All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

HELP!! GameEx Locks up and Kicks me Out

sneakyspider

Hello,

I have just pulled out my arcade cabinet from a couple of years of storage. I booted up and GameEx auto installed that latest version. Now nothing seems to work. I get kicked out almost as soon as GameEx loads. Sometimes it locks up and I have to shut down the program using the task manager. I am using MameUI .135u2

Mame works just fine without GameEx. I am using XP. Not sure if the new version of GameEx is having a hard time with XP or my version of Mame. Please help . Thanks!!!

GameEx.ini

log.txt

log.txt

Try downloading the installer from gameex.com and install it manually over your existing installation. Please report back if this fixes the problem and provide an updated log.txt file if not. Thanks!

Also, are you using a video? It looks like that video may either not exist or its not loading properly.

Before I posted the log files, I did manualy download GameEx and do a fresh install. I also tried creating a new folder and I did a fresh install in a differnet location. They both did not work. The log and .ini files I posted were after doing a manual install. Not sure what you mean by using a video. I am not trying to view any videos outside of the animated snaps that GameEx uses. I did see on the forums something about turning off an option in the advanced Mame settings. I think it was "not indexing all the games" or maybe not doing a game audit as is loads up. Not sure if this is something that I should try. If so, where do I find this setting? Is it on one of the GameEx setup screens?

I noticed that as soon as I load up GameEx, things look good. But as soon as I click "Mame" and the game list starts to come up, I will try to scroll through the list of games. Within a few seconds everything locks up.

20:58:51.2 6/17/2015: Opening: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

20:58:51.2 6/17/2015: Failed Opening Video: d:\emulators\mameui32\avisnap\openice.avi

These are the last lines in your log, which is what led to the question about the video. Do you have restrictive permissions set up on any of your emulation or artwork directories? Have you tried running GameEx as administrator, and do you have the same issue when you do so? Do you have the AMD Raptr client running at the same time that this is happening?

There are no restrictions on any of my folders. I log in as "Administrator" so I have admin rights for everything. As far as AMD Raptr client, I am not familiar with that. Is there a easy way to check that. I certainly don't think I every installed that. I will try to check to see if there is anything running with that name. I see a line in the log that says that the memory may be corrupt. Hmmm .. I run Memtest86 with no issues so that seems unlikely. I see your point about the error "Failed to open Video ....." Maybe I should try removing the "avisnap" files as a test. thoughts? Thanks for the advice!

I was just reading your ini and logs, shows a 9400 GT GPU, so you shouldn't have to worry about Rptor. It is part of the AMD Catalyst suite, and has been proven guilty of many crashes with GameEx and PinballX as of late, so it's always suspect.

Have you checked for a new video card driver?

• Like 1

Thanks... Yes I have a NVIDIA 9400 GT... No.. I have not checked for a new video driver. Windows automaticaly found the correct video card and installed the driver. It shows the correct video card so I assumed the driver was ok... I could go to the NVIDIA web site and look for a different WindowsXP driver. I will go there and see what they have. Thanks!

To be honest I don't think the frontend is the issue. By your first post, the cabinet and PC were in storage for a couple of years and, I am assuming, hadn't been run during that time. That would mean you have missed some important updates to the OS that is now no longer supported by MS. Whether it is your RAM, a corruption with the OS, or some other hardware issue, GameEx functionality it taking a hit. Running MAME by itself outside of GameEx is not as taxing on the OS and resources as running GameEx.

Check Event Viewer to see if there is something going on with other parts of the OS that you are not aware of. You may want to consider backing up your media, ROMs, and GameEx folder to preserve your settings and reimaging your system. This would probably be a good chance to upgrade your OS to one that is supported by MS.

• Like 1