All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Three axis Joystick?

RIP-Felix

Does anyone know of a joystick that allows you to pull up and press down as a third axis control for Space theme games like Descent, where you can slide up and down in addition to the familiar forward, back, left and right common to FPS? I'm interested in making a control scheme with this joystick in my left hand for sliding in all 3 dimensions. In the right hand would be a second traditional flight joystick with the familiar yaw and pitch controls + multiple firing buttons/sliders for weapon select, bombs/mines, primary and secondary fire. The idea is to have an intuitive control scheme for movement in all three axes (XYZ + Pitch/yaw. Roll might be too much).

The only solution I have found is a twisting joystick, which is not what I'm looking for in a three axis joystick. Seems like this would be easy to find, but then it really is only useful in space games/or ROV control schemes (not many, if any, games in that genre though). I'm just a huge fan of the DESCENT series and always dreamed of these controls.

What about using the throttle control?

It lacks the ability to slide left and right. Any joystick will let you move forward, back. left and right. But what I want is up and down in the 3rd dimention, in addition to the other 2.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

I found this which is actually vary similar in functionality to what I'm looking for. I'm not too sure about the tilting mechanism and design, but it is pretty sweet. On the pricier side, this looks friggin awesome. I need this in a sit down driving/flight/space sim with Nvidia 3D vision monitors. Oh, the Ideas! Anyone figured out that 3D panoramic Projector yet? The realism potential combined perhaps with VR headsets has me buzzing to fork out $$$! In that category this is very interesting. Pair it with an oculus rift or another good VR headset and this VR thing is starting to look very immersive/interactive.

Ahh elite - man you know how to push my buttons <pun> ,and that reminds me of something I meant to post elsewhere.

Anyway thinking on this it would be fairly easy to make a stick using a linear sliding potentiometer either on the ball top that you move with your thumb for up/down or with a hollow shaft that slides.

An ultimarc Apac connected to it would then show as a game pad maybe?.

Ps, never saw your original comment anyway, I just love the engineering of it ; )

Yup, that is the ultility of what I'm looking for. Wish there was a more professional option. Might be a fun project though. I should look into elite, I was thinking more for Descent, but that video looks fun. Always thought being able to seemlesly slide up/down with left/right and forward/reverse would open up the manuvering in space games and make you invincable. Corkscrew manuvers, check! I'll have to look into this more.

Ps, never saw your original comment anyway, I just love the engineering of it ; )

Based on the pictures you linked, "looks cool, but I bet the seat is uncomfortable". The second one down reminds me of a bicycle seat, made from wood. After I saw it in action, I realized just how cool it really was!

So the answer is that you can use a 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse in games like elite dangerous (see video). Aparently you can use an Occulus Rift in Elite Dangerous also! Now I want this. I need more money!

Thanks for posting that as I was really curious how well that would work, and it looks like it does so quite well too.

You will never get me to part with my X52 PRO and edtracker though for elite, after 1000 hours in it is now a part of me ;-).

The X52 PRO has the right stick for pitch and roll, yaw is via twisting and the throttle of course covers forwards and reverse thrust but also has a hat for your left index finger for vertical and lateral thrust - yes I highly recommend it!.

And yeah I too really want a rift, just need to learn to type blind properly first.

...And yeah I too really want a rift, just need to learn to type blind properly first.

That could be a problom huh? Do you really need the Keyboard if you have the flight sticks, IDK since I'm just now looking into elite? And yeah, if i Shell out for Elite or EVE I probably will get a RIFT, still $350 is pretty steep. I'd like it just to play TLOZ: Windwaker in dolphin. I'm thinking of getting one just for that. Elite, EVE, many racing games supportr it too. So I think it would be a solid entertainment investment if you have or plan to get more than one game that supports it.

Crazy how far VR has come!

That could be a problom huh? Do you really need the Keyboard if you have the flight sticks, IDK since I'm just now looking into elite? And yeah, if i Shell out for Elite or EVE I probably will get a RIFT, still $350 is pretty steep. I'd like it just to play TLOZ: Windwaker in dolphin. I'm thinking of getting one just for that. Elite, EVE, many racing games supportr it too. So I think it would be a solid entertainment investment if you have or plan to get more than one game that supports it.

Crazy how far VR has come!

That all depends on how you plan to play, if you only plan to play in solo against npc`s` then yes you can do everything with just a controller.

However if you think you may play in open then personally I think a keyboard is essential for interacting with players via the comms panel as at some time you will meet a pirate or bounty hunter.

Some folks run for the hills even if you just say "Hi" and never talk to anyone, so it is personal choice.

Star citizen is also about to launch the social module so again text chat is possible.

A work colleague is doing the modeling for This and is excited about the HTC Vive, but I think I will still go for the rift.

The rift is supported by way more projects than anything else right now. So, yeah rift. If you knew brail then you could read the keyboard buttons by feel and wouldn't need to see it! Otherwise you would need to be really familiar with it. But be carful not to be more familiar with you keboard than you are with you wife, she might get jelous :P.

That sphere game looks reminiscent of Tempest, only in 3DVR. IDK, looks kinda weird.

You still need to buy the lenses, right? Yeah, the only reason I've held out as long as I have is because there's competition and maybe a cheap simple hack will become available to allow me to use an old phoe and some cardboard. If the only thing I have to buy is a couple of lenses, providing they are not too expensive, I'd be all over that. So long as it will dork in Dolphin;)