All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

{RESOLVED] Anyone know how to get PC-FX games running?

uberpubert69

When it comes to Mednafen, you should try RetroArch instead since it uses the same core.

Not sure if it runs PC-FX, you'd have to look into that. :)

• Like 2

When it comes to Mednafen, you should try RetroArch instead since it uses the same core.

Not sure if it runs PC-FX, you'd have to look into that. :)

If it uses the same core it should. Thanks for the suggestion, I was actually debating on using retroarch over mednafen. Since I'm having no luck with mednafen I'll try that. Would just need to know the command for retroarch.

I would make sure it runs through the gui first. Then the command line is the easy part.

They don't always invoke all code in the core. For example, VBA-M doesn't run Game Boy Color even though the emulator does.

Are you starting to come around? I try everything too in most situations, but sometimes just throwing money at a situation can help as a last resort :P

Yes, I got PC-FX successfully running on GameEx now. All I needed to do was put the same command as I have for my TG-CD games. Really don't see why people make such a big stink about Magic Engine. It runs perfectly (from tons of games I've tried) and is easy as hell to set up. Seems worth the price to me (sure is old though). No BIOS was even needed. But I'd like this thread to stay open in the event someone knows how to get a freeware solution up and running and would like to share. ;)

Thanks for all the info Parka! I know one of the things that some users struggle with is the command line driven interface. I don't mind it so much since I don't mind faffing about on the command line to figure things out, but for some folks the lack of GUI is a deal breaker. Just out of curiosity have you experimented with any of the available frontends for Mednafen, and if so do you have any recommendations in that regard?

Thanks for the info Parka! In all honesty when i was diligent with my sets, i already had most of what i wanted sorted already. It was only when i went looking for PC-Engine/TG that i came across both, and at the time Mednafen was far more complicated than i was willing to invest (at that point). I know now it has advanced considerably and will give some good attention when i next setup my system :)

I don't regret my purchase though because Magic Engine is a great piece of software, regardless of whether people agree with it or not - it works, and it works well.

I will give Mednafen another chance next time though - you've convinced me :)

I'll stick to Magic Engine since I already paid for it and it works great. But I do use the Mednafen core in RetroArch for some things and I can't complain. :)