All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] GameEx Online ratings

Gildahl

I'm trying to understand how the new(ish) rating system works...I'm not quite sure its working right for me. I'm using the latest version of GameEx.

I have an online account. In "My Page" (on the web), I can see the games I've recently played so I know GameEx must be talking to my account ok. I can change the ratings in the web page, and they stick.

Now here's the issue...

Next to MAME games, I see a rating in the game's description, like 7/10. In most cases, this value does not match what I entered into the web page. In some cases it does. I've also added some ratings in for console games, and a few of these show up in GameEx, but not all. These inconsistencies remain even after leaving GameEx running for a long time.

Furthermore, if I choose "Rate this game" inside of GameEx and select a new rating, I never see a change to the value in either GameEx or on the Web.

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something.

Maybe I misunderstand how this works then? If I change a rating in the web interface, I see the rating I picked...but if I am in GameEx, the rating is actually an average of all users? Is that correct? I was thinking that the rating was initially a group average but would then be changed to my own rating once I entered one.

Hmmm. Crowd ratings are an interesting curiosity, but not particularly useful to me. Can I change this to reflect my own ratings (or better yet, to show both separately)? The "killer" feature that I've been long hoping for is to personally rate the games and then be able to filter lists based on my personal ratings. This would be particularly useful in managing large console game lists.

Just wanted to update you on this topic. There was a small bug in GameEx (basically an IF NOT instead of just an IF) which was stopping the online ratings taking affect when done within the front end. I've fixed this and am uploading a new version now (same version number).

Cheers.

Tom.

• Like 2

Yup. I just confirmed that with the newest version ratings now appear to work as I had originally thought they should. That is, when I select a rating in GameEx, it displays *my rating* in the software. So these ratings are not "crowd" ratings after all. Cool.

Playing with this today also let me refine another bug that I reported. If I select a game from the Favorites list, then Rate the game within GameEx, when I attempt to use the back key to return back to the Favorites list it frequently goes to the All Mame Games list instead of the Favorites list. This doesn't happen all the time, but most of the time. I know I'm supposed to post my ini files...I'll try to do that when I can, but I suspect it should be pretty easy to duplicate.

Anyway, big thanks for the fix. (...and if you could implement a ratings-based game list filter to go along with this I would be a super happy camper!)

Yup. I just confirmed that with the newest version ratings now appear to work as I had originally thought they should. That is, when I select a rating in GameEx, it displays *my rating* in the software. So these ratings are not "crowd" ratings after all. Cool.

Playing with this today also let me refine another bug that I reported. If I select a game from the Favorites list, then Rate the game within GameEx, when I attempt to use the back key to return back to the Favorites list it frequently goes to the All Mame Games list instead of the Favorites list. This doesn't happen all the time, but most of the time. I know I'm supposed to post my ini files...I'll try to do that when I can, but I suspect it should be pretty easy to duplicate.

Anyway, big thanks for the fix. (...and if you could implement a ratings-based game list filter to go along with this I would be a super happy camper!)

Maybe related with this issue?? -->> http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/16792-new-list-issue/