All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] winUAE & amiga

sms2169

reading through numerous posts on setting up amiga one I came across was headkazes response that gameex is moving toward setting up winuae so that eventually you can use just winuae with no loader. I was wondering if that has been accomplished yet or is using the loader still really the best option for setting up amiga in gameex. I can get winuae to run outside gameex and can see why the loader is used, and from the little time I messed with setting it up in gameex without the loader im guessing it is still needed to get it to run the best without constant configuring, as the standard command line doesn't launch without some tweaking but have only found other command line options to set up amiga cd32 and nothing direct to winuae adf & ipf files. if this is the way to do it I will dive into setting that up, there is very good info on this but will probably be back for help as everyone says this is the hardest emulator to setup but worth it for the nostalgia and amount of games you are able to play, thanks.

There are a number of benefits to using WinUAE loader with Gameex, but the most awesome is that you are able to easily set up to use WHDload versions of Amiga games. This is a massive plus because WHDload versions load almost instantaneously, like a cartridge. Once you try this, you'll never go back to standard game ROMs.

Another way to easily set up a massive pile of instant Amiga games instead of using WinUAEloader is to import Gamebase Amiga. This works easily and is worth trying, although you end up with a list of thousands of games and it has a huge drawback of not allowing video snaps in your Gameex menu. Instead you can only have still images which makes the Amiga games feel lifeless and old in your Gameex collection. With WinUAE loader however, you can easily replace boring old still snaps with high quality video snaps, alongside your favorite MAME, SNES, etc games.

The Amiga game library is so massive with some real standouts and it's well worth the effort of setting up on GameEx.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks I set up winuae and the winuae loader and is working together on the whdload set(not running in gameex yet)but no games showing for amiga, sps, or demo and 2655 of 2655 in the whd set. I read these may not be supported or has that changed and I have the wrong set? I have 3 other sets-the 31.5g set, no-intro and tosec. I also have downloaded gamebase, gamebase amiga and gb64. I need to work on getting those running yet, so that will should give me the sps, demo and gamebase amiga options winuae loader doesn't correct? My last question is should I just leave out winuae loader from gameex and just use gamebase for all my pc systems acorn, c64, St, amiga etc., as it seems there is no easier option for those old systems? I may leave winuae in gameex just for show since it works unless I'm missing the advantage. thanks Macguvyer

The bu22.com for gamebase link says forbidden is there another link to the new hompage?

Not sure which set you were referring to when you read that they might not be supported. However if you have the WHDLoad set working outside of GameEx, then it shouldn't be too difficult to get it working inside.

WinUAELoader works with 3 sets: WHDLoad, SPS and Gamebase Amiga. So in theory you can have all 3 of those sets working in GameEx by using WinUAE Loader. (You can also set up the Gamebase Amiga set directly in GameEx, which I found easier to set up for the Gamebase Amiga set)

There are a number of benefits to using WINUAELoader compared to Gamebase. Easy setup of the WHDLoad set is the most important which means lighting quick game starts, followed by the ability to use video snapshots, among other things. The advantage of using Gamebase is the fact that GameBase is basically a complete set of every single game and has absolutely everything, plus it's easy to setup in GameEx. But the games load slowly.

If you need detailed instructions of how to setup the WHDLoad rom set in GameEx via WinUAE Loader, check out the following:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/14158-resolved-gameex-and-winuae-amiga-games-in-gameex/?hl=whdload#entry119823

Gamebase Amiga files are located here:

http://gbamiga.elowar.com/#Download

I don't understand what's going on with bu22.com. Hopefully it's temporary?

I don't understand what's going on with bu22.com. Hopefully it's temporary?

I am wondering if the site was taken down. It must have happened recently, but i am not sure how to confirm. At anyrate, the latest GameBase v1.3 frontend can be downloaded from Sourceforge.

Thanks guys I have the loader working in gameex now for the whdload set and I am going to use gamebase for the rest as I will be trying to get the old computer systems ran through that. I'm close to being up and running with just getting downloaded files sorted. Gamebase does seem to be ideal for those from what I've read. For now it will be Atari st, amiga, and commodore 64 to start. Hopefully they do apple as I still haven't been able to get that to load with applewin in gameex(I gave it a break for now). As far as the link it also seems anytime you download a gamebase system they have the gamebase download with it, just thought I would see if someone was aware that the main page everyone refers to was broken. Thanks.

I understand that the GameBase for Atari 8-bit has some gems in it as well. That will be one along with Atari ST that I will likely load up as well. Having been a SysOp for an Atari 8-bit dedicated BBS years back, I am kinda partial to that series of systems. :)

• 2 weeks later...