All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Clean list of roms in emulators

Evilforces

Hello everyone,

I have some collections of games (no-intro) in which there is the same version of the game in several regions (jap) (eu) (usa) ...

My question is: is there an option to not repeat these versions in the list of GameEx and thus have a clean list?.

If I choose the option of "database names" on Gameex config, it will appear only the roms that are in the database?

In what way can you have a clean list of roms in GameEx if you have many different versions of games?

I love having the full entire collection of all my emulators, but i prefear to have a clean list of it. I need to combine this two things to reach the Nirvana :-)

How you guys manage this situations?

Like I'm asking something that is not possible ... do not know.

Thank you very much in advance.

I just firing away here since i'm not at home, but I remeber in MAME Advanced options (maybe you can do this for any emulator)

you can add filtering syntax, like clone, jap, majong... not to be shown in the selectable list for the emulator :rolleyes:

Ok, I tried the option to merge sets and seems to not repeat any game list, but I see that does not clean the games do not work.

What criteria are used to create the list when you choose the option of merged sets? Is it possible to choose which games do not appear? (without using filters)

Another problem I found is that if when I choose the option database name, the list does not correspond with the game on the screen.

I reported this problem in another thread. I know the solution is that closing or deleting the cache files, but in my case this not solved the problems all the times.

I think it would have to check this aspect of GameEx and the method to renew the cache. My experience with this problem is not positive so far.

Thanks for your answers.

Hi Evilforces,

We'll approach this on a point by point basis

Ok, I tried the option to merge sets and seems to not repeat any game list, but I see that does not clean the games do not work.

Yes, unfortunately most 'normal' emulators don't have a way to predicatively 'know' which games are non-functional, and GameEx doesn't not maintain a database of non-functional games (this would actually be an incredibly huge endeavor). (As you probably know) MAME is able to do this since it considers the ROMs to be part and parcel of the emulator itself. The MAME executable is able to generate a list of non-functional games, which is how GameEx allows you to filter non-working games under MAME.

If you have interest in removing games from your list by common filtering criteria, one option is to apply some management directly to your ROM directories themselves. This doesn't have to be as tedious as it sounds being that it's possible to do with some useful directory commands. Many moons ago, when I was but a GameEx pup, I wrote a post to that effect. Check it out if you're interested. Maybe if I find myself with a bit of extra time (yeah, right ;)) I'll look at into turning it into a utility of some sort.

What criteria are used to create the list when you choose the option of merged sets? Is it possible to choose which games do not appear? (without using filters)

The Merge Sets feature allows you to group all games with a matching name under a single entry in your game list, so matching name is the filtering criteria here. When I say matching name, I mean that it doesn't consider parenthetical text (like region, version, prototype, etc.) to be part of the matching criteria, only the name of the game itself.

Another problem I found is that if when I choose the option database name, the list does not correspond with the game on the screen.

I reported this problem in another thread. I know the solution is that closing or deleting the cache files, but in my case this not solved the problems all the times.

the GameEx databases are an amazing accomplishment in terms of aggregating a ton of different game data all under one roof, but they are also not perfect. Currently Greatflash is our solitary database warrior out there on the frontlines improving things for all of us, but it is a massive undertaking. I'm guessing that you've run across a few incorrect database entries. The best thing to do here will likely be to report the issue to Flash (if you haven't already). In the meantime you can make your own edits to the database(s) if you wish using freely available tools. The one huge caveat here is that your hard work may be overwritten with subsequent updates to GameEx, so please do take that under advisement.

• Like 1

FWIW, I just wanted to add that I keep my list clean by making a MAP file and then copying only the roms in my MAP file to a seperate directory using the Map File Maker app. There's a feature to load a MAP file, set an input and output directory, and move these roms.

I know it's not the solution you're hoping for but my list is neat and clean. ;)

Obviously this will not fix your database issue or filter non-working roms or anything, but I added that so I can keep only games I personally want on the server and 7-zip the full set for archiving.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

Thanks for your answer Null, i will try the solutions on the post you linked and comment the results. All the rest of your post clarify me a lot things. Thank You!!

Thanks Adultery too... It could be a solution for the problem.