All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Nice little utility I found

ClassicGMR

I've been storing movies on an external HDD lately and if I put them in iTunes sourced to that drive it would give me an error when I try to play it. Try again in a few minute and it would work fine. This drove me nuts for the longest time until I figured out (read : Stupid computer tech didn't realize this??) the external HDD (and a lot of internal HDD lately) park to save energy and wear when not accessed.

Embarassingly enough I work on computers and should have known better...

So I hit the interwebs and found a nice, tiny and free TSR program that does the trick. NoSleepHD 2.0

Writes a minute 64 byte text file to the drive at user-defined specified intervals. This has also become extremely useful to me in my GameEx cabinet as well since I can now keep all my files on an external HDD and move it from PC to PC to use without having to buy more hard drives. I now keep one hard back-up, one tower back-up and the external drive. It has been very nice. :wub:

Probably not news to most of you but if I've helped one person it's worth it! :D

• Like 4

This is actually a great find - i've disabled many USB/HDD settings in w7 trying for the same goal, and no matter what i try my external HDD will die and take 3-4 mins to "wake up". This becomes a major pain in ass when you need to restart windows frequently - in fact i often just pull the cable in frustration, thinking " if it dies it dies, i'm sick of waiting"

Thanks for the share CGMR :)