All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Why wont these roms work: Missing roms/chds

aldub516

My quest for perfect roms continues. My last thread helped a lot and i got a very nice clean list for 149 as well as a new compiled 149 mame. Im running through my games and now find that some games that always worked are not working anymore. 2 in mind are marvel vs capcom clash of heros, and super puzzle fighter turbo 2. Both of these games always worked for me. Now they dont even run in mame. They say missing rom or chd files. Im absolutely sure i have the right rom, which is mvsc.zip, Ive replaced it, and redownloaded it twice incase clrmame messed up the file. I dont believe they need bios, but i do have all the bios i need anyway. Ive researched all i can, but beyond that I have no idea why i cant get these games to work. I guess the same would apply to a few random games that arent working for me, but these 2 i particularly researched and found no solutions. Im running mame .149 and neither gameex nor mame will run them, giving me a missing rom or chd file error

Edited by aldub516
Please do not discuss how roms are obtained. Refer to the forum rules

It sounds to me like you'll want to verify your roms using a rom auditing tool like ClrMamePro or ROM Center. These tools will afford the benefit of listing what specific components of your rom sets are missing (or rename them for you if that turns out to be the issue). Also remember that CHD files themselves aren't static and unchanging; they receive updates just like rom sets when MAME releases a new version (CHDs just aren't updated quite as often).

Here's a pretty decent tutorial for using ClrMamePro, which is also capable of verifying your CHDs (described briefly here).

• Like 3

Also, and i admit i'm not clued up too much on Fighters/ Beat 'em Ups but Marvel Vs Capcom never worked in MAME. It may have worked in Naomi, with some persuassion, or may be even nullDC, but it never worked in MAME - ever. Unless you know something i don't? May be you do :)

If so please enlighten me so i may pass the knowledge on.

• Like 1

First thing: both mentioned games are working without problems on my 0157 setup. Both games dont use CHDs, so my guess is, that something is wrong with your roms regarding these games.

with these commandlines, you can verify your roms or do it with GameEx and "verify roms" option enabled:

-verifyroms [<gamename|wildcard>]

Checks for invalid or missing ROM images. By default all drivers that
have valid ZIP files or directories in the rompath are verified;
however, you can limit this list by specifying a driver name or
wildcard after the -verifyroms command.

-romident [path\to\romstocheck.zip]

Attempts to identify ROM files, if they are known to MAME, in the
specified .zip file or directory. This command can be used to try and
identify ROM sets taken from unknown boards. On exit, the errorlevel
is returned as one of the following:

0: means all files were identified
7: means all files were identified except for 1 or more "non-ROM"
files
8: means some files were identified
9: means no files were identified

Check that you have all roms marked in red, because sometimes you need the clones to get one working version. the example here, is for "Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes":

post-9755-0-64131000-1422531871_thumb.jp

The "mvsc.zip" should contain the following files, but this is for MAME 0157, it may differ for your version :( :

NAME SIZE CRC
-------------------------------------------------------------------
mvce.03a 0524288 824e4a90
mvce.04a 0524288 436c5a4e
mvc.05a 0524288 2d8c8e86
mvc.06a 0524288 8528e1f5
mvc.07 0524288 c3baa32b
mvc.08 0524288 bc002fcd
mvc.09 0524288 c67b26df
mvc.10 0524288 0fdd1e26
mvc.13m 4194304 fa5f74bc
mvc.15m 4194304 71938a8f
mvc.17m 4194304 92741d07
mvc.19m 4194304 bcb72fc6
mvc.14m 4194304 7f1df4e4
mvc.16m 4194304 90bd3203
mvc.18m 4194304 67aaf727
mvc.20m 4194304 8b0bade8
mvc.01 0032768 41629e95
mvc.02 0131072 963abf6b
mvc.11m 4194304 850fe663
mvc.12m 4194304 7ccb1896

• Like 3

first off, you guys effin rock. So much help, all the time. thank you. I knew i used clrmame correctly and such, but i have solved my problem. It was simple. Someone else suggested that im missing "qsound.zip".. I checked my master rom folder to see if it existed and it did, then checked my working folder and boom no qsound. Copied the file over, and bam, we are fully working. I wonder what other games this does this for? Im sure its no luck that both games that didnt work because of it were capcom. Anyways guys, thank you as always! U can check out my current build in the rig section. You guys are always amazing. The support alone is worth the price of a gameex account

Follow up question, since i have all the bios i need, clearly qsound.zip got filtered out somehow this time around, but never before. I assume its a capcom soundbank type of file? Non the less, are there any other files i should be checking for missing that might mess up other game? Any support/sound/video.zips? This one file probably just fixed a gang of games

• Like 1

oh and to dazzle, the capcom game im talking about is marvel vs capcom 1 clash of fighters. This game always worked for as long as i know. Its M vs C PART 2 that doesnt work yet on mame that you are thinking of. Trade some knowledge for knowledge :)

• Like 2