All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Nestopia "Couldn't switch display mode"

alondero

Whenever I try to launch Nestopia from GameEx I get the error "Couldn't switch display mode!". I don't get this issue when running the game direct from Nestopia.

There doesn't appear to be anything of interest in either the GameEx log or Nestopia log.

Has anyone come across this before?

log.txt

Hi alondero, and Welcome to the GameEx forums!

Will you please try the following, and report back with your results?

• Launch Nestopia the way that you normally would through GameEx (i.e. Select a game, Launch it, etc.)
  • Let it do whatever it does, exit the game, and then exit GameEx
  • Now go to: Start > All Programs > GameEx > Utilities > Run Last Game and click that

If you get the same error when using Run Last Game, will you please post the contents of your runitgame.bat (see here for details)? If you don't get the same error using Run Last Game would you post your log (before you run GameEx again).

Please feel free to post any issues regarding Snes9x in a separate thread (along with applicable supporting documentation - Emulator Config, Log after running Snes9X, etc.)

Thanks for the welcome nullPointer, I'm a seasoned Hyperspin user and took the plunge last weekend after being impressed with the ease of setup and some really basic features that I love (like last played lists for example).

I followed your instructions below and it ran fine when using 'Run Last Game'. I've attached the log. I wonder if it is anything to do with the following line?

Warning: Display is running in full screen compatibility mode

log.txt

I wonder if it is anything to do with the following line?

Warning: Display is running in full screen compatibility mode

Great catch. Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. When you get a sec, take a look at the Full Screen Windowed setting found on the Display Settings screen in the Setup Wizard. Make sure it's set to Disabled and see how you get along. Hopefully that's it, otherwise we can continue to have a look.

When you get a sec, take a look at the Full Screen Windowed setting found on the Display Settings screen in the Setup Wizard. Make sure it's set to Disabled and see how you get along.

Unfortunately, it is already disabled :-(

Definitely think there is some form of full screen issue though - as my performance issues with Snes9x as mentioned above (and in my other topic) are related to it being in full screen too...

Probably a crap shoot here, but if you have Gaming Evolved by Raptr running as part of your Catalyst suite, exit it and see if it helps. Its been recently discovered by zabrin to cause bizzare problems.

• Like 2

Probably a crap shoot here, but if you have Gaming Evolved by Raptr running as part of your Catalyst suite, exit it and see if it helps. Its been recently discovered by zabrin to cause bizzare problems.

Good shout, but unfortunately uninstalling Raptr didn't have an effect... :-(

I'm going to fiddle around with the display settings though to see if anything makes a difference

More information:

• This is unlikely to be because of emulator config as I get this error even when manually starting up Nestopia whilst GameEx is running
  • I don't get this issue when running GameEx in windowed mode
  • I don't get this issue when running from other full screen launchers like Steam Big Picture or Hyperspin for example
  • I occasionally get an alternative error in Nestopia of 'Direct3D is busy'

I'm therefore thinking that GameEx is holding some sort of exclusive lock on Direct3D when in full screen mode?

My only concern with your setup at present is that you are running Windows 10 Home Insider Preview. As with any software, it is possible that there is a conflict with GameEx and whatever display handling code that is available within Windows 10 that may not be "fully baked."

While I am sure Tom may be able to determine if this is not the case, it does kind of muddy the waters a little when trying to resolve what may be an environmental/OS issue that is not allowing the emulator and GameEx to play nice together.