All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED]PinballX keeps locking up system, requiring a hard boot to unlock it

jmine

All, I am looking for some help solving a problem with PinballX locking up in my cabinet. I have 16 tables loaded all are Visual Pinball. All others are set to Enabled=NO. I can load any game and play it with no problems from the editor directly. I can even let the system sit in a game for an hour with no problems. This is a new build, I have not seen the PC show any issues except in PinballX. I have tried turning off attract mode, (it is on now) as this is where I first noticed the issue, ( it would lock up cycling between games) but even with it off if I leave the system sitting on a selection (any selection) it will lock up solid after a few minutes requiring a hard boot. I am starting the application as administrator and have tested in compatibility XP Service Pack 3, and NT 4.0 Service Pack 5, I even tried Windows 7,but no change in the problem. A 1920X1080 Monitor is connected by HDMI to the HD Graphcs 4600, and a 3840X2160 42" 4K HDTV is connected to the GTX 760 via HDMI. As a note the operating system sees the GTX 760 as Monitor 2, and the HD Graphics as Monitor 1. My log file is below:

18:49:20.1 7/4/2015: PinballX - Version 2.02

18:49:20.2 7/4/2015: Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 64-bit (15.9GB)

18:49:20.2 7/4/2015: Loading Settings

18:49:20.2 7/4/2015: Initialize Component

18:49:20.2 7/4/2015: Initialize Display

18:49:21.3 7/4/2015: Loading PlugIns

18:49:21.8 7/4/2015: Created DirectX BackGlass Window

18:49:21.9 7/4/2015: Hiding Cursor

18:49:21.9 7/4/2015: Hiding Taskbar

18:49:21.9 7/4/2015: CPU: Intel® Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz

18:49:21.9 7/4/2015: GPU 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

18:49:21.9 7/4/2015: GPU 2: Intel® HD Graphics 4600

18:49:21.9 7/4/2015: Displays: 2

18:49:21.9 7/4/2015: Load Game List

18:49:22.0 7/4/2015: Loading Database: Visual Pinball

18:49:22.0 7/4/2015: Finding and matching artwork and videos

18:49:22.0 7/4/2015: Loading Game Statistics and Scores

18:49:22.8 7/4/2015: Main display running full screen windowed.

18:49:22.9 7/4/2015: Loading Surfaces

18:49:23.2 7/4/2015: Finished Loading Surfaces

18:49:23.2 7/4/2015: Initialize Audio

18:49:23.2 7/4/2015: Set Keyboard Controls

18:49:23.2 7/4/2015: Initialize Joystick

18:49:23.2 7/4/2015: No Joysticks Attached

18:49:23.2 7/4/2015: Started

I have made all the Windows updates, and Nvidia driver updates to the system. I have printed and read PinballX_S2F_Documentation rev 1.3, and have spent hours scanning and reading the forums, but so far I am finding nothing that will help solve this. I did install Shark Codecs as recommended hoping it would help, but system still locks up every time after 5 or 10 minutes. I have even been in a game playing and on exit found Pinball X unresponsive.

Any help would be appreciated.

My ini file:

