All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Potential Netflix API Alternative

cartisdm

I can't even begin to express how bummed I am that Netflix discontinued their public API. Building a 100% compatible front-end for my HTPC absolutely includes Netflix because my wife and I watch it daily. It sucks we would have to constantly exit GameEx and launch a browser with the keyboard/mouse.

That being said, I've been digging into alternatives. I'm very new to this community so please stop me if I'm duplicating efforts. I am not a programmer but here are two potential solutions:

Basic Info: Andrew Sampson built a custom Netflix API using data scraping called Netflix Roulette. His API categorizes the Netflix library in almost real-time using bots to gather information

Problems: Legality. This is an area I'm unfamiliar with but first thing that comes to mind is Netflix is eventually going to catch on and may put a stop to this

Netflix Roulette API

Andrew's Personal Page talking about his project

Discussion on Reddit

Basic Info: A web software called Kimono boasts the ability to create an API for any website. It is free at the moment for a basic account.

Problems: Too soon to tell. I am unfamiliar with how to initiate a project like this

Kimono Labs Website

I hope this is all ok and not breaking forum rules. Like I said, I'm brand new to this community but building a dedicate HTPC/emulator machine has been a dream project of mine for years so I'm very excited.

It's a real bummer that netflix has gone this route for sure.

Wouldn't a work around of this sort violate some sort of licensing or end user agreement? I don't know, and I certainly haven't embarked into reading all the lawyer speak, but since the netflix roulette developer already aludes this, I would think there is something to it. That being the case, I can't see it being appealing addition for GameEx.

It's a real bummer that netflix has gone this route for sure.

Wouldn't a work around of this sort violate some sort of licensing or end user agreement? I don't know, and I certainly haven't embarked into reading all the lawyer speak, but since the netflix roulette developer already aludes this, I would think there is something to it. That being the case, I can't see it being appealing addition for GameEx.

Totally understandable. That's why I included the legality as my main concern for Netflix Roulette. APIs are an area I know very little about.

That being said, there is a certain level of ambiguity in building an arcade interface centered around illegal ROMs in the first place :) (I know, I know...they are only illegal if you didn't buy the original blah blah blah...)

The legality is certainly one issue, but the other issue is that there would be development time for GameEx to integrate and interface with the 'rogue' API, coupled with a relatively high risk that Netflix would turn around and make it non-functional. At that point we're stuck with 2 non-functioning APIs instead of just one.

All the same it's pretty interesting, and I certainly appreciate you sharing the news!

I'm not sure, but I think the license Microsoft has is staying put. So if you have a Windows 7 or 8 machine, it already has a Netflix app built into Media Center. That is what I use, and when it comes time to play games, I just launch GameEx directly from there as well. As I said, I'm not sure though. There may come a time in the future where the Netflix app becomes dysfunctional or simply disappears from the Media Center menu. Until that time though, I'm happy with that. The one thing I really hate is the interface of the app on smart TV's and Bluray players. They look absolutely horrid, and don't offer any of the perks you get from the website (multiple accounts with their own bookmarks, etc). Hopefully things won't be as drastic as we all fear they're going to be.

• Like 1

There is another service called playon. It is a pay option, but I used it when xbmc did not have a working plugin. I think it uses upnp as a protocol. With playon, you might be able to add a network location for video files. I went down the same road to build the ultimate HTPC. But with all the streaming sites using different API's and they are always changing. I gave up and used plex server and mediabrowser server as the backed. Silicone HD Home Run Prime with cable card from my cable provider. Now I can stream my personal movies, tv shows, videos, HBOGO, Amazon video, Netflix, etc to a Roku3. To watch live tv I use mediabrowser and my Roku3. If I want to play games, well xbox360, ps3, arcade cabinet or HTPC which only runs GameEx. I spent at least 3 years trying make the HTPC work, what with a harmony remote, trying all the different media players. Xbmc, medibrowser, GameEx, all the interfaces were clunky, old, outdated. Then there is the wifey approval. The Roku3 is simple, clean, not flashy and it works. Now If GameEx evo comes out and has a slick SIMPLE interface that works with all the streaming content with no hacks I would take another look at it to run the living room. But until then my life has been a lot simpler using the outlined software and hardware. I am not trying to sound curt or rude, only looking to help in any way I can. Good luck with your project and I hope playon might help you.

I'm not sure, but I think the license Microsoft has is staying put. So if you have a Windows 7 or 8 machine, it already has a Netflix app built into Media Center. That is what I use, and when it comes time to play games, I just launch GameEx directly from there as well. As I said, I'm not sure though. There may come a time in the future where the Netflix app becomes dysfunctional or simply disappears from the Media Center menu. Until that time though, I'm happy with that. The one thing I really hate is the interface of the app on smart TV's and Bluray players. They look absolutely horrid, and don't offer any of the perks you get from the website (multiple accounts with their own bookmarks, etc). Hopefully things won't be as drastic as we all fear they're going to be.

Interesting. I wasn't aware Windows 7 had an app. Is there more information available for this? [REMOVED] I smell a solution in the works... :ph34r:

Edited by Draco1962
Please refrain from discussing hacks or other references that might refer to modifying or using software in a manner that may be illlegal.

Oops! My apologies. That wasn't my intention. I'll keep looking for solutions and report my findings. I wasn't aware there was such a big architectural difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8. Apparently it's impossible to run the windows 8 metro apps on windows 7. I don't really understand why they can't be ported. It is such a rarity to find a complete brick wall when it comes to technology.

Interesting. I wasn't aware Windows 7 had an app. Is there more information available for this? [REMOVED] I smell a solution in the works... :ph34r:

I don't know if it truly is an app. It might just be an external shortcut to a Netflix webpage INSIDE Media Center. It's located off the Movies tab in the menu. Thinking more about it, it might have been a plugin I installed from the Extras menu tab. Take a look.

Windows Vista and 7 are more alike than 7 and 8 in their build & is really nothing more than Vista at its very core - just fully baked. Metro apps are specific to the Windows 8 UI. As for Windows Media Center, it is a purchaseable add-on for the Windows 8 environment, costs $9.99.