All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Problem with video snaps? My computer runs everything full but wont show snaps :(

aldub516

Hey all. Back at it with a new computer. Some guy gave me a pretty old ass computer, but to my surprise and little expertise on actual pc builds, this thing runs everything from mame, daphne, model 2, etc flawlessly. It originally had a full hyperspin set up on it, which also ran perfectly. All the wheels, video snaps etc worked great. Naturally i had to convert my friend to the gameex world cuz ftw. So im all set up running nice, but it seems that whenever i set mame, or any emulator for that matter to show video snaps, it not only wont show anything in the snap area, but it wont show any art. I use the mame invaders theme, which shows your choice of a snapshot and a marquee on the other side. So video snaps is making it so no art shows. I know the pc can handle it as it handles everything else great. Im hoping theres some weird little setting that you geniuses know about such as threading/ other terms i dont understand lol. I will include my log and my ini. Thank you for any advice

THE PC IS A

DELL DIMENSION DIME521

AM 64 PROCESSOR

3200+

2.00 GHZ, 960 MB OF RAM

Im going to throw some ram in it, but as i said, if it can run hyperspin id hope it would run these.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

I am wondering if it might actually be a codecs issue. Did you download and install the LAV filters downloadable from the link at pinballx.net?

Also your log.txt file shows version 14.04. I recommend installing 14.40 to take advantage of being able to use the LAV filters as opposed to Shark007 codecs.

The directories are definitely not the issue I've gone over them over and over, also the regular snaps and everything else works when I don't enable the video snaps. I'll look into the codecs, but I'd like to refrain from updating everything. I really just wanna be done and it works perfectly as it is.. Minus this one snap issue

Well to effectively troubleshoot you will need to be at the latest version and, with the latest you can install LAV which will negate some of the issues you may encounter with Shark007. 14.04 is way out of date.

Also I vowed to not take forever it getting this one up and running. It's an old pc with windows xp. The snaps is the only problem which I'm sure the codecs will fix. Other than that I have no reason to upgrade. I can just imagine something stops working and want to shoot myself in the face. Thank you so much for the help. It's been awhile since I've harassed you all for my pedestal build

Your choice regarding the upgrade, but keep in mind that if there are any other issues, you will be advised to upgrade as we can't troubleshoot deprecated versions. The latest utilizes as noted a smaller codec footprint for video display (not to mention lack of the chance that additional adware being installed along with the codec). There have been many other fixes that handle how GameEx interacts with the latest MAME/MESS changes.

I'm still running .149 so no worries about the new mame versions. Once the snaps work when I get home, the machine shouldn't run into any other problems. It won't be connected to the Internet and nothing will ever be done to it besides play. My personal cab is running up to date, and my new build will for sure be utilizing the new as well there's just no need to update this old pc now that it's running. If it ain't broke, don't fix it applies here big time. Super long story short a guy gave me a half finished control panel and his old computer and ask me to just finish everything up and get it up and running. He is paying me for my time and labor in the control panel but there is no benefit to going anymore out of my way besides getting it up and running with all the games which it is now doing perfectly fine. I guess for future I can now remember when upgrading old builds to make sure I have the codecs

Hey all.. 4 wisdom teeth getting ripped out took me out of the game for a few days but im back.. The codecs certainly did the trick. My console emus work great, although the names seem to be a mess and a lot of snaps dont work because of it, but thats another mess.. Mame is also displaying the video snaps, but i have erratic behaviour. Im going to chalk it up to the pc having such low specs.. Im gonna have the dude drop some ram in it when i give it to him. sometimes the videos take a lot of time to load, or it might even freeze for a few seconds if i pick a game that doesnt have a snap. One time it just shows regular snaps. My only question is, why did it run hyperspin fine with videos? i included my ini and such. Is there anything you guys see that can maybe speed me up a bit? or am i just lucky to be running it with so little ram and such? Otherwise, for all intents, this is resolved

GameEx.ini

log.txt