[Display]
Monitor=1
rotate=270
Windowed=False
WindowWidth=480
WindowHeight=720
WindowX=0
WindowY=65
PlayFieldBrightness=230
WheelTextColor=ffffffff
WheelTextOutlineColor=ff000000
InfoTextColor=ffffffff
InfoTextOutlineColor=ff000000
FilterTextColor=ffffffff
FilterTextOutlineColor=ff000000
MenuColor=ffffa500
[backGlass]
monitor=0
x=0
y=0
width=1920
height=1080
UseB2S=True
[DMD]
Enabled=False
monitor=2
x=0
y=0
width=900
height=300
UsePinMAME=False
HidePinMAME=True
[FileSystem]
EnableFileMatching=True
[interface]
DesktopModeEnabled=False
EnableAdditionalDetail=True
ShowSystem=True
ShowRatings=True
[Audio]
StreamVolume=90
SampleVolume=90
PlaySoundInVideos=True
[startup]
playsound=True
playvideo=False
StartWithWindows=No
[KeyCodes]
quit=27
left=37
right=39
select=13
rotate=82
pageleft=33
pageright=34
exitemulator=27
ingame=80
screenshot=83
screenshotbackglass=66
instructions=73
volumedown=109
volumeup=107
[JoyCodes]
quit=10
left=0
right=1
select=2
rotate=3
pageleft=4
pageright=5
exitemulator=6
ingame=13
instructions=14
[Text]
Line1=Free Play
Line2=Press Start
[FuturePinball]
Enabled=False
WorkingPath=h:\-PINBALL-\-FUTURE PINBALL-
TablePath=h:\-PINBALL-\-FUTURE PINBALL-\Tables
Executable=Future Pinball.exe
Parameters=/open "[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]" /play /exit /arcaderender
LaunchBeforeEnabled=false
LaunchBeforeWorkingPath=
LaunchBeforeExecutable=notepad.exe
LaunchBeforeHideWindow=True
LaunchBeforeWaitForExit=True
LaunchAfterEnabled=False
LaunchAfterWorkingPath=
LaunchAfterExecutable=notepad.exe
LaunchAfterHideWindow=False
LaunchAfterWaitForExit=True
MouseClickFocus=True
[VisualPinball]
Enabled=True
WorkingPath=C:\Pinball\Visual Pinball
TablePath=C:\Pinball\Visual Pinball\Tables
Executable=VPinball991.exe
Parameters=/play -"[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]"
LaunchBeforeEnabled=false
LaunchBeforeWorkingPath=
LaunchBeforeExecutable=notepad.exe
LaunchBeforeHideWindow=True
LaunchBeforeWaitForExit=True
LaunchAfterEnabled=False
LaunchAfterWorkingPath=
LaunchAfterExecutable=notepad.exe
LaunchAfterHideWindow=False
LaunchAfterWaitForExit=True
[ExitScreen]
Enabled=True
EnableExit=True
EnableShutdown=True
[startupProgram]
Enabled=false
WorkingPath=
Executable=notepad.exe
Paramaters=
HideWindow=true
WaitForExit=false
[ExitProgram]
Enabled=false
WorkingPath=
Executable=notepad.exe
Paramaters=
HideWindow=False
WaitForExit=
[AttractMode]
Enabled=True
Timer=3
ShowFor=15
MuteAudio=False
[system_1]
Name=MAME
Enabled=False
WorkingPath=C:\- EMULATORS -\- MAME -
TablePath=C:\
Executable=mamep64.exe
Parameters=[TABLEFILE]
SystemType=0
[AutoExit]
Enabled=False
Minutes=10
[Login]
Enabled=True
UseLiteMedia=False
[PinballFX2]
Enabled=False
WorkingPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
Executable=steam.exe
Parameters=-applaunch 226980
Process=Pinball FX2.exe
WaitFor=20
[internal]
lastwheelcachematchsize=-1123
lastselected=The Simpsons Pinball Party (Stern 2003)TSPP_VP99VisualPinball
filter_year=
filter_company=
filter_custom=
filtername=Tables
[setupWizard]
EmuPath1=C:\Emulators
AssetPath1=C:\Assets
RomPath1=C:\Roms
DefaultPathPrompt=True
DownloadDatabasePrompt=True
DownloadEmulatorPrompt=True
WizardMode=1
CustomArray=
SearchArray=
SavePosition=False
SectionIndex=11
SearchText=
EmulatorIndex=0
EmulatorGroupIndex=0
DaphneIndex=0
HTMLAppsIndex=0
ExternalAppsIndex=0
RadioStationsIndex=0
NewsFeedsIndex=0
MappedDrivesIndex=0
SystemIndex=0
ShowPanel=True
FontSize=1
WindowState=0
WindowSize=650,478
WindowLocation=-1620,145
[GameListManager]
onlinemode=true

Yes, .Net is installed. The B2S server is installed and all 16 games I have installed run perfectly from the editor with active back glass. Today I also ran the Intel Stress Test on the CPU and Memory for 120 min with no errors, I then loaded the EVGA Stress test for the GPU and ran that for an hour with no problems. I then load PinballX and within a few minutes the system is locked up and needs to be restarted... I'm at a loss for what to try next.

The Monitor 0 settings in the pinballx.ini seem a bit off for your playfield display at 480x720. Can you try changing this to 1080x1920 and report back if this resolves the issue or, if not, provide a new log.txt file? Thanks.

Well I think I know why PinballX is locking up the machine, but not sure how to fix it.

I went and created two temp directories, Backglass Videos Temp and Playfield Videos Temp. I moved all of the f4v videos out of the video folders and into the temp folders, forcing PinballX to only use the png images. The system now appears to be stable!

So it would appear that one or more of the f4v videos is the problem. I sure would hate to not have the videos, they added so much to the cabinet. Has anyone else found this issue, and if so what was the fix?

I'll let it run for the day cycling the 16 games every 15 seconds and update this tonight with the results, but so far looking good!

The more I look at this the more confused I get. Is Monitor 1 Display 1? I see where I can adjust the DMD and Backglass display settings in Pinball X at the bottom of Display Settings. But I do not see where to adjust the settings for the playfield Monitor. I have Main Display selected as Display 2 (I assume this is the playfield)... Also how can I tell what displays PinballX is considering Display 1, 2, 3, etc? Is it getting the playfield settings from the Visual Pinball properties setting, as that is set for 3840X2160 (Windowed Full Screen)? Thanks

Monitor 0 = OS monitor 1 (Playfield)

Monitor 1 = OS monitor 2 (Backglass)

You may need to switch the monitor order in your OS so that the accurately match with this configuration.

Thanks. I will adjust. I left the system on in the attract mode for five hours changing every 15 seconds, and all was fine.

