All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

How to customize GameEx databases?

shroud

Sometimes it seems GameEx mistakes a game for another, and shows it with wrong title in an emulator's list of games. I have also noticed some occasional mistakes in a game's year.

For the displayed names only, I used to edit the MAP files, but these are often re-generated (maybe when GameEx detects there are files added or removed from the ROM folders?), so I would like to find a way to keep my changes permanent.

If I understand right, names for the generated MAP files are automatically retrieved (when "use database names" is enabled in settings) by GameEx from a "database file" somewhere, but which files? Can I just edit them directly like I do with MAP files? Or will GameEx connect online and update/refresh those files, overwriting my changes also there?

Thanks!

GameEx uses SQLite (*.db3) databases located under \GameEx\DATA\EMULATORS. If the SQLite database is not present GameEx will fall back to using an identically named Access (*.mdb) database which are considered legacy at this point. These databases are packaged as part of the GameEx installation, so while GameEx Online won't overwrite the databases, updating your GameEx installation might. Given this, it is recommended that you don't set out on your own to update the databases, being that all your hard work could be overwritten during an update. One caveat to this rule is that the Access databases are no longer updated so you should be safe to remove the SQLite database and update the Access version. Even still please realize that you may need to remove the SQLite database in the future during subsequent updates.

When I was working on the map files for my emulators, I found that if the map files were not properly formatted, sometimes games displayed the wrong descriptions. Make sure every single line in your map file is formatted correctly. :)

• Like 1

Thank you!!

I have found all the .db3 files in the suggested folder, but there is only one .mdb there (for MAME), plus a template.mdb

Is there a way to directly open and edit the .db3 files? I have OpenOffice rather than MS Access, and it seems capable of opening the .mdb files, but I couldn't find how to open the .db3 files... there's a MySQL option but not an SQLLite option, and even the MySQL seems to want a server address... Unfortunately I've never used this stuff, I just assumed these files would be editable easily like Excel files...

By the way to clarify, the .MAP files seem to have the correct titles in those cases where in GameEx a wrong title is displayed. For example, I have a NES section with one game being "Kirby's Adventure". In the MAP file I can see "Kirby's Adventure" but in GameEx it shows "Gorby's Pipeline". I don't remember if I have fixed this title in the MAP file before, but the point is that GameEx still gets the title from somewhere else, not from the MAP, so I presume it's from the DB3?

Here are some suggested apps for viewing/editing the SQLite databases. Plese note Tom's note at the bottom of the first post, as that is what will allow you to open the .db3 files through Access. Once again though please be aware that making direct edits to the SQLite databases is not the safest or recommended approach to take here. I'm guessing you should be able to import the SQLite database into an Access database via Access itself (not 100% on that, but relatively certain).

This is the straight version - You can alter the DB's all you like but make sure they won't get overwritten. There are BIG DB updates coming in the future. You can either hold tight and accept what is coming (my preference) or alter the DB's yourself. Either way you should backup any databases you alter.

/my2cents

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There are BIG DB updates coming in the future. You can either hold tight and accept what is coming (my preference) or alter the DB's yourself. Either way you should backup any databases you alter.

Ok, I will then wait for the updates before attempting any large permanent customizations.

One caveat to this rule is that the Access databases are no longer updated so you should be safe to remove the SQLite database and update the Access version. Even still please realize that you may need to remove the SQLite database in the future during subsequent updates.

Looking in advance after the huge database updates, this sounds what I should be doing: remove (and backup) an SQL DB file that I am not satisfied with, and let GameEx use the corresponding MDB file for that emulator. But where are the MDB files? :) Should I try to create them manually? Or convert manually from the SQL files?

Well if it were me and I was making updates (which I have, particularly for translated games):

1. Copy the database you want to make changes to somewhere else

2. Give it a different name (I usually just add [CUSTOM] to the end

3. Make your adds and edits to the new database file (I use Access for this)

4. Save it

5. Point your emulator at your new database

6. Clear the cache files and reboot GameEx

• Like 2