All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Daphne...arrrghh! (Help!)

the_greeze

Hi all,

I'm new to GameEX but not to emulators and front ends in general but I'm having no luck getting Daphne to run in GameEX.

Daphneloader works outside of GameEX and launches Dragons Lair and Space Ace perfectly (I'm aware that "daphne.exe" is the called executable from within GameEX). :)

I have tried various combos of command line options from the other threads in the forum but have hit a brick wall. I wonder if this could be the issue (and if it is, how do I fix it?!):

11:37:57.9 21/06/2015: Could not find file 'C:\GameEx\data\emulators\.mdb'.

Log and ini files attached.

Any help, greatly appreciated :) Thanks.

I should add that the only laserdisc game I have tried to get running at the moment is 'Dragon's Lair'. The idea being, get one working and then the rest... ;)

log.txt

GameEx.ini

Edited by the_greeze

May not help but I've got all Daphne games EXCEPT Dragon's Lair to work. Is this the same for you? I can't remember why DL didn't load but gave up lol. As fir all others it was the command line arguments that were the issue. If you need I can look into my settings when I get a chance.

Hi Buzzin,

I haven't tried any others TBH. I spent so much time yesterday trying to get DL working that I had no enthusiasm to try anything else! I will give Space Ace a try in the next couple of days though.

MAME works perfectly and I have no issues with the GameEX software itself (it's great!) but this Daphne issue... grrrr :angry: I suspect it may be framefile related but I'm passing the same command line via GameEx that Daphneloader sends. I'm stuck!

Thanks.

Hi Buzzin,

I haven't tried any others TBH. I spent so much time yesterday trying to get DL working that I had no enthusiasm to try anything else! I will give Space Ace a try in the next couple of days though.

MAME works perfectly and I have no issues with the GameEX software itself (it's great!) but this Daphne issue... grrrr :angry: I suspect it may be framefile related but I'm passing the same command line via GameEx that Daphneloader sends. I'm stuck!

Thanks.

Here is the command line I use with Daphne vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -nohwaccel

Hope this helps. And yes, I believe that Dragons Lair WAS a lframefile issue that I tried and tried to fix, but finally gave up lol.

I'm pretty sure I tried those command lines but I'll try them again soon. I'm gonna try Space Ace first though and see if I can get that working. It's frustrating as all the games work fine via Daphneloader and I'm passing the exact same command line to Daphne via GameEX but with no success... :(

I have ALL the Laser Disc games set-up and working with Daphne thru GameEX. I'll post my command lines and maybe check the config wizard too, post back in a bit

Here's what I got under Daphne:

Daphne Options: vldp -fullscreen - useoverlaysb 1 -bank 0 11011001 -bank 1 00100011 -x 800 -y 600 -nohwaccel

and then Dragon's Lair just points to the framefile

I don't know why GameEX is looking for a database (C:\GameEx\data\emulators\.mdb) but I know mine isn't set-up that way

• Like 1

I don't think GameEX is successfully calling daphne.exe. When I run daphne.exe outside of GameEX (with no parameters), I get the attached error message and daphne_log.text gets updated accordingly.

This is expected behaviour. I have, after all, tried to run daphne.exe with no game parameters!

However, if I try to run daphne.exe through GameEX (again, with no parameters), I don't get that error message and the daphne_log.txt file doesn't get written to.

This is leading me to think that daphne.exe isn't getting called from within GameEX.

I really would appreciate some more help here guys, particularly from a dev if possible because this is weird.

post-28887-0-46240400-1435160382_thumb.p

log.txt

GameEx.ini

post-28887-0-42030700-1435161268_thumb.p

16:47:42.5 24/06/2015: Could not find file 'C:\GameEx\data\emulators\.mdb'.

that seems to be the problem, it looks for a database, doesn't find it, then exits GameEX?

• Like 1

Success! :D

Thank you for your help Gents. I have finally got them working. The problem was that if I messed up the command line options and then tried to launch a laser game, GameEX would simply hang and I'd have to close it via Task Manager. Then I'd try another variation of command line and try again. Same result. Repeat over and over etc.

It seems that simply closing down (and then re-opening) the crashed GameEx wasn't enough; I needed a full system restart to clear the issue. Once the system had restarted, I was able to get the command line options correct and actually get the games to run. So, all the attempts after the first GameEX crash were futile without a restart! No wonder I wasn't getting anywhere... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

It should be noted here that if GameEx doesn't quit gracefully (ie crashes) you will need to kill it manually. You can simply do that from the task manager instead of having to restart your machine every time. This also applies to GameExtender since the crash won't send the command to quit it if the exe isn't going through it's closing steps.

The same can be said for many apps.

• Like 2