All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] windows 7 , ddraw and arcade vga res switching problems

peterson65

anyone here using windows 7 and the arcade vga card? windows 7 has issues if using a interlaced desktop you get a error from direct draw. the workaround is setting the desktop to 640x288 wich kind of sucks.

or just use direct 3d. i have seen some posts that in hyperspin they have made a workaround that before each game launch it switches the desktop to a non interlaced and then back on exit. is there something like that in gameex that i can do? i like my desktop at 800x600 also gameex the same.

thanks

ps am i better off going back to xp? or maybe xp x64 even

Hi Peterson,

I'm not at my GX rig at the moment, but there is an option in Display Options i believe that will let you set your monitor as a low VGA, also there is an option somewhere that will let you explicitly change resolution... apologies that i can't find these options for you at present, but i can assure you they are there :)

Enable them both and you should see some progress ;)

but its nothing with the arcade vga itself, its direct draw and switching from a interlaced desktop. this is from ultimarcs page:

Important note about Windows 7 and 8

There is currently a known issue with Windows 7 switching between resolutions, which is caused by a bug in Windows 7 / DirectX.
If the desktop is running at an interlaced resolution (eg 640 x 480 on a standard-res monitor), When any game which uses a non-interlaced res is started (which is pretty much any Mame game), an error resuts "Unable to initialize directdraw".
Note this only happens if the desktop is running at an interlaced res, which is the case when using a standard res monitor (not a multi-frequency monitor).
There is a workaround for this: Run the desktop at a non-interlaced res such as 640 x 288. This might mean using a front end which has a 640 x 288 mode such as Mamewah.
The resolution can be switched using the Quickres icon.
There are also 3 useful utilities which can be downloaded here. These are simple programs which change to the specified res. So, you can configure a front end to run 640x288.exe to change to this resolution before starting the game. Once this has happened, Mame will then be able to invoke the correct resolution for the game.
Note to Mame devs: This issue does not arise if D3D is selected. But owing to not being able to disable stretching in D3D in Mame this results in a poor quality picture.

I could be wrong, but this does sort of sound like what you're getting at (or else I'm misunderstanding - not entirely unlikely!)

Stretch Res To X
Set StrechResToX and StretchResToY to the resolution to, stretch games to if a game runs at a height above 288, or would display interlaced.

• Like 1

I am not aware of this described problems here.... my advice, use GroovyMAME and try it. In GroovyMAME you have the option to do "correct" stretching even in D3D. If the topic would be true, the GroovyMAME forum would be full of the described problem here. Also I wonder how you manage a 800x600i resolution on a standard 15khz monitor, on mine it is impossible to do.

GameEx can handle only the resolutions, that are available for the windows OS too. I am sure you can change the resolution prior starting and after exiting a game, but I dont know the command line for this. Thats something I hope others here can solve ;) .

the monitor is a wells gardner d9800 so 800x600 is the max. its a tri sync. i may just deal with it and run d3d. i know its not arcade perfect and it doesnt look at as sharp but less of a headache and i never have any sound stutter with d3d as with ddraw. if i had to start over i would have built a cabinet with a large lcd and a normal video card. maybe a 65 inch lcd on the wall and my control panel on a pedestal a few feet in front of it with the computer inside of it? gun games would be a blast on a screen that size

Dude, you have one of the best crt-monitors ever produced. I also have a NEC 3PG, which has the same frequenzy range like the D9800.

With the D9800 you can run 800x600 in progressive mode and even 1280x1024 in interlaced mode.

To find GroovyMAME go here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135823.0.html

Deinstall all graphics driver you have and install these ones: http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65

Then read and install Arcade OSD found here: http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=46

Arcade OSD does the same like Quickres, but is way better

There are even presets for your monitor, so its very easy.

GroovyMAME is the best solution on this planet, when it comes to MAME-Emulation, it generates "pixel perfect" Modelines on the fly, so regarding MAME-games you will ALWAYS have the best settings possible. No matter what game you start, with your setup you can play ALL games in native resolution and nearly all, with native frequencies (depends on horizontal or vertical usage). It has way more resolutions available than arcade-vga drivers.

If you have any trouble, just ask, as we have nearly the same setup... and I will never go to LCD again, because CRT is just to awesome.

LCD is for noobs :D LCD is no joy at all, if you ever had experiencied a true CRT setup... believe me, I know what I am talking.

my Cab:

post-9755-0-05385400-1422373444_thumb.jp

and the beauty of a NEC 3PG (XM29) picture, look at this awesome scanlines and slot-mask:

post-9755-0-06197000-1422373611_thumb.jp

just watch this video :D :

• Like 1

Ok it can work, but only with the app Powerstrip, as it seems you are a novice, i wouldnt recommend this. Sell the card and buy one of the recommended "official" ATI cards shown on the CRT-Emu-Driver page. Sad to say this :( .

yea i think i need to ditch the arcadevga. should have left well enough alone as i had windows xp was running soft 15k and the built in nvidia video on my mothernoard and no problems, then i got the dumb idea hey lets redoo everything and install win 7 x64 then no more soft15k with the nvidiam should have just bought a good ati card not the arcadevga. oh well. i may still have my original drive with xp on it

Sad thing is... Nvidia will not work with GroovyMAME, not without Powerstrip and I cannot recommend it, as you can damage your awesome CRT, if you make it wrong. Sell the AVGA, buy a used recommended ATI on ebay... i have spent 40euros, for the fastest possible card, that was supported by GroovyMAME at that time and I am more than satisfied.

Funny part is, I started also with a Nvidia and Soft15khz... it did worked well, but comparing to GroovyMAME... its inferior ;) .

And like i said, you have one of the best CRT-Monitors of the world, I wouldnt do something "inbetween".

• Like 2

I want to give you a seal of approval but the truth is i have zero experience with CRT's. However, i have been watching u-man's progress since day one and he has done immense ground work on this subject. To the point of insanity in fact :P

I would listen to what he has to say, but also at the same time do your own research. If i ever came to have my own arcade CRT, i would ask him. Just sayin ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

Sad thing is... Nvidia will not work with GroovyMAME, not without Powerstrip and I cannot recommend it, as you can damage your awesome CRT, if you make it wrong. Sell the AVGA, buy a used recommended ATI on ebay... i have spent 40euros, for the fastest possible card, that was supported by GroovyMAME at that time and I am more than satisfied.

Funny part is, I started also with a Nvidia and Soft15khz... it did worked well, but comparing to GroovyMAME... its inferior ;) .

And like i said, you have one of the best CRT-Monitors of the world, I wouldnt do something "inbetween".

well i took a chance and went back to xp, installed the drivers for the built in nvidia and soft15khz ( pulled out the arcadevga) and liked how that worked much better so i took your sugestion and ordered a HD 4890

from ebay, should arive today or saturday and have groovymame 157 downloaded (to match my 157 roms) and crt emudriver . i will report back ps anyone want to by a arcadevga 5000 here in the states?

• Like 1

got the ati card installed with crt emudriver still haven't got groovymame going yet (sunday project) but just the card and the drivers I ran mameui set galaxian to auto on everything and it works! I have screwed around so much trying to get it to play without stutter and to fit the screen and look good with the arcade vga and never had good luck. now its looks awesome and fits. cant wait to get groovy up and going. thank!!! u-man

• Like 1

Awesome! Glad you got that sorted. U-man really knows his stuff when it comes to VGA :)

anyone want to by a arcadevga 5000 here in the states?

You may want to advertise your card in the Trade Forum. Though not as effective as a dedicated site such as ebay, you can be sure anyone looking in there has the same interests, and it has worked well for members :)

• Like 1

got the ati card installed with crt emudriver still haven't got groovymame going yet (sunday project) but just the card and the drivers I ran mameui set galaxian to auto on everything and it works! I have screwed around so much trying to get it to play without stutter and to fit the screen and look good with the arcade vga and never had good luck. now its looks awesome and fits. cant wait to get groovy up and going. thank!!! u-man

Glad to see it worked and that you start to like it allready. Go here and read carefully how to install properly: http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=46

For GroovyMAME there is not much to do... just change the paths to matchup your setup (i.e. Roms etc.) and change the monitor type to - MonitorType = "D9800" in your mame.ini ..... and you are ready to go :) .

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I welcome every true CRT enthusiast :D . With the configuration that we both have, we enjoy the lowest inputlag in the emulation world, of just 2-3 frames comparing to the average LCD MAME gamer, with a 6-7 frames inputlag :D . We nearly play every game in pixel perfect resolution and framerate/frequenzy. Its the one and only way to "true" arcade feeling... and not only arcade also nearly every other console based emulator is played like the original.

In other words, just enjoy your awesome monitor with a continuous frequency range of 15-38khz, that covers every arcade game and consoles up to the first HDTV ones ;) . From my point of view, I will never go back to LCD... ok, not really true.... i like my bartop as well ;) , but thats the only case, where i would accept the usage of a LCD :D .

• Like 2