All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Supermodel/Model 3 setup

disco74

Hi guys

First time poster so please be gentle with me:)

I have been trying to get Supermodel/Model 3 emulator to work with GameEx.

I have it in the 'Emulated Games' list but when I select it there are none of my games showing just 'no games found' displayed.

I can run it fine outside of GameEx

Please could someone share with me how they got it to work?

model 3.ini.txt

Hi disco74 and Welcome!

I have a working Supermodel config at home that may prove to be of some assistance, but that part typically comes in handy when you can see your ROMs but they aren't launching for whatever reason. If you can't see your game list at all, that's usually indicative of a configuration problem. Have you double checked that your ROMs really and truly are located in D:\Sega Model 3\roms? Have you double checked that you've not inadvertently indicated the presence of non-existent a MAP file? (I think you will eventually want to use a map file in order to make the ROM names for this system readable IIRC). Have you checked that you haven't accidentally set your ROM filter to filter the contents of the directory?

There could be a couple of different things happening here. When you have a minute would you mind uploading a copy of your full GameEx.ini, along with a copy of your log? This will help to give us a better picture of what's happening and hopefully help to narrow down the possible causes. Thanks man!

Yup.. if the emulator runs ok outside of GameEx, but doesn't list anything IN GameEx, it's typically a path issue. Try adding quotation marks around your path if it has spaces in it. Everybody seems to forget that part. I could also be a rom filter issue, leave it blank to list everything (ie; *.* in dos terms). If leaving it blank displays things you don't want (like ini files, or configs, or docs, etc) you can then figure out what your rom files' extensions are and plug them in later. The first part is to get it to display ANYTHING. Check your paths, check for quotes, and leave the filter blank.

Hi disco74 and Welcome!

I have a working Supermodel config at home that may prove to be of some assistance, but that part typically comes in handy when you can see your ROMs but they aren't launching for whatever reason. If you can't see your game list at all, that's usually indicative of a configuration problem. Have you double checked that your ROMs really and truly are located in D:\Sega Model 3\roms? Have you double checked that you've not inadvertently indicated the presence of non-existent a MAP file? (I think you will eventually want to use a map file in order to make the ROM names for this system readable IIRC). Have you checked that you haven't accidentally set your ROM filter to filter the contents of the directory?

There could be a couple of different things happening here. When you have a minute would you mind uploading a copy of your full GameEx.ini, along with a copy of your log? This will help to give us a better picture of what's happening and hopefully help to narrow down the possible causes. Thanks man!

Defo pointing to the correct file where the roms are situated. Unfortunately I know nothing about MAP files so I guess I dont have one! How do I get one? Sorry for being a noob!!!

Yup.. if the emulator runs ok outside of GameEx, but doesn't list anything IN GameEx, it's typically a path issue. Try adding quotation marks around your path if it has spaces in it. Everybody seems to forget that part. I could also be a rom filter issue, leave it blank to list everything (ie; *.* in dos terms). If leaving it blank displays things you don't want (like ini files, or configs, or docs, etc) you can then figure out what your rom files' extensions are and plug them in later. The first part is to get it to display ANYTHING. Check your paths, check for quotes, and leave the filter blank.

I have the command line Supermodel.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]".zip -res=800,600 -fullscreen. Does that look right?

Take out the .zip part. GameEx will automatically use the extension. As long as you have nothing else in your ROM path, that should be all you need to configure. If you have other stuff in there, use the ROM filter line of the wizard to add *.zip

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about using a map file until we can verify that GameEx is able to find your ROMs. Just like the command line, it's won't do you much good until that time. When you have a moment please post the requested files, so we can take a look at your settings and log.

Sorry for the delay disco74. I've looked at your settings a few times, and I honestly can't see anything wrong with them. The only aspect I can think of is that either GameEx is pointed at the wrong directory (either due to a spelling error, or configuration issue), or the directory is correct something external is preventing GameEx from accessing it.

In the case of the former it should be pretty easy to suss out. Simply copy and paste your rom path from the Setup Wizard into Windows Explorer. Try that and see what happens.

If it's a permissions issue you may need to check the properties of the directory to see whether it has been set with elevated security or something.

OK had a bit of a fiddle this morning(oh err) and managed to get the rooms showing. Had to put *.zip in the rom filter. thanks for your help guys. Only thing now is the games are shown as there file name e.g scud race shows as scudp? any way to change this to the proper names?

Yup! That's where the map files come in. They're easy to create, or you can use mine. Basically it's a text file, named "whatever.map". The contents include a rom name, pipe, then the game name, each on it's own line.

bass.zip|Sega Bass Fishingdaytona2.zip|Daytona USA 2 Battle on the Edgedayto2pe.zip|Daytona USA 2 Power Editiondirtdvls.zip|Dirt Devilsdirtdvlsa.zip|Dirt Devils (Alt.)eca.zip|Emergency Call Ambulanceecax.zip|Emergency Call Ambulance (Export)fvipers2.zip|Fighting Vipers 2getbass.zip|Get Bassharley.zip|Harley-Davidson & L.A. Ridersharleyb.zip|Harley-Davidson & L.A. Riders (Revision B)lamachin.zip|L.A. Machinegunslemans24.zip|Le Mans 24lostwsga.zip|The Lost Worldmagtruck.zip|Magical Truck Adventureoceanhun.zip|The Ocean Hunterscud.zip|Scud Race (Australia)scuda.zip|Scud Race (Export)scudj.zip|Scud Race (Japan)scudp.zip|Scud Race Plusskichamp.zip|Ski Champspikeofe.zip|Spikeout Final Editionspikeout.zip|Spikeoutsrally2.zip|Sega Rally 2srally2x.zip|Sega Rally 2 DXswtrilgy.zip|Star Wars Trilogy (Revision A)swtrilgya.zip|Star Wars Trilogyvf3.zip|Virtua Fighter 3vf3a.zip|Virtua Fighter 3 (Revision A)vf3tb.zip|Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battlevon2.zip|Virtual On: Oratorio Tangramvon254g.zip|Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram (Version 5.4g)vs2.zip|Virtua Striker 2 (Step 2.0)vs215.zip|Virtua Striker 2 (Step 1.5)vs298.zip|Virtua Striker 2 '98 (Step 2.0)vs29815.zip|Virtua Striker 2 '98 (Step 1.5)vs299.zip|Virtua Striker 2 '99vs299a.zip|Virtua Striker 2 '99 (Revision A)vs299b.zip|Virtua Striker 2 '99 (Revision B)vs2v991.zip|Virtua Striker 2 '99.1

When you go to reconfigure GameEx, you still want your ROM path set, but remove the filter. Then on the line for Map file, just point to the map and you're good!

• Like 2