I think I may have something else going on with the system playing these f4v videos. I just loaded a new game Apollo 13, and thought I would try the f4v playfield, started Pinball X and after two minutes sitting on the game in the menu the machine locked up tight!!

After more testing I am now finding any f4v in the backglass or playfield will lock up the system after a few minutes?? The backglass is on an Intel 4600 Graphics (Built into Motherboard) and the Playfield is on a EVGA Nvidia GTX760. Has anyone else seen anything like this before?

Thanks, John

Tom, Thanks. I uninstalled Shark 32 and 64 bit versions. Downloaded the latest version and reinstalled both. Selected the Suggested settings tic box on both and rebooted the system. Loaded up Pinball X with one of the 23 installed tables using a f4v playfield and backbox, after just a few minutes sitting on that table in the menu the system locked up tight, requiring a power off restart! Any ideas what else I can try?

Draco, I just uninstalled the Shark Codecs again, this time 64 bit first than 32 bit. After reboot (before reinstalling Shark) I ran Pinball X and went to the game with the f4v videos installed. They still display just fine even without the codec pack installed, but as before the system locks solid after a few minutes. I reinstalled the Shark Codecs again selected the suggested settings tic box on both and rebooted the system. Ran Pinball X and went to the table with the f4v videos and it again locks up solid! I tried double clicking on a few of the f4v files and they run in windows media player full screen and never lock up the system, just when they run from Pinball X. I think it may have something to do with when the end of the video is reached and it goes to start the loop, but just guessing. It is now very predictable and recreate-able every time. Any thoughts? Thanks. John

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that the 32 bit install followed by the 64 bit install was for the older releases. The new release is either standard or advanced, with 32 and 64 bit variants included in each. All you need are the standard release for PBX. Codecs are one of them things that having a bunch of isn't necessarily a good thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that the 32 bit install followed by the 64 bit install was for the older releases. The new release is either standard or advanced, with 32 and 64 bit variants included in each. All you need are the standard release for PBX. Codecs are one of them things that having a bunch of isn't necessarily a good thing.

You are correct on both. The 32-bit is all that is required.

Draco & tthurman, thanks for the support. I removed the Codecs and re-installed only the 32bit version, however the problem is still there. If I sit on a table (Example I am using is Time Machine) in the PinballX menu with the f4v files loaded, the system will lock up in less than two minutes! In fact even with the codec pack totally removed the f4v files still run in PBX, but the machine locks up as it is doing with the Shark Codecs installed, so I'm thinking the problem is not the codecs. In fact the f4v files play fine in Windows media player (full screen) with no lock ups. Can you think of anything else I can try?

Some ideas

Your connected to your TV via a HDMI 1.4 connection I assume? I don't think your GPU supports HDMI 2.0, but I've been wrong before. Have you tried setting your resolution to 1080P just to see if it still locks up?

Have you gone to Intel's site, and updated to the latest driver for your integrated graphics?

Have you tired an over the top install of PBX? You should be able to do this in place, that's how the updates work anyway, but naturally it's never a bad idea to have a backup.

tthurman, So this is what I did today so far attempting to fix this issue:

I remapped my monitors in the BIOS so the GTX760 is the primary "Display 0" and the Intel 4600 is Display 1. So now in PBX Display 1 is the playfield and Display 2 is the backglass.

I tested the system with the playfield HDMI at 1080p, but still locks up.

I downloaded and installed the latest Intel graphics drivers as well as the EVGA Geforce drivers, I also updated the chipset drivers while I was at it. Also made a backup and re-installed PBX. But it continued to lock up!

Well, I got lucky... the last time it locked up it through a BSOD... I did a Blue Screen Dump and was able to determine the CPU cache may be the problem. One suggested fix I found was to turn off the CPU turbo mode. I did this and lo and behold, it seems to be stable with the f4v files running. At least it was OK the last four times I tested it! I'm going to change this to solved unless something changes,

Thank you to all who jumped in with advice, it is appreciated.

• Like 2

That's awesome to hear that you resolved the issue jmine, and thanks for sharing your resolution! Just out of curiosity, is your processor overclocked? In an overclocked setup, you might have a stable setup under normal operating circumstances which suddenly becomes unstable once the turbo function kicks in. Depending on cooling efficiency the turbo function can also cause a sudden heat spike which can potentially set off alarms and/or cause additional instability.

Since you've already addressed your issue, this is mostly for the sake of curiosity more than anything.

• Like 1

nullPointer, no not overclocked. it is a EVGA LGA1150 Intel Z97 MB with a Core i7 4790K 4Ghz processor with 16GB of DDR3 1866 memory with all settings set to default or auto in the BIOS. I thought it was odd how it passed ALL the stress tests I applied, but only failed running f4v files in PBX! I have not noticed any performance issues with turbo turned off. Game play is smooth, and as this is a dedicated PC for the Pinball Cabinet it should be fine.