoke].mp3 to alabama - why lady why.mp3) and see if that makes a difference. It is possible the karaoke player for GameEx doesn't like the [ ] in the filename. I have no way to test at the moment.

Draco, that post did it! Once I checked "use microsoft video mixing renderer 9" in the DirectX control panel the videos started playing. This works even though I don't have either the LAV filters or shark007 codecs installed.

I'm marking this as solved, and am taking away a valuable lesson about un-checked check boxes.

• Like